Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That's the best advice you're going to get right there

2. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

As one who is wide about the hips, I agree:) It has to be a well-cut, great fitting white dress to look good on me.

3. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Definitely try on lots of different colors...if you don't have them in your closet, go out and try them in the store. Take a look at the colors you like, then ramp them up a notch and go for a brighter, more vibrant version.

Just went through the whole dress color-choosing thing myself. I like wearing most shades of red or pink...usually muted in real life...but went for a bright cerise pink dress!

4. moondance

moondance New Member

what do you think about gold or silver ballroom dresses are they ok ??

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think they can look stunning on the floor. Gold is my favourite color

6. moondance

moondance New Member

Thanks Katarzyna:D

7. Katarzyna

However I have found silver to not always look good. I think it requires something to stand out either a lot of stones, or some cequined fabric here and there... Its easy to make silver look gray on the floor

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

A pale person would have to tan a lot to pull off a gold dress, IMO. I would never wear gold, personally. It just doesn't look good with my skin tone and hair color. Blondes look way better in gold than brunettes do, I think. Silver would look better on a brunette.

I also think a gold dress needs to have a LOT of stoning or some contrasting fabric to look good on a beige wood floor.

9. Katarzyna

yes think it all depends on the shade when we talk about gold/silver. I personally think gold looks best on brunettes actually lol but have particular shades of warm gold in mind.

I could see a gold dress on you Ithink, but would have ot be righ gold color not pale

10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

A high level coach (who is also a judge) once told me not to get a gold or brown dress because it blends in with the floor. But, I have light hair so that makes since. Maybe for a brunette its different, dunno.
    I like silver, especially if its not the super shiny kind. Thats distracting.

11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

hkk: that's exactly why I wouldn't wear a gold dress. Only I sorta figured that out on my own when I saw someone wear a gold dress, except I totally missed them on the floor and then figured out why...

I saw Alina Bassiuk in a silver dress in Blackpool semis - it looked sooo good on her and she hardly tanned. She looked like a beautiful snow princess:)

12. Katarzyna

think for some strange reason, gold and silver really shows on blackpool floor.. more than other places.. I see many couples in gold and silver gowns for that one comp a year

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I think because it's darker on the floor there so a light color like gold/silver stands out more...

14. Katarzyna

before they made the floor new and light pastels looked great.. now I think they dont stand out so much.. but yes overall the ballroom is really dark now..

15. moondance

moondance New Member

so we think overall that i should save the gold or silver dresses idea for a few years untill i dance at blackpool! :cool::D

16. Katarzyna

Hmm those shades really depend on the venue and may not look best everywhere... Maybe go with something birghter or more classic first

17. moondance

moondance New Member

good idea just so many colour 2 choose from its so funny because i know exactly what dresses i like and don't and i have drawn idea for the dresses just hav no clue what colours haa o well!:D

18. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I always have trouble deciding on a color - you're not alone:)

19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Rainbow! :p
    No, don't. Saw a Rainbow Brite gown at a collegiate comp (still see it now and then), and it's scary :shock:

20. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think my favorite would be Clear. :)
    (partner going to debut the dress at the BYU Championships)