Bra and boob question

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by j_alexandra, Mar 3, 2010.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Same here...I have no real issues with the brand/size I'm currently wearing, other than a vague notion that maybe there's something better out there. I've got a fitting this coming Saturday; we'll see how it goes.

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I guarantee the boobs of the Victoria's Secret poster model looked nothing like that!

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Same basic concept, though.

I'd grab a pic...but VS is a blocked site here at work. Can't imagine why... :rolleyes:

4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That's kinda how I feel, too. However, even though I know I'll probably do better with a bigger cup and a smaller band, that pushes me over from buying bras which are somewhat easily available to buying bras which are hard to find. I'll probably try to do a fitting if/when an opportunity arises, but I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with the results.

5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

See, but I seem to have the opposite problem than most of you...I'm very small busted and have a hard time finding a bra that my girls don't just rattle around in. Well, maybe 'rattle' isn't the right word. :cool: So I'm very interested in finding out if they can fit me into a bra that enhances what Mother Nature gave me without squeezing what I do have up to my neck. Plus, if everything works well, I'll be wearing these bras under my uniform shirts and I don't want anything too fancy/frilly going on under there.

Interesting side note...the military used to issue underwear to new recruits. Then women came along and they couldn't figure out the issuing of bras, with all our different band/cup sizes. So then they just starting giving new recruits an 'underwear' allowance.

6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

They can! :D

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

8. pygmalion

That is hilarious.

It reminds me of the movie The Trouble With Angels. Two dozen. White.

9. pygmalion

OMG! Thought this was worth another look. Object lesson on why it's worth spending an afternoon and fifty bucks to get a bra that fits. What a hoot! (pun somewhat intended, but it's too cheesy for me to admit ...)

Re: Madame Cadolle -- the online version of the article is significantly shorter than the print version, IIRC, and it left out some details (like the Manhattan visits,) but I think it hit the highlights. I googled the House of Cadolle last night. Fancy stuff. I suspect even her pret a porter stuff is divine. (Off the rack is too easy a target, so we'll go French, thank you very much)

And a question for the generously proportioned gals (cause it's not in this thread and/or I can't remember what you said last time ...) what do you do about dancing in strapless dresses and/or dresses with no place for bra straps to show? I usually go strapless and buy a smaller band size or adjust the band size so I know it will be tight. Thoughts?

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I modified a couple of bras to have clear straps (but still the right cup size). So if I am wearing something where a strap will not stay hidden, I wear those. But open backs are a bigger problem, ime. I bought a kind of extender which is supposed to turn any bra into a low-back bra, but it's not the most convenient thing in the world.

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Maybe this thread? Urgent attire-ish question for the ladies.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I don't wear those dresses. :) Well I did once wear a dress that was difficult to cover the bra in as a bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding. Told her to get what she wanted us to wear, I'd make it work. (Sadly what she wanted was a dress that looked adorable on my baby sister with tiny boobs and big hips, since I'm shaped the opposite of her, one can imagine it didn't flatter me at all.) Ended up buying a strapless long line bra that was customized (taking DD cups up enough band sizes to be an L requires removing a lot of band) and still had to do a lot of safety pinning to make sure nothing was showing. I think I'd have been more comfortable with using duct tape to hold everything in and up. :) But on the bright side, going to buy that bra was what got me into a proper fitting.

13. pygmalion

Meet you at Madame Cadollle's?

14. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've got a little lady in Dallas that helped me out. Next time I'm out there, I'm getting a couple more to add to my collection.

15. pygmalion

Oh ho! Where in Dallas? PM me if you're comfortable with that. I live 30 miles north of the big D and am more than willing to make the drive.

16. pygmalion

Hello. Found a site. Not just in Dallas.

http:// myintimacy.com/

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've had a few friends that went to the Intimacy in Atlanta and weren't too impressed. And they're expensive too. The place I like, you pay about what you'd pay for the bras online, and the alterations are free. So for me, it was about $50/bra, which is what I pay without alterations getting them online.
    www. maddoxshop.com

18. kckc

kckc Active Member

I avoid those kinds of dresses if at all humanly possible. I do have a really good style of bra that has clear "connecters" in the middle and is convertible with both nude and clear straps. However, the style was discontinued a few years ago and I got the last one anywhere near my size on E-bay, so when the two that I have go (I mean the bras! haha), I don't know what I'll do :(

I have a heck of a time trying to rent dresses for comps, as the larger sizes can be...frumpy...and the smaller sizes constrict the girls to the point of not being able to take a breath it feels like. Not a good thing while trying to dance. And, the smaller size dresses are made in more revealing styles also, which restricts the ability to wear a bra anyway. What is a girl to do!

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I love Intimacy... and they did my alterations free. The prices for their bras are the same that I would pay on the internet (for those bras). But yes they carry pricey bras.

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

One of the women, who's built in that area like I am, she said it was about $90. Which I'm used to paying about $50 or $60. So $90 seemed a bit much (for a "regular" as opposed to strapless or long line bra.)
    Maybe it's just the local one. But I also like the fact that the place I go to is a family owned small business. And the woman that fitted me is eye level with the area being fitted, so I feel like she can really tell if it fits, hehe!
    I've heard of a little store that recently opened near me, will have to try that one out one day.