Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, my white gown just came out of the bathtub!!
    White, but the bodice is stoned in a blue diamond pattern, so not all white...I have owned this gown for years and still love it... Whew, was pretty nervous washing this gown yet there were only 3 stones on the bottom of the bathtub...

Who can say what the best color is. I think you have to consider your skin tones. What works for one girl will not for the next. For me with dark hair and medium to dark skin tones white work for me..... Yet recently I was watching one of my fav standard pros in a incredible white dress but with her blond hair and very and light skin tones she seemed to disappear on the floor.

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have a new white dress too, and I am scared of washing it! :) It does have alot of gold accents. I think that is the key to wearing white... to have another color with it for contrast.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

white is never going to work for me...guess I'm doomed

4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'm very pale but have been told I look very good in white. I like bright colors too much for a white gown I think. The problem I have is that I change my hair color relatively often. I picked a lime green for making my next gown, which works pretty well with blonde, red, and brown hair, so I should be covered. (I was blonde when I bought the fabric, and am now a redhead.)

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would recommend Clear. :)

6. mindputtee

Lol... that would be very interesting. A la emperors new clothes? :p

7. TallTenDancer

TallTenDancer New Member

I've talked about going with a darker green in the past with partners, since it's almost never seen. But she was never able to find one in a good color, much less one that was syllabus-legal. Glad to see we weren't the only ones to consider it, mindputtee!

8. mindputtee

I really like the way emerald green looks, but I've seen pictures at competitions of emerald gowns and they just don't have the same pop on the floor. I'm not a fan of things entirely neon though.

9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I love white, currently own one white one, with feather all over skirt, feathers on large floats as well, got many compliments, haven't own a white one for a while, certainly enjoy it very much! White and all bright colors all work for me.

10. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I love white too, particularly with AB stones. One of my first gowns was white with navy and gold stone accents, and I loved it. Bright colors are good on me too. I saw a beautiful gown that evoked old Hollywood that was silvery with silver-grey feathers, and it was gorgeous on the girl wearing it, but it's not something I could pull off.

11. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I've always thought the "best" color gown is... the color no one else is wearing! At least then you'll stand out. :D

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

eh..not neccessarily...lots of colors don't stand out even if they are the only one of their kind on the floor

13. gracie

gracie Active Member

Me neither. Does seem pretty popular in the Pro-Am scholarship divisions

14. gracie

gracie Active Member

Oh that's funny. One time on a lesson I had on clear bra straps the Pro noticed. He said innocently (I think) "Is the whole thing clear?" Needless to say, I was taken aback!

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If you can pull it off, it works great. Sadly I could drown in protan and white is still not my color.

I ordered a dress from a maker in Paris (I feel confident now enough to buy "cheap" overseas stuff rather than deal with the high-end makers here in person, as I now have a better idea what is well-made and what works on me) and thanks to an order-former screwup combined with unavailable colors the dress they sent was the wrong colors--black lace top with a "coral" skirt that basically was orange! Perfect for halloween, but...though I considered, for a bit, if I were in events with BIG heats and just needed to be eye-grabbing, it would actually work all right. It's not necessarily a nice color, but like the ever-popular but universally hideous neon green/yellow, it's eye-catching. But I sent it back (as it was their screw-up, they're making another in better colors.)

16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Very funny...

17. gracie

gracie Active Member

I have a new Peach dress. Pro said "Peach is always a good color" Guess he likes it. According to "Color Me Beautiful", I am a blonde winter and should be wearing bright jewel colors. I won an evaluation with them at a party, otherwise don't know that I would have paid for it.

18. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I also have a salmon/peach gown....
    The gown is rather simple but I always get compliments on it. This seems to be a good color on many different skin tones.

But anyway I was a a comp this week-end and I noticed one of the vendors had an entire rack of white gowns... Each with different accent colors, but sure seems like right now white is the color that is selling.... FYI, every one of these gowns was so dreamy!!

19. shimkirina

shimkirina New Member

Thank goodness someone else feels the same about that neon green/yellow color!

20. shimkirina

shimkirina New Member

At USDC, the two Ballroom colors that stood out to me were a nature green color that Katusha Demidova wore in the US Nationals and this pretty golden brown color that Alina Basyuk wore. It did have a red underskirt that made it really stand out, otherwise the color might have been too quiet.