Bra and boob question

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by j_alexandra, Mar 3, 2010.

1. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

2 words....

Victoria Secret

they have every kind of bra for every kind of outfit and the only bras I know that last.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Tha's just it. Once you get fitted properly and feel what a real quality bra is like.... you would never bother to go somewhere like Vickys again.
  3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Victoria's Secret would insist I'm a 38C. Because it's a size they make. I'm very much NOT. Goddess, Fantasie, get a real bra instead of a cheap chain storebrand. Like dance shoes, the good bras are made in England.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Yup... VS put me in their highest selling size. A professional fitter took me down 3 band sizes and up 3 cup sizes. Not even CLOSE to the same feeling or fit. The girl in the video went from a 36c to a 30ff, and was shocked and scared. "But I don't want to be a double f." she says... And she is really rather average looking. How can so many women be so far off when it comes to something we do every day.

If there weren't men in this thread I would speak very frankly about the process... alas :roll:
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

You can pm me and I'll post it? <humor, please realize it was humor>
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Thank you -- I've always had this feeling about VS; that they don't know jack about bras *or* boobs, but just about marketing. They do real good at marketing.
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Women I know have been very happy with bra fitting services at Nordstroms, and highly recommend it (both a proper fitting in general, and Nordstroms in particular)
  8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ditto. I found it interesting to look at one of the freakishly large photos they had behind the register one day, and t'was kind of disturbing. OK, the chickie was OMG hot, which I'm sure was half the point. I'll grant that. But if you looked even sorta closely at her boobs (purely for bra fitting reasons, I assure you), you could see that there was absolutely that tell-tale line/bulge over the top of them. Great, I suppose, if you're just interested in being half-nekkid, pouting and looking hot for just long enough for a picture to be taken (or for one's significant other to take said ill-fitting bra off--I'm not knocking that!). But definitely NOT what I want showing when I, oh I dunno, wear clothes? Silly me for having that as my goal in mind, I know. But seriously. No bulging, please!

Never mind the fact hat I hate paying that much money for a bra. Especially one that bulges. And doesn't hold up in the wash, IME. And I'm not hand washing them or line drying them or any other nonsense. Me loves Target for bras. (Because, yes, I really am that cheap.)

One question though...those who have had a professional fitting done and have ended up with seriously different measurements, how much do you think is the result of different fits versus how much is the result of different sizing. (You know, the way most of us can wear clothing in a huge range of sizes, depending on cut and maker? Size 4, check. Size 12, check. It's no wonder women spend so much freakin' time shopping.)
  9. Peaches

A question for you (which, if you'd prefer to answer via pm would be fine...if you're OK with answering at all)...

"Down three band sizes." Gotta admit, this kind of scares me. Fine if you're nice and thin, like I assume you are, but with extra weight (like I've definitely got) this just sounds like a recipe for bulging and back rolls. ??? Am I missing something? How do you tighten the band that much without having some unattractive bulging going on?
  10. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, I was wondering this myself...

Incidentally: wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size

"Many bra fitting guides and calculators will tell you to add four or five inches to your underbust measurement, but this is not correct. The old method was devised by Warners in the 1930s when bra design was in its infancy and does not work with modern, elasticated bras."
  11. Larinda McRaven

The bulging happens from the band sitting too high on the back... which is inherent when the band is too big, because you end up hiking the straps higher and higher to provide some support. Having a smaller band actually means it sits lower and pinches less. I have ZERO bulging going on now, and it was fairly normal for me to have ridges before.

Measuring your chest gives you your chest size. But just because the average chest circumference is 36... doesn't mean you should wear a bra that is 36, because it is designed to stretch. So you have to go down in band sizes in order for the stretch to do its job. And then through normal wear and use the bra eventually stretches out to a larger size... and you need to have hooks to move down to in order to make it sit tight again. So when you buy it, you better be on the loosest hook or you have nowhere to tighten to as the bra ages.

So go down at least a size to make it sit lower, then go down again so that you are on the loosest hook. For every band size you go down, go up a cup size to provide more room. The wiki above states the average bra worn is 36c... but really could be as small as 32e
  12. Peaches

Oh, no worries there! I just gain weight to take up any slack from the elastic wearing out. Works wonders! :doh:

Thank you for the specific feedback.
  13. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I have not had a professional fitting so I'm probably wearing the wrong size :), but I do think the cut/style/brand of the bra makes a difference. I've had a 32 band be perfect and even loose, but then not even be able to breathe in a 34 band of a different brand/style while trying them on the same day. *shrug* (And I'm not talking about cheap bras here)
  14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I don't think there are that many options for E cup size, especially for a small band size, like 32. I just looked at the site where I usually buy bras, and they do not have anything that has large cup size and really small band. There are just 2 choices for 34DDD (which is why I wear 36DD). There's no such thing as 34F or 34G. Bigger cup sizes (F,G,H,I - yes, they exist!) are associated with larger band, because maybe the assumption is that bigger cups go with extra fat, and there's no such thing as big cups on a relatively skinny ribcage.

Btw the assumption that big boobs do not happen naturally with skinny bodies seems rather widespread. My son came from school one day and asked if I had breast implants. I told him no, why'd he think I might? Well, it turned out that their health class teacher told them that slender women do not have big boobs naturally. And since I am big in basically just one dimension, he decided to verify the information from the class.
  15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

For some brands, DD=E and DDD=F. It's also very likely they are selling what women actually buy, not what fits best.
  16. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

How do they measure cup size? Tape measure? glass bowls?
  17. Peaches

Despite all propaganda to the contrary, there are really only two sizes: too big or too small. It has nothing to do with actual size, and everything to do with what particular outfit we're trying to either squeeze into or fill out, respectively. All other "sizes" are baloney.
  18. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

:uplaugh:
    Thanks, Peaches! That made my day :)
  19. chandra

chandra New Member

errgad, I'm like a 32 F without all this downsizing and upsizing business.

And I do know that the band is too big, on the tightest setting, it still slides up, exactly as larinda described. Where on earth though could one find a 29 FFF that doesn't cause a zillion dollars?

Alot I end up altering my bras, by shorteing the chest band...works for a little while but looks whacky with no clothes...
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Now for an actual answer - they measure the ribcage (under the boobs) and measure the chest at the biggest. The difference between the two numbers is the cup size: 1" = A, 2" = B, etc.