Best Ballroom Dance Movies

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Nov 27, 2003.

1. jofjonesboro

jofjonesboro New Member

The original Shall We Dance is the film that inspired me to take up ballroom.

jj
  2. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

If I remember right it doesn't show the actual dance, just a lead-up to it.
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

There were a good number of peabody dance scenes. :)
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

King Ponce

I really enjoyed this short from England. A teenage boy is trying to fit into a clique. Can he keep his new "buddies" from finding out his secret passion...ballroom dancing?

It's just under 10 minutes and can be watched in entirety here. Probably about PG-13 for language.
    chomsky likes this.
  5. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

it was cute, thank you for posting the link
  6. Terpsichorean Clod

I just watched Come Dance at My Wedding. It's about a dance studio owner who is about to get married. She wants to sell the studio so she can go back to college. But then her father whom she'd thought long-dead turns up and his name is on the deed. There are a few nice ballroom sequences. If the movie had a MPAA rating, it would probably be G. Of course it's a Hallmark Channel movie. ;) As long as one sets one's expectations accordingly, it's a very enjoyable watch. The choreographer was Katya Virshilas who did the tango scene with Antonio Banderas in Take the Lead as well as the choreography for the American version of Shall We Dance.

Trailer
    Full movie
    Behind the scenes
  7. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Innocent Steps, story about a top competitor in a Korea Ballroom Dance competition who is down and out meets a partner who suppose to be a chinese star in latin dancing. Very touching movie.
  8. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

I've finally managed to get "Roseland" from Lovefilm. Well worth waiting for. The young fellow in the middle story reminded me of myself in the early seventies ... I was a wow with the older ladies in the studio then. But none of them ever bought me presents or paid for my dance lessons, and certainly didn't offer to keep me.
  9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Ballroom movies have always left much to be desired if you're a dancer or you know about ballroom dancing properly. The Tango competition scene in Take The Lead was American Style Tango + Argentine Tango, for example.

I saw Shall We Dance (J. Lo's version) for the first time only some weeks ago (yeah, I know), and while it wasn't bad, the latin competition scene was unacceptable. Save for Tony Dovolani and Katya Virshilas (the couple who got eliminated for the wig fiasco), there was no real dancing in the scene. Stanley Tucci and his partner had really weird dancing, especially the arm styling, and none of the other couples had good dancing. But then I took a good look at the credits, and I noticed that they had Slavik Kryklyvyy, Gary McDonald, Jean-Philippe Milot, Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin and some other people who have made a reputable reputation (!) in latin today. These people, apparently were relegated to the party scenes. Why couldn't they be in the competition?
  10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the many hours that went into making the stars look even as they did. Knowing what I know about dance and the long arc of learning, the dance coaches performed miracles!
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Move over, "Shall We Dansu?" I have a new favorite ballroom movie. ;)

"Sipur Hatzi-Russi" (literally "A Half-Russian Story", English title "Love & Dance")
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ZCutLXnw0

As soon as I saw the trailer, I knew I had to get the DVD. :grin:
    chomsky likes this.
  12. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Silk Stockings (1957), a musical remake of Ninotchka (1939). Wonderful dance numbers with Cyd Charisse. To paraphrase Fred Astaire, I feel "danced with" just watching!
    chomsky likes this.
  13. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

+1

Is it in NTSC too, or do you have a DVD player capable of playing PAL?
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I liked Love n Dancing too.
  15. Terpsichorean Clod

I don't think it's available in NTSC. I got the Australia release (PAL); I had to use a region-free player.
  16. regis

regis Active Member

for grins and giggles:

Assasiantion Tango (the best dance scene is during the end credits!)
    Naked Tango (which I had to order from some reproduction company in England, and is not suitable for children)

and another plug for Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School
  17. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

ROFL- "Reproduction company" and "not for children".

I know a lot of people Who Are Such SRS Ballroom Dancers have so much to gripe about when it comes to dance movies, and most of their points are right- this applies to any dance movie IMO- but sometimes, it's just fun to watch a movie about dancing and enjoy even the cheesy, awful parts.

My favorite HORRIBLE dance movies are any of the StepUps and Love n' Dancing. They are truly groan-worthy. About the only movie I really got mad at for sucking so very, very hard was Silver Linings.

I liked Mad About Mambo and Strictly Ballroom for the ouch-factor.
  18. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Not mentioned here is "Tango" by Carol Saura. It's Argentine Tango and not ballroom. It's packed with dancing, and the entire movie works as a drawn out tango.
  19. regis

regis Active Member

and may I be so bold as to submit Benise: Spanish Guitar ? although not a "movie" it does have some nice ditties in it!
  20. Paul.Long

Paul.Long Member

I like the movie Musical Chairs. It's pretty new and I thought it was good.