Body Swing and Foot Placements

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I would point out that just because not many coaches approve of a style does not imply that not many dancers dance it. I also think that Chris characterized it as the "Luca" style, not the "Luca and Lorraine" style.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll tell ya one thing, those feet of hers...they are amazing. my body has been dispatched to go figured out how to acquire the sensitivity & strength & aliveness of lorraine's beautiful feet. :)
  3. Warren J. Dew

Oh, I agree they're amazing. However, they were amazing long before she got together with Luca and adjusted to his style of dancing.
  4. pruthe

pruthe Member

I've acquired some videos of Lorraine dancing with her previous partner Andrew. Quite beautiful dancing.
  5. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Actually I don't think I characterized it as anyone's style, but more responded to other people's comments on dancing that happened to be his.
  6. Warren J. Dew

I guess that's what I get for not rereading all 10 previous pages!
  7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I have to somewhat agree with Josh that while it should be "natural," for many of us, it's no longer natural because of all the unnatural things we do to our bodies.
    I've recovered twice from serious back injuries, and countless times from more minor ones. (I'm in one of the top back injury professions.) My last major recovery involved a lot of physical therapy restoring the curve of my spine. (And straightening out all of the compensating I'd been doing from years of disc herniation compressing spinal nerves.) But it was just remarkable to me how unlike the skeleton that hangs in anatomy classes my skeleton had become.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that all of the "scooping your hips" and "tucking your hips" and "straightening your spine" is actually taking away from natural movement though. Sometimes we have to do bizarre things to get back to what is natural movement.
    Getting my back, that's been altered by my various injuries, to do something in a more "natural" manner is going to take different directions for scooping and tucking and straightening things than getting any other person's back, with it's lifetime's alterations, to move in a more natural manner.
    Natural is rarely reality. And turning reality to natural is an individual process. A "natural" arch for some is a very unnatural arch for others.