Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

one of the best latin outfit I ever had and wish I had not sold was a black lace outfit with royal blue bodice underneath...it was striking on the floor and I deeply regret no longer having it

2. fascination

and to me, rich purple sounds far better than either or those two combos

3. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

That made me laugh! Fascination, if you were here I would have given you a big hug! :D

4. kckc

kckc Active Member

personally I think black is fine for latin, since generally more skin is showing and it isn't so overwhelming, and you do spend at least a bit of your time away from your partner (I'm including rhythm in this rambling thought). Some of the most gorgeous dresses I have seen have been black with vibrant pink or blue or green stoning patterns and/or fabric accents.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Mmmm... I'll have to try on that dress again! I notice that my tastes in dresses seems to change every few months which is fun, but terrible for my budget! It seems like after wearing a dress a few times I grow tired of it, or I see a different style out there that I like. Luckily I am in the process of selling a few!

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I wear a lot of black in latin....I just make sure it's rather see through....<grin>

7. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want my partner in Black unless it was a standard final, and even then... (for Latin, OTOH, if it's like latingal's, who knows?... ;) ).

It's too easy to disappear in a crowd.

m

8. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Its not the issue of color when it comes to black. The key issue with black is it has to have a lot of decoration, Stoning, Shiny fabric etc.[​IMG]

9. hereKittyKitty

I actually had a top judge/coach/chairman of judges tell me that it wasn't the color but the decoration of a black dress that made it fade into the background. she also said the worst color was gold/beige because you just blend in with the floor

10. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I'm ready for some glow rods in my smooth dress, like they have in all the kid's halloween costumes this year. That'll show up on the dance floor, darnit. :p

11. hereKittyKitty

I actually saw some at Michael's the other day and thought- Not a bad idea!

12. AStarDanced27

AStarDanced27 New Member

I got my first real fake tan for my last comp and it definitely changed my opinion of colors I should wear. My previous (latin/rhythm) dress was an emerald green (see avatar) that really stood out from the rest of the bronze/silver crowd (that and it was pretty short, so it got a lot of male attention - good for finding a TBA partner). With a tan, the dress still looked good, but I found that my previously-worn red dress looked even better. I know red is overdone in Latin, but after seeing pictures from this last comp, I couldn't go back to the green.

But soon I won't have to worry about the red cliche that is my Latin/Rhythm dress: getting a new dress made, hopefully in time for my next comp :)

13. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

LOL. " A real fake tan":D

14. I agree with this. I own a black dress that has aqua/green type of organza and black fabrics, also decorated with aqua, aqua AB and crystal AB stones, and a few beads. It's a simple but elegant dress and I have got a lot of compliments on it.

In addition, I like pastels, aqua or turquoise-type of blue, and reds (esp. fire opal). I try to stay away from white because there's too many of those.

15. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Reviving this thread as it seems the best fit for what I am confused about.

I am in the process of having a new standard dress designed, and I am a natural green-eyed redhead. My preference for a dress would be dark green (more hunter than emerald) as with my eyes and hair colour, this would really stand out. I am having a 'discussion' with my pro about it because according to him "Green and ballroom is a bad combination", but he can't really explain why, making me think this is more his personal opinion because he does not like green in general.

I am wondering if anyone else has heard negative things about wearing green? I know that black can blend in with the partner, and browns and gold with the floor and background, but I can't think of reason why green would be bad, especially when by and far it is the best colour on me.

any thoughts?

16. fascination

I think emerald can often be one of the strongest colors on the floor....same with green apple, but I do think hunter green doesn't pop....still, I am a firm believer that you wear what you feel awesome in....but, if you must wear something that dark, load it with clear AB

17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I think that green could look amazing, but I agree with Fasc. Since it isn't a color that immediately grabs my attention (like, say, neon pink) there needs to be something else that pops about the dress. Could be cut, fabric (have a weird fondness for velvet dresses), rhinestones, floats, surprise color underskirt, etc. I think it could work, done well.

18. fascination

I am so psyched that my current pro is okay with black....I cannot wait til my budget allows for that...because I am at that point in the game where I really don't care

19. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

My current dress is black, but it has blue and gold underskirts. The new dress definitely has some elements to make it 'pop', I was just confused by the whole 'green and ballroom don't go together' comment, and was curious if it was a regular belief, or just my pro's opinion :)

Thanks for the opinions ladies!

20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Well, darker greens are fairly uncommon on the competition floor, so this could work to your advantage if you do it right! I also agree with the above posters re: hunter vs. emerald.

Green in general is not that uncommon though, particularly mint and brighter shades, or somewhere between blue and green.