Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is all I really use. And only use Protan when I don;t have access to Mystic Tan.

I have tried over the counter everything and they are almost all a waste of time. The Chrisanne lotion works pretty well in a pinch too, but as for the ease of application and the overall eveness, Mystic Tan is the way to go.

I don't have any problems with my elbows, but I think that is because I exfoliate them anyway, they never get rough and dry to begin with.

2. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

where do you get mystic tan from? xxxx

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

4. Its available at many different locations. Its not a product you can purchase in a store.

5. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

thanks for that x

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah you can buy it. Although, the best results for me was to have someone spray the tan on me. But my mom buys a Dove product that she uses and loves. And it looks good. So, I'll check with her about the exact name of it. But whenever I got mine done, I got it a couple of days in advance. That way you can correct whatever needs to be done. The place that I go to will let me do touch ups for free. They also worked out a deal with me if I send someone in for example, then I get something free from them. It's a good place. ;)

7. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Ran across this thread...wondering if anyone has any new thoughts...looking to have a dress made and have no idea what color to ask for...

Best dress colors for certain hair colors/skin tone/figures? What would you stone them with? I'm a petite, pale, brunette...but if you have ideas for other hair colors and skin tones, feel free to chime in as well...

Thanks! :D

8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Can you tell us more about what you look like, and what your preferences are? A pic would really be helpful here . . . you can blur out your face if you want to stay anonymous. But with this topic, posting a pic is really the only way you're going to get good advice you can use.

9. soshedances

:doh: Ooops...changed that post a couple of times before I posted it, left out the important stuff! Edited first post...

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I found the pink gowns, like the color of the rose in your avatar, very striking at Blackpool.

Perhaps it would be worth going to a vendor at a competition and trying a bunch of colors on just to get a sense of what works for you, before placing your order.

11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I second Chris's suggestions to try on different dresses at a comp, to get a sense of what looks good on you. But be prepared, there will be a pressure to buy. Another option is to go to a fabric store with a friend and just put different colored fabrics near your face, and try to figure out which colors are more flattering.

Personally, I am a somewhat pale (without tan on) brunette, too, and I try to go for bright strong colors (except orange, that is not a flattering color for me). Also, maybe it's just me, but I would avoid black if you're doing standard (even if black is your color - it definitely is my color). I think it blends with the man too much.

12. soshedances

There are two dresses in particular I'm thinking about...you can see them if you go go dream4dress dot com and look at pages 113 and 123...I would order them unstoned (and do it myself) and with detachable floats (so I could use them for smooth and standard).

13. TAK

TAK Member

Since you mention you are "pale" I assume you have no intention of tanning?

I am also (naturally) pale and brunette, and in real life I mostly wear dark colors. I'd probably prefer a dress in dark red or rich dark blue, with enough stoning & shininess in the fabrics that they'd stand out. Maybe with trim in a lighter secondary color so they look more unique.

If you are slim, various shades of pink could also look lovely, as Chris suggested.

You know what colors you can usually wear. Pick the one of those that would look the most dazzling on the floor (I would say probably the lightest/brightest one, but I can think of exceptions) and go with it.

If you are willing to tan, that opens up a whole different universe of colors. Especially if you are young, I think it is fun to go as bright as possible while keeping it classy! I recently got a rich neon orange dress and I LOVE the way it looks on the floor alongside all the red and violet and pale turquoise -- it stands out for miles. I also think yellow is a great and underused color. These are colors I would NEVER in a zillion years wear outside the ballroom with my normal skin tone, but with a nice dark tan they look fine!

14. tanya_the_dancer

I think the one on 113 would be hard to make with detachable float. Based on my personal experience with detachable floats, I would have the floats permanently attached to optional accessories (i.e. a necklace or cuffs or gloves), and then just use a different set of accessories for smooth. A friend of mine has a dress like that - her float is attached to a necklace and a glove (I think) and she also has another set of gauntlets without attachments and a separate necklace, which she uses for smooth

15. tanya_the_dancer

I think you need to experiment with this. I tried on a bunch of different colors when I was having my dresses made (and I had all my tan on), and some colors just cancel me out or still do not look good, because my basic skin undertone is still there, it does not disappear because I have the tan.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

deep claret red, navy, hunter green, chocolate brown, white, icy ultra pale colors

17. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

[small hijack] Are all of dream4dress items custom made? Don't see any prices there. [/hijack]

Agree that you need to try different colors on to see what looks best. Waaaay back when I was looking for a prom dress, I had my heart set on a royal blue one. Tried on a pale peach, and it was perfect.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Go open up your closet and take a look ta colors of items that look best on you. You don't have to wait until you can try dresses on at an upcoming comp, or get by dressmaker's house. Obviously it's a bit more critical with the amount of material/color you have in a gown than say a blosue, but colors that look good on you aren't going to change that much

19. soshedances

Not doing black...partner and I are both short, so we'd disappear.

20. soshedances

I emailed the company and asked what it would cost to make either of those dresses without stones, with detachable floats, in a color other than black...she emailed me back and said $250.