Boston

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Apr 19, 2013.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

As we have many DFers in the Boston area, I want to express my concern for what is currently going on in your area, and my wish that you remain safe. Can you check in and verify all is well with you?

Is it correct to assume that all lessons/training activities/dances/comping in your area are canceled at the moment?

How have the current events been affecting the local dance community?
    Titoxd likes this.
  2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Being on hiatus I'm no longer much connected to the local dance community, but just about *everything* is closed/canceled.

That includes businesses, universities, workplaces (including mine), and just about anything else you can think of. Subway/commuter rail is down. Boston taxi service reportedly was suspended for much of the day but has resumed. Some folks made it into work before hearing "shelter in place", but by mid-afternoon were told they could go home and stay inside there. Local news coverage shows massive law enforcement presence in Watertown that turned a large mall parking lot into a staging/command area for people from just about any local or federal agency you could imagine, and vehicles including armored trucks and helicopters.

I haven't seen any news about *any* injuries since the "action" started last night save for an MIT police officer who was shot dead, a transit police officer who was shot and wounded, and one of the suspects who seems to have died after a massive shootout last night from gunshot and perhaps explosive wounds.
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Local == regional, really. Apparently "local" law enforcement from neighboring states has been streaming in, as well.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Glad to hear no violence since last night. The whole thing must be surreal.

Is it just Boston proper and Watertown, or are the general suburbs affected as well? I'm wondering how far out this lock-down goes...
  5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, Belmont, Brookline, I think. Maybe I missed some. Vehicular traffic was restricted in Watertown, last I heard: Law enforcement can use the streets, media can move when/where they're told is OK.

Actual enforcement of the "lockdown" is pretty much only in Watertown from what I can tell. The advice on the news is to keep doors locked and not open them for anyone other than uniformed police. I think people here mostly just have the good sense to keep out of the way of things; and anyway probably find it interesting to follow along on television.

For a while it was possible to follow along internet streams of police scanner feeds, but those were shut down earlier today when law enforcement asked for help keeping secret specific addresses of various activities.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Waltham and Newton, too, according to a recent news graphic.

I doubt anyone in the region would consider using the phrase "all is quiet".
  8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

There's a press conference right now. It was announced that they didn't find the remaining suspect. The stay-at-home request was lifted, and transit service was restored. All the towns including Watertown are free to return to life as usual, in theory. Everyone is advised to remain vigilant, call in tips, etc.
  9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

We had breaking news here that I think came after the national nightly news program ended. I don't know whether this news is also national, but right *after* the stay-at-home-lifting press conference, police engaged in further activity (including shooting) in Watertown, where according to a posting from one of my coworkers the stay-at-home restriction is now back in place.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Been watching it. Apparently they found the second suspect hiding in a boat in someone's backyard. It appears that the guy is armed with explosives, but he's also injured from last night's shootout. Not sure what's going on right now but they appear to have him trapped.
  11. Larinda McRaven

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

fascination likes this.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Hoping all goes back to normal for you today!
    fascination likes this.
  14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I watched Entertainment Tonight, yesterday and some other shows/news of that style. Caught a clip of a Professional Ballroom Dance Instructor who has lost her lower leg from the explosion and the story of her husband? back from service overseas who was also injured in his leg, crawling into a restaurant for help. Her spirit is incredible and she's anxious to get back to the floor. Good thoughts and enouragement for this couple and others affected by this event.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Quite a story!

I can't find anything about her from before the marathon, for example where she taught or competed, what styles she dances, etc. If anyone has a link to that information, please share.

I imagine some of our Boston DFers would know her if she is involved in the local dance community.
  16. Larinda McRaven

Arthur Murray

The flights coming in to Boston all have extra security and random TSA pat-downs at the gate.
  17. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

They are going to feature this ballroom teacher on DWTS next week. What a tragedy.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

and hopefully raise some money for her
  19. Larinda McRaven

This week has actually been tough. I have had numerous cancellations. Everyones schedules are still kinda wonky. Cantski couldn't even get back to his condo till 2 days ago since it is labeled a federal crime scene and it it was tapped off since the marathon. Another one of my students, a doctor, cancelled because she is still sorting out the chaos of her schedule because her office, in the hospital, has been turned upside down. Lots of students had hard weeks trying to rebuild, and that trickles down to me schedule. Teaching at MIT was hard on Wednesday because Officer Colliers Campus Memorial service had the whole place shut down, all school classes were cancelled. The team was still holding classes so I still had to find a place to park off campus and then walk thorugh all of the immense military and law enforcement presence.

The MIT competition is on for this weekend and there seems to be a nice movement for everyone to bring cookies as a way to gently celebrate and be grateful for the opportunity of the community to come together and do what we love.

Also, Officer Collier was on duty last year during the MIT competition on Saturday. He enjoyed it so much he came back on Sunday, his day off, to watch. I learned last night that he was even taking lindy classes (off campus) so when he joined the lindy club this coming fall he would be a step ahead! I am sure during the competition some time there will be a way to honor him and his new found love of dancing.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

It is my understanding, from a vendor, that this weekend in Boston, there is a studio dance charity event (something of this nature) to raise $$ in support of the instructor. KUDOS!
    Mr 4 styles likes this.