Best Router NAS Option?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So after a blown breaker I found that my trusty 15 year old linksys has stopped talking to the modem. I can LAN, and I can pick up the broadcast signal from my Linksys, but the router and modem aren't talking.

I was thinking anyway of upgrading and qas wondering about a NAS router, but have heard they can be painfully slow if you are trying to stream movies or music out of them into the receiver for tv and a surround sound system.

Any advice or thoughts?
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Definitely check reviews before you buy any particular Router. I don't have any particular models to suggest, but I know a lot of them out there, even ones that are supposedly "gigabit" nas, can't even supply the bandwidth to keep up with streaming SD, much less HD. If I can find links, I'll list several that I've come across that you should not buy
  3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

damn, I thought you were talking woodworking tools..
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

L, do you actually have NAS?
  5. Larinda McRaven

No, but I would be willing to build one... or Netgear has a router that has its own cloud capabilites, similar in concept. I am sure there are others, and that is the opinion I was looking for. Surely SOMEONE uses them!?

I could just go the generic way and get a usb enabled router but it would be SOOO NICE to have access to all of those files as I travel constantly ... and draggin my 1tb Lacie around with a laptop is insane... and annoying on airplanes, because I refuse to put them in checked baggage.
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I keep looking for something like this that has the features I want at a price that makes sense to me. I haven't found it yet.

The last time I *had* to solve this problem, I used Apple's Time Capsule. It's overpriced for what it is but not awful compared to other NAS I saw available at the time. I don't know how well it would do for streaming, though; and of course it's not ideal for carry-on baggage.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Do you need wireless?
  8. Larinda McRaven

yes. my wireless router stopped working. I am tired of sitting 18 inches away from the tv cabinet to hook into my cable modem.
  9. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

I bought this one from Newegg for $146 a while ago. The price may have dropped. It set up easily and works fine for all my laptops, iphones and androids. Even streamed movies over wireless to android to TV on HDMI. It has NAS connection for an external drive, but I have not gotten around to moving my external drive from my workstation to the router so I can not comment on that.

WL ROUTER LINKSYS|E3000 R
  10. Larinda McRaven

11. Larinda McRaven

I am sad that neither have more than one USB.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can always add a USB hub.

Your Linksys choice gets a 5/5 rating (20 rates) on Newegg. Your Netgear choice gets a 4/5 rating (720 rates). I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

A faq on the linksys one says the hub won't work because router won't recognize the hub and know how to passthrough the info (Only usb hubs I use are ones built into keyboards, but windows/osx definitely recognizes that there's a hub there, so it's not like they're just an invisible device to add ports)
  14. Larinda McRaven

I just bought the new ASUS Dual Band Wireless-N 900 Extreme. It is already out of stock most everywhere, has two USB hubs, and came highly recommended by my MIT students.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Is the purpose of having a USB port in your router to add a USB external drive to it, or something?
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Depending on the particular router, the USB drive can be used for storage devices (which router than uses for either streaming media or makes available as a standard cifs/smb NAS device) usb printers, or both.
  17. Larinda McRaven

Yes, Joe. My goal is the printer AND the external harddrive.
  18. pruthe

pruthe Member

Larinda,

I was looking at your router at Amazon and appears to be some firmware issue in customer reviews. Didn't know if you saw or not. Apparently firmware can be updated easily, but must follow procedure given in customer reviews (or elsewhere). I found at Amazon by using search string "ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router".

One other question I had. Do you know if possible to access data on attached external drives remotely, for example, when out of town. Just wondered.

thx

pruthe
  19. Larinda McRaven

I had not seen that and it doesn't matter anyway. I got a backorder notice today. SO I will be without wifi even longer now since they estimated date of in stock to delivery is "undetermined". Seems this router is hugely oversold at the moment.

If you want to remotely access your storage via your router while on the road... that is what NAS is for and what I was hoping to find. And what they netgear one I listed about lets you do.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

...or you just have another computer set up with storage...