Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Will stoning a dress cost more than the unstoned dress? I recently bought a new stretchy black sheer turtlrneck (which is as good as any custom made sheer shirt) at $10 but it cost me nearly $200 to stone it.

2. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Yes, that's possible. Most of time, simply making a dress does not cost that much(it depends on fabrics, a skills of person who makes a dress, etc., etc.,.....), but stoning is expensive. That's what I heard from a dress maker.

3. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I'm on a budget, and by the looks of things most of the stoned dresses (resales) are out of my price range and not in my size.

So I was thinking it might be more effective for me to buy a nice dress unstoned, as opposed to buying an inexpensive dress with crappy-looking stones, and stone it myself a few gross at a time, I can always add more later. I would think it would be cheaper this way so I wouldn't have to pay the dressmaker for the stones and the labor.

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

There are also various ways of stoning a dress that substantially change the cost and time.

Some dresses end up wall-to-wall rhinestones in areas, and obviously that's extreme in time and money.

Others have some kind of pattern to the fabric or a lace applique and use stones to highlight that, perhaps with some sprinkled over the skirts.

Others are basically plain fabric, but use stones to create some kind of design - almost like drawing squiggles with the little tubes of fabric paint, only its a line of rhinestones instead. I'm not sure as I haven't tried it, but this might not use too many stones.

Many of the dresses I've found most appealing are not all that heavily stoned; but they do make wise use of the stones they have, and make good use of various fabric types and contrasting colors.

5. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Thanks for all the help! Leaning towards red or coral pink...

Also saw a practice dress on Randall's website that I liked, emailed them, and they'll make it in a different color for me. Might do this since I don't know that much about dream4dress...probably safer to use Randall, even if (slightly) more expensive.

6. Does anyone else besides me find backless dress uncomfortable ?

My main gripe is that when I sweat, my partner's hand sit directly on bare sweaty skin.

Yuck !

Colourwise my strong favourites are hot pink, yellow and red

7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

If you have beautiful back, show it to the world by all means by wearing backless dress. IMHO, a beautiful back is a great asset for a female dancer, and I am sure that judges give more favourable marks to dancers who bare their backs. This is why successful dancers - Anna Melinikova, Hanna Karttunen, Karina Sminornoff, Joanna Leun, and many others - dance bareback. In competitions, dancers dance exhausting dances like Cha Cha, Samba, Paso, Jive, often in succession, at breakneck speeds, yet, I've not heard of sweat problem. If you want to do well in competitions, do it in backless dress.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

while I would prefer not to sweat all over him, mine is adequately compensated;)

9. moondance

moondance New Member

Hi
    Just curious im going to have a ballroom gown made and the ladys asked me to get colour ideas ect im clueless on colours:confused:
    So any help would be great?

I have brown hair that when it catches any light it shines ginger brown and i have grey/blue eyes if thats any help :D

Thanks

10. fascination

how would you characterize your skin tone?...my first thought would be that coral might be lovely

11. fascination

age and build might also be a factor...ask your friends also...which colors would look best on you

12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Fair or olive-skinned? Makes a difference between using warm or cool colors... If you tan a lot, I guess it almost doesn't matter but if you are fair, chances are you won't look as good in yellows, nudes or browns, for example... Or really pale colors, as they all would wash you out. If you have a darker complexion, on the other hand, those would be good colors for you. As someone fair, I try to look for really bright, jewel-tone colors, like zircon (in my avatar), sapphire/bright royal blue, coral or purple... Certain kinds of red would be good as well. I think you just need to think of colors you wear in real life that you think look good on you and go from there. That's what I do.

13. moondance

moondance New Member

Thanks for the quick reply my friends are clueless they just said any colour but thats not very helpfull! Im 5-6, im uk size 8 long arms and legs but im slightly pear shaped lol so i have been told:D ,im 18 yrs old and my normal skin tone without fake tan is pale even in the summer gotta love the fake tan!

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I always suggest taking a look in your closet too. You can often get a quick idea of what colors look good on you because they're likelyt he colors you've already learned in your life to wear.

15. moondance

moondance New Member

This sounds really bad but most of my clothes are either denim, grey, black or brown i sound really boring:-|! see why i need help :D lol

16. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I think White is the best color for standard gowns.

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Figured you were pale because your eyes are really light but thought I'd confirm... In that case, really do look at jewel tones. Go to a store with lots of clothing (a department store, H&M, etc.) and try on shirts that are really bright purple, green, turquoise, royal blue (but not dark), coral/orange (a cool orange, not warm), fuschia. See what looks best on you and go from there.

And yes, white is a great color for a ballgown although if someone is pale, they'd really have to tan to wear it and then the dress would be white with tanner stains:( Not too practical if you intend to wear the dress for awhile.

18. moondance

moondance New Member

Thank you Ithink i will go and test the colours you have listed :p! I had to wear a bridemaids dress once it was white and really floaty i look like a ghost not a good look! But i agree dlgodud one girl at my studio has a amazing white dress she looks like a princess in it "sighs " if only lol

19. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

If pure white washes you out too much, try cream. I am very fair (though I do tan a little for comps) with dark hair and I have a cream-colored gown for Smooth that gets a lot of compliments. In real life (hee) I prefer true white but with the tan and some makeup, the cream color looks good on the floor. White/cream could be a good choice just because it's perceived as a difficult color to wear.

20. fascination

if one is wide about the hips I am not sure that white is a good way to go...though I do think that particularly young women look very nice in white if they are pale with dark hair or blonde with a tan...still, I think it is important to go and try on dresses at a comp and see what looks good on you