Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I hate that bright apple green but it looks smashing on me...am afraid I am going to have to breakdown and get something in that color again...but, like hot pink, I am not particularly happy about it
  2. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't choose a dance costume based solely on my personal likes and dislikes. The colors not only have to look great on you, but the dresses have to attract maximum attention and add to the overall "look" you are trying to get across. So, I am laughing about the comments on the bright yellow/green--the dressmaker and my pro's wife talked me into it. I hate that color, but I have to admit it looked good on me and the dress certainly attracted attention. So I made peace with it to be comfortable.

There was a beautiful woman who wore that color at a comp recently, and I realized, wow, you are looking at her in part because of the dancing but in part because you can't help but look at that dress! But I would never, ever, ever even think about wearing that color anywhere else but on the competition floor.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Carson on DWTS was going through the costume shop and he picked up a gentleman's vest in that yellow/green/whatever color and said "I'd look like a gay traffic cop."

I not only hate it, it does NOT work with my skin tone. At. All.
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I decided I like apple green after I had a dress in that color. And same with hot pink. Both colors looked so good on me that I decided I like them afterall.

Somehow colors I like are more or less in sync with colors that look good on me.
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I just got a new dress in the bright green apple color. While this certainly isn't a color I'd wear around everyday, I think it will look great on the floor. Especially because of some of the syllabus restrictions on am-am comps, I was limited to design and color to make the dress stand out. I really think that it will do the trick! (Especially in the sea of blues, blacks and reds that seem to be at every collegiate comp ever!)
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I actually love the apple green, but hate the neon. The dress that I am making is apple green and I can't wait to get started on it in earnest. Midterms are preventing it though!

Also, I've heard that peach/salmon is the most universally flattering color on women. Most think they can't wear it but it actually looks good on most people.

I really like the way white dresses look, but they're becoming so common that they start to blend in on the floor. I feel the same way about red dresses too and refuse to buy one on principle.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, sadly, once a dress color becomes popular, then everyone is wearing it, and it doesn't stand out anymore!
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm noticing alot of pinks and lavenders out there too.
  9. RosalieHuisjes

RosalieHuisjes New Member

I always consider my skin is very pale so I don´t want to use a too light color dress like white or cream etc... I always see how ´flat´ my skin gets if I wear a dress
  10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

IMO
    (I think I posted this sometime ago...)

The most important thing about choosing a competition dress color is CONTRAST.

Skin color has less to do with it (because skin color changes under different lights and circumstances---body makeup, neon, fluorescent, incandescent, etc...)

Choose a color that has a strong gray-scale contrast to the general background.

For instance, if the comp uses black tablecloths, and has generally dark surroundings, you will want to use a light color contrast.

Here's an example of how a dark costume disappears into the background, and the higher contrast pulls your eye more:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZkWt0MS0E&feature=related) The dance starts at approx 1:00

m
  11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I'm with mm on this one....I always plan around the background of the ballroom....
  12. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Which is great, if you have the luxury of multiple dresses and can plan accordingly. Someday. *Sigh*

In the meantime, I do consider background to a point - which is why I avoid black, brown, dark blue, and anything approaching neutral colors that will blend with the floor.

I do have to say, the absolute best (and entirely unplanned) example of the background contrast thing was a showcase I did with dark blue curtains, tan floor, partner in a black tux, and me in a red dress. I avoid red in competition because *everyone* wears red (in latin and rhythm, anyway), but in this case it was a fantastic picture.
  13. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

The red dress you have for sale is just BEAUTIFUL. If I manage to get skinny enough and save enough money in six months or so, and you havent sold it already I might just buy it from you! I think I am a US size 8 right now, so not small enough to wear it. But its just so gorgeous. Have always wanted a red standard dress!
  14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Interesting how "we" see colors for ballroom. Years ago I had, at the invitation of my very white skinned-takes after dad- norwegian daughter, my colors done. And white is actually great on me,,,then again,,,I have darker skin tones. Found out Jewel colors work best...others colors...welllllll...not so great, even in combinations with or without stones.
  15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think the absolute worst background was at a showcase I was in about 6 years ago. They covered studio mirrors with black paper and put some tiny silver stars on it to fit with the theme "dancing under the stars" or something like that. The guys in their black clothing just disappeared against it, especially in the photos.

That said, my latest smooth dress is black with mint accents and stands out just fine, in fact I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, and everyone who had known me for a while said it is my best dress to date.
  16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am pale and blonde... bright, saturated colors and jewel tones look best on me. I tend to look washed out on the floor in pastels... sometimes in yellow too. So I generally tend to lean towards the very saturated in my color choices.
  17. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Kitty! Keep me posted. I have someone who desperately wants it now, but its the only one that fits me at the moment so I'm having to hold onto it a little longer.

As far as colors go- What works for me is never what I think will work. I have seen the most gorgeous bright coral dress-tried it on and looked like a neon monster lol. I put on a black dress with a lot of stones and boom-I get marked(could also be I danced better lol).

With regard to dressing for the background, you may not know what the back round will be, so in the end I think its best to go with what works for you color wise.
    Also contrasting colors can be nice and give a lot of pop.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

So if you don't know ahead of time what the colors of the ballroom will be... ?

I tried on this amazing latin dress in black and dark blue. I love it, but have never worn a dress that dark for fear it would not stand out. Opinions about black dresses?
  19. chocobebe

chocobebe Member

Personally I don't like black too much, unless either a) it has a crazy stoning pattern that contrasts the black fabric or b) it has a very unique design

I find myself gravitating towards whites (which looks surprisingly good with my azn skintone), reds, pinks, and blues. I tend to shy away from greens, oranges, and blacks (mostly b/c I have black hair, and being black from head to toe isn't quite eye-catching).
  20. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I now have a rich purple dress that I wear regularly and although people say it's alright, I think it's really too boring. I was hoping to get some really funky combinations for my next dress. Maybe neon lime with bright blue? Or sparkly red and deep green? You know, something along the lines of that.