Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I'm a big fan of black with sparkly silver or gold trim
  2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

The multiple colors on bodice still acceptable, but the blue on skirt really doesn’t match with the rest
  3. Unju

Unju New Member

4. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I think the reason I don't like white is because it reminds me of a wedding dress:eyebrow:.
    I have seen a few white dresses recently that I would try though, so maybe I'm coming around.
  5. stealth114

stealth114 New Member

Just came across this thread..I have always noticed one top Pro dancer, Hanna Kartunnen having such a very dark skin tone and she wore dresses to match and then in recent time when she danced with Victor, she was much lighter with blonde hair and some of her dresses were lighter. Good thing being a guy, its not so difficult as it is for you ladies ;)
  6. stealth114

stealth114 New Member

Any dress of any colour will look better than that thing that Carmen wore that made her look like 'big bird' at a competition... Im sure u know which one Im talking bout..

7. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

8. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

My current dress is red and I've received some compliments about how red looks on the floor.

And in general I've not run into too many people wearing red....except at Vegas...where there were around 5 red smooth dresses on the floor (split between 2 heats)!
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Red was a very popular color lately. A couple of years ago at Twin Cities Open, half of the dresses in pro smooth were red, and by some weird coincidence, they all ended up in one group. I have a red dress for standard and in some of my events every single dress on the floor was red. I had one of those events videoed, and when I showed it to my parents, they had trouble keeping track of couples (even though the camera followed me). This was the reason why I chose black for my smooth dress last year, because nobody else had a dress that color and that's one of my best colors.
  10. Griffico

Griffico Member

I'm not sure how things are now, but I believe 5 of 6 of the couples in the blackpool standard final had white on. I like white, but maybe not that much :p
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Lots of white dresses at the MAC standard final this year too...
  12. hereKittyKitty

I do not like white....too pristine;) I much more prefer black or red which are strong colors.
  13. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

I was one of those 5 red dresses in Vegas... funny I got a red dress because I hadn't seen any in a while... time for a new dress...
  14. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Also, the open pro smooth final at Ohio this past year was a lot of white/silver/neutral.

Funny how it sort of comes in waves.
  15. Medira

Medira New Member

There was also a lot of pale pink at OSB. Heck, there was a lot of white and pale pink during the last half of the year in general.
  16. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Bringing this thread back up higher since Ohio Star Ball is around the corner and lots of us are buying or thinking of buying new dresses.

Looking at the posts - the "myth of the white dress" is alive and well. In a number of comps in the past year the winner of smooth or standard has been in a white dress. Almost makes you look around the ballroom floor before the music starts to see who is the "top girl" based on dress color. I'm not sure if this phenomenon has happened because white shows up or because a really great dancer is more confident about wearing white? Personally, I have paler skin and dark hair and look best in traditional "winter colors" black & white, red, purple, emerald green, coral and turquoise. I would wash out in solid white and look Gothic Lolita in all black.
  17. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

18. hereKittyKitty

I dislike an all white gown. I've seen very few that I liked. Typically when I'm watching a competition, I'll always overlook the girl in white.
    Just now I was looking at a series of photos from CanAm dancesport. My eye automatically went to a picture of Beverly Moore in a stunning black/flower gown. I typically will notice a bright blue gown, hot pink, black, red, yellow.
    I think basic orange is underused. I've tried on a neon orange that looked horrific, but I think a nice basic satin chiffon orange would be pretty:D
  19. hereKittyKitty

I think- if you look good in turquoise, I would go for that over emerald green.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think color popularity changes, and the color that is least worn, all of a sudden becomes the color that really pops on the floor because no one else is wearing it.

Many of the top pro rhythm ladies from USDC were also wearing white with neutral or white with gold.

As far as individual color choices, that is why we have to have more than one dress! Or at least that is what I tell myself after my purchases...............