Best salsa instructional DVDs?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, Mar 31, 2006.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Any recommendations? My friend needs a bit of guidance. I might be interested in a video that helps me develop my technique and shines.

Thanks!
    Melissa
  2. JackedSalseroNY

JackedSalseroNY New Member

Eddie Torres Volume one and two.
  3. tj

tj New Member

I'd say it all depends on who and what the person is trying to learn.

If it's for a beginner in Seattle, then watching an Eddie Torres instructional video is about as useful as taking Vasquez Bros lessons for NYC.

So, are you interested in Ladies' Styling, patterns, or just general technique such as spins?
  4. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

that is correct, defining the style that you want to learn is essential before we can give you advice, as each style has fundamental differences.

Furthermore if you are, lets say looking for ON1 then ON1 dancers will be the best source for recomendations since they will have more knowledge of what videos have work for them.
  5. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

*waves at TJ!*

Seattle is an on1 town.

My friend is looking for beginner through advanced stuff (footwork, turns, shines, whatever).

As for me, I would probably benefit from some ladies' styling stuff . =)

THANKS!
    Melissa
  6. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

For On1 you can check the Al, and Eddie Videos

dancefreak.com

they have a whole collection that cover pretty much all aspects of salsa on1.

Their videos, are quite informative, and generally good, Al has a funny streak to him, which gets cumbersome when you have to rewind.

For your friend I would say go with their beginners level that will keep him/her busy for at least a month ( it has footwork, basics, partnerwork). For you, Eddie's styling.

Alex Da Silva also has some videos however I have yet to see his beginners one, his intermedium is ok interesting combos but not much detail in the execution of the moves.

alexdasilva.com

There is styling video by Olivia Dasso, (oliviadasso.com) however for detailed instruction I think Eddie's one may fit better.

There are several videos out here , and hopefully this post will bring some other recommendations, in general having recommendations from fellow dancers is good when buying a $30 - $40 dvd as some of them can be terrible
  7. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

For On1 CBL-style, Mario (millionmovesman.com) and Leon Rose (available from steps4salsa.com) have good beginner - intermediate - advanced DVDs. It's mostly moves and routines, not so much styling - but they break the moves and routines down very well, show from different angles, give handy "execution tips", etc - you can actually learn it from their DVDs. steps4salsa.com has a ton of stuff and deliver quickly even to my neck of the woods.
  8. tj

tj New Member

*wave Melissa*

That's a pretty big range, M. And I like the suggestions the others have been giving. If your friend can handle advanced stuff, then it's quite possible that they'll be able to digest On2 videos and translate it over to On1.

Is $$ an issue? IMHO, you'd be better off taking privates from one of the ladies in Salsa Salvaje, all of whom have very nice styling, and I don't think that they're all that expensive from what I remember hearing.
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I like watching on2 and converting to on1 as it gives me ideas...a way of looking at things differently and often I think out of the box and come up with something quite unique. :) I'll third that idea.

N.B. Nice to see you around tj. :)
  10. Lofland

Lofland New Member

John Narvaez and Liz Rojas from San Francisco have an excellent instructional series. Their beginner and intermediate videos are On1 but their advanced and ladies' styling videos are both On1 and On2. Their web site is www.salsamania.org. Unfortunately they don't sell the DVDs online so you may have to find them at a congress.

Shaka Brown's videos are very good if you are only interested in On2. His site is www.imambo.tv.

For older On1 videos, I like Josie Neglia's series. Her ladies' styling video is the best breakdown of the basic step I've ever seen. She goes into detail on what you should do with every body part, from foot position to holding your head high. You can find her at www.latindance.com.
  11. tj

tj New Member

Thanks Sagitta. Nice to be back.

The key thing is that it's more work to translate stuff back and forth, and it's not worth the effort for everyone/anyone. YMMV
  12. desconocida

desconocida New Member

For lady styling on1 I'd also recommend "Mel's Moves" from Melissa Fernandez! It's nice, the level is something inbetween intermediate and advanced (but rather int.)
    www .... melissafernandez.com
  13. mambochino

mambochino New Member

Shaka Brown:
    Vol 1 Absolutely Beginner
    Vol 2 Intermediate
    Vol 3. Shines and body seperation
    Vol 4. Advance pattern (on1 and on2)
    Ismael Otero - Beginners turn Advance