Bra and boob question

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by j_alexandra, Mar 3, 2010.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

How did they make a clear connector in the back? Since the bras my size don't come with clear straps, I took a bra I normally wear and modified it to work with clear straps (cut off original straps and made loops to hook the clear ones), but I had some trouble making a backless bra by cutting out the back and attaching clear straps there - it didn't fit quite right.

And I agree - sometimes rental dresses with larger cup size tend to look somewhat frumpy or they have this old lady dress look about them.

2. kckc

kckc Active Member

oops, let me clarify- the "connecters" are in the front connecting the cups- that way I can wear something low cut, in front anyway. I did buy a different convertible style with a clear connecter for the back at Lane Bryant but the bra is hideously padded and looks ridiculous on me.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Getting a visual, here. :shock: :lol:

$50 - $60 for a custom bra with alterations included is a great price, IMO, especially when you consider that a ready-to-wear "full figure" bra costs almost that much at Kohl's.

And, while we're talking bras, let me just say that bra manufacturers are a pain in the heiney, once you get above the ubiquitous C-cup. You can walk into any Target store tomorrow and buy a 40 DD or DDD for $16.99. Good luck if your band size is less than 38 and your girls happen to be generous. Not gonna happen.

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

www breakoutbras dot com
    If you want to buy online, has a good selection of "weird" sizes, has good discounts once you get on their mailing list, and very nice customer service. And good prices if you're one of us that pretty much have to buy English or French made bras.

5. pygmalion

Very cool! Thank you. I was just over at their site and bookmarked it for perusal later, when I'm awake.

The selection of "weird" sizes (DD - M) is unlike anything I've ever seen. Very cool. :)

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Make sure to watch for English sizes. They're about two sizes different from American sizes. It will tell you though when it's sized in English rather than American and gives you a chart to go by.

7. pygmalion

I will check it out.

It used to be that, when I gained or lost weight, everything was proportional. Not anymore. Apparently, I'm now channeling my big-boobed grandma who, to paraphrase Harriet the Spy (a childhood literary hero) had the biggest front I've ever seen. Gain or lose, the girls rule. :lol:

8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The thing is... having learned a new appreciation for being fitted correctly, and wearing a size that no one would ever look at me and guess, I refuse to buy a bra without trying it on first.

So unless I can find a site with free shipping and returns it is still easier and cheaper to go to Intimacy.

10. pygmalion

That's what I'm thinking. Once you get used to custom, there's no going back. Hmm ...

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I guess, for my purposes, unless I had such a frontal load as to be uncomfortable, I simply don't find it worth finding out what I am missing and then paying through the nose for it

12. Larinda McRaven

red pill
    blue pill

13. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

has anybody ever tried Gilly Hicks??? They are not $12 bras but they arent as expensive as VS either. They are AMAZING.

14. fascination

L,

right..(if I understand you)

and I am not at all claiming that what I am missing isn't fabulous

15. Larinda McRaven

If you can fit into a bra like the ones featured on that site, god bless you.

16. Larinda McRaven

.:).

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

am sort of in the same boat...but also balanced by the fear that if I did find out what I was missing, I would find a way to pay for it. (*cough* Comme Il Faut *cough*) Just best not to even go there. Besides, still adjusting to the reality of paying $25 for a bra at VS. (grumble grumble grumble...kicks self kicks self kicks self)

18. fascination

right...this is a reason that I am glad I live in the middle of nowhere...I have no real shopping temptations of any kind...and scarcely any dining...there is one, ONE fine dining place that I would take someone who is accustomed to fine dining, in this area...and this allows me to rationalize my dance budget ;)

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I shop the web site www dot herroom dot com Free Shipping and very easy returns. Learned alot about proper fit - and I despise going into any store to
    try on undergarments of any kind. Let's just say "I'm Italian" like the song.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I bit the bullet and went back and bought some more. AFTER trying on a bunch of different sizes. Ended up with a size I really wasn't expecting. Gotta say, it feels awesome. Who'd'a thunk it?