Best Ballroom Dance Movies

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Nov 27, 2003.

1. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

How about the ORIGINAL "Shall We Dance"? It's a Japanese movie with English subtitles. Way better than the American remake.
  2. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

"Dirty Dancing, Havanna Nights"

"Tango Lesson"
  3. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

"Footloose"

Swing Kids"

Not ballroom but kind of cool movies, anyways...
  4. operabob

operabob New Member

5. Summer_Gray

Summer_Gray New Member

On an international flight recently.... I saw there is a movie called "Hero" with some dancing competition in it... I couldn't understand a thing though- because it's in Japanese with no subtitles. It looked funny as hell though.... someone was carried off the floor by paramedics during the tango. And the spectators were eating popcorn in the stands. I'd love if someone could tell me what all that was about.
  6. BillH

BillH New Member

Mad about Mambo with Keri Russell
  7. operabob

operabob New Member

Hey, Dancin' Bill!

See you at practice.

OB
  8. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

9. QPO

QPO New Member

Just got Centre State, Save the Last Dance, Havana Nights.
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Just watched Out to Sea. I no longer have any desire to become a dance host. ;) Love the scene where Walter Matthau breaks out some moves like a demented groundhog on caffeine as Jack Lemmon is trying to teach him cha cha...on 2! :grin:
  11. Cheery

Cheery New Member

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS with Leslie Caron and Gene Kelly. The dancing, sets and costumes are wonderful, up to this day. Most especially the long long scene where they are dancing all over Paris by night (obviously in a huge set) and there are throngs of people, extras, dancing all over the place.
  12. Cheery

Cheery New Member

ALso look for films with Cyd Charisse in them, and of course, Fred and Ginger!
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

A favourite of mine is Shall we Dance. I first saw the original Japanese version a few years before I got into dancing. I didn't really pay much attention -it was in japanese class, so a movie was a good chance to do other homework. Now I've seen the English version, and I really want to watch the original
  14. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

I enjoy the international take of ballroom dancing because it is very honest. I dont recall the movie "Hero" so i googled it but it about a lawyer or something like that. Hope someone can confirm the title. there are some chinese movies out there. I know of three but their more about life than competition.
  15. I long for the movie "Dance of the Dragon" to be made available here in the States. It's a ballroom/martial arts movie. It didn't do well in its native Singapore, nor did it do well internationally, so I suspect I'll never get a chance to see it. Ah well.
  16. Terpsichorean Clod

This one's for j_alexandra. ;)

Roseland

It's made up of three short stories set in New York's Roseland Ballroom.

"The Waltz" - a widow finds a magic mirror, but she needs the right partner to cast the reflection she desires.

"The Hustle" - a very young Christopher Walken is torn between three women: a promising dance partner, the older woman who keeps him, and a young romantic prospect.

"The Peabody" - a woman seeks a partner to fulfill her dream of winning a contest involving the mortally perilous extreme sport of...Peabody. Seriously. :razz: She fearlessly wades in despite the rising body count.
  17. Terpsichorean Clod

WH (or suburbaknght, since WH hasn't been posting much lately), did you ever get a chance to watch Dance of the Dragon?
  18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL thanks for the heads-up; I'll try to find it. Sounds like a great movie, especially that part about the Peabody. :p:p
  19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

And if you did, can you post here where you found it? I'd like to see it, too.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Really - Peabody?!?!? Dang, I gotta' go find this...LOL