Bra and boob question

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by j_alexandra, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TAK

TAK Member

You asked Larinda, not me, but I will answer your question anyway. :p Personally, I wore the wrong size for years, and it never actually felt bad but I just didn't love the way it looked. No bulging or anything, but the bras just didn't seem particularly supportive -- they weren't doing as much work as I would have wanted them to do, let's put it that way -- and I thought I could do better. So I went to look for new styles to wear, and that's when I got measured and figured out that I might have been wearing the wrong size (as usual, I needed a smaller band and larger cup size). Once I found stuff that fit me better, like Larinda, I couldn't go back.

Once you get used to shopping online, it is definitely possible to find nice bras under $60 and even under $40. The smaller your band size (below 34) and larger your cup size (especially from D to DD and from F to FF), the harder it is, but it is still totally possible. It just takes some patience for trial-and-error.

I used to have to do some really wacky stuff to keep them clamped down while dancing or working out (in particular, for a few years before figuring out the correct size I routinely wore TWO BRAS! one on top of the other! -- which, yes, should have been a red flag). But now I can get adequate support from any functional everyday-type bra, because they are snug around my ribcage and support from below instead of from the straps.

2. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I agree 100%, but don't dismiss TJMaxx forever... My favorite brand is Le Mystere (about $70 at department stores) and about once a year they have them at TJMaxx for $20. I buy out every single one in my size at all the area locations. (On occasion I've seen them at Nordstrom Rack, as well, for about $35)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well thanks...the reason I asked was because if one has no issues with the way something looks of rfits, doesn't really experience issues...am curious if they would feel the same after a real fitting...

4. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I think that depends on how far "off" your size is from what you have been wearing.

5. fascination

right...which is why I would be curious as to whether of not someone like me who is fairly regulation sized and who has had no real issues with support or fit would notice as marked of a difference as someone with a specific issue who went and was fitted....I don't doubt the effect...just as a well-fitted gown makes a difference....but I have also bought plenty off the rack that fit better than the ones I was specifically measured for

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I use onehanesplace,com. They have a reasonable selection of different brands and sizes, and they are fairly inexpensive. Moreover, I looked up the custom bra place I knew of (kinda inspired by this thread, I knew they existed, but never got around to actually go there), and what I found was that a) they sell some of the same brands onehanesplace sells - Bali, Playtex, just to name a couple - and sell them for nearly double onehanesplace prices b) they also sell some other brands in $50-$70 range. Since they don't have an option to search by bra size on their website, it was hard to tell which ones would work for me. I spot-checked a few, and some of them came in a very small range of sizes. This leaves me wondering if it is worth a 2-hour drive to go there.

7. TAK

TAK Member

Yes, and for me personally the answer was that I did think there was a bit of an issue before I got fitted but I noticed much more of one afterward.

No, I think the fitting is to find out what size you should be wearing. Many women are wrong about that, which is where a fitting can be eye-opening. But if you know you are wearing the right size, and they make good $20 bras in that size, then I don't see any reason to discount those bras. In fact, the bra that the fitter actually sold me ended up fitting poorly, but the fitting was a starting point for finding others that did fit well.

8. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

It's possible if you don't have existing issues, it would not be as a remarkable difference. But on the other hand, what you might consider "no real issues" is based only on your experience. Maybe you are not even aware of the possibility of it being better and so you have no basis for comparison. (By "you" I mean the general 2nd person, not necessarily fasc)

9. fascination

exactly...which is sort of how I weigh (no pun intended) the degree of motivation I may or may not have for expending the effort to find a place where this sort of thing is available...I am assuming for me that means chicago or indy...and I don't shop much to begin with...hence my curiosity

10. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

You could just go to your local department store and start trying on different sizes and see what happens. The general theme is go for a smaller band and larger cup size. No reason you can't try by yourself :)

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

And given that you (Fasc) and I are pretty much the same size, I'm waiting to see what your results are, if you go that route. ;)

12. Peaches

That's a good point. Although that would mean going to a department store...and shopping(-ish)... *shudder*

13. fascination

hate to disappoint you but I doubt I will bother unless I am in the city and do the real thing...because I am okay with how I wear what I buy at koh'l right now...so unless I am someplace nice and have time to kill, I don't see it happening...particularly not in the next few months...but perhaps I'll do a autumnal trip to the city

14. Peaches

LOL. Fair enough.

15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Just remembered! In high school I used to work at a department store (mainly handbags, although for a while I was in intimates). While we didn't have a bra fitter on staff, occasionally we had one come in for a few days. They would advertise in advance so people could make appointments. So for those of you "out in the middle of nowhere" and want to try, it could save you a trip to a far-off speciality shop.

16. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

As long as you are happy with what you wear now, that's all that counts!! :)

17. fascination

well..I don't want to be close-minded if I am missing something important here...I may get around to it...true I have no presenting problems that I know of, but if it's convenient, can't hurt

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Newp.... I never thought they were bad to start with. I did it just because.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This was me exactly. I had no issues before. I was just curious really. Now that I know what it can and should feel like it is a huge improvement.

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think the reason that a lot of the ones we pick ourselves fit better than the ones we were "fitted" for is that even if they actually know what they're doing (which a lot don't, they go buy the old "add 4 inches for your band size" myth that's so untrue,) they aren't going to tell you they don't have your size in stock. So if I walk into a Victoria's Secret, they'll tell me I'm some ridiculous thing like 36C because they have that in stock. They're not going to say, "You're a 38N and we don't carry that." So if I bought a 38DDD, it would fit better than a 36C, but not as good as it could if I got the truly right size. So if you're going to be "professionally" fitted, make sure it's at a place that does customizing and has a really wide selection. Even if you only buy one bra on the visit, you'll come away with knowledge you can use for future purchases wherever that may be.