Body Swing and Foot Placements

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Some guy

Some guy New Member

Oh and I forgot the other thing that helps a partner receive all this energy: the man must always stay completely on his own left side. Stand upright and imagine your body as two swim lanes. The frontal plane of your body becomes the left lane and right lane. One side of your body should never come accross to your other side. In Standard, for the most part, the left lane is yours to use, and the right lane is given to your partner. A quick test of your ability to stay on your lane is to take hold with you partner, but only take hold with your LEFT hand. Assume normal position, except that man's right hand and lady's left hand will be hanging down. Now start doing reverse turns in a Viennese Waltz by staying completely on your left side while simultaneously maintaining normal body position. You shouldn't pull or push or do anything you normally don't do with your left hand. The left hand should feel completely "normal". When I first tried this, it was much harder than I imagined. That's when I realized how much of the left side of my body wasn't working. I was used to dancing quite easily with my left hand hanging down (as you have to do in crowded competition floors) but my body was nowhere near ready to lead a girl with our only hand contact being my left one! Once you're successfully able to dance reverse turns by staying on your left side and maintaining normal body contact with your partner, then you can try taking normal hold.

The combination of staying on my left side and dancing backwards into each step made everything feel so much more natural, and just like in the Enzyte commercial, I've got a very happy missus on the dance floor beaming from ear to ear because her partner isn't throwing her off her feet or coming into her space. :D

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Okay Some guy, I take pride in doing a good job moderating here on DF by reading all the posts in the forums I am assigned to, but I gotta' tell you - the last two had my head spinning. Them's was a lot of words.... *grin*

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic....

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I do believe this is overall the wordiest thread in all of DF. :)

4. Some guy

Some guy New Member

Ma bad!

5. latingal

Nope, subject was quite interesting....just not easy to read that many words (and keep 'em all straight) at 1am in the morning!

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Looks like you beat him to the punch! :wink:

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I dont even attempt to read this...

8. Some guy

Some guy New Member

What do you expect? It was a long expensive lesson, and I didn't bother to really summarize it. :)

I'll take it down and put up an abriged version soon.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

is there a cliff notes edition for this thread?:cool:

10. Some guy

Some guy New Member

Yes, it will be made available the same day as the Cliff's Notes for Luca's Dance Bible. :)

11. mamboqueen

poor guy, you'll be paying for about a week over this. Good that you're a good sport about it. And don't worry, Chris will read your book. :)

12. latingal

Some guy, we're giving you a bit of a hard time, but I enjoyed the post! It has some great things to mull over...don't take it down, it's fine!

*grin*

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, some guy...don't take offense. most of the yammering occurred by your thread predecessors, lol.

14. latingal

*grin* MQ you're too much....

Some guy, just ignore the peanut gallery. *grin*

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I love the post ... it will likely evoke a similar one :)

16. mamboqueen

do we have the bandwith here??? *LOL*

Some Guy - if you weren't such a good sport, we wouldn't be razzing you so much. Plus it's Friday and half of us are on caffeine overload.

17. latingal

*grin* he gives as good as he gets...

18. Some guy

Some guy New Member

DF's bandwith just got stretchmarks! :)

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

don't mention stretchmarks buster...or you will have bigger problems ;)

20. Some guy

Some guy New Member

So we went from Chris' highly analytical and technical discussion about technique to stretchmarks. Chris, I'm sincerely sorry. I really like reading your technical posts. Next time I'll curb my enthusiasm in my responses and avoid the resulting forum hijacking.

Can someone talk abut something technical now?