Breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Resurrecting this one from the vaults...

My question is slightly different from the OP's: I'm looking specifically for savoury breakfast ideas. I'm a reasonably active, 29-year-old man and I really struggle to find a breakfast that keeps me going until elevenses time. I'm not calorie counting, but I'd like what I eat first thing to be healthy and I'm devoid of inspiration. The searches I've done on the internet have turned up some good ideas, but they're almost all sweet. Quite often, I fancy something savoury in the morning. At the moment, that leaves me with Marmite on toast, which is nice, but toast isn't the best start to the day and I'm not in control of whether the bread is white or brown, so I'd like to keep that as an occasional thing.

Unfortunately, the egg option is out for me because they just won't stay down. :confused: I'm OK with eggs in mixtures - pancakes, muffins, cake and so on - but in their native state I cannot eat them. Odd but true.

I've wondered about adding savoury things to porridge or oatmeal. I might investigate that.

I'm throwing this open to the collective experience of the DF community. Any and all suggestions welcomed and much appreciated. :)
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Poultry sausage. Not sure what kinds are available in Blighty.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I suggest doing an internet search. I just did and there many great ideas out there. You can make corn and other types of muffins, breakfast pizza, quiche, for porridge you can try different grains like bulgar and millet to enjoy different grains and textures, breakfast rolls and burritos...
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

soup...any kind. warm soup in the morning is a wonderful breakfast. if you like fish, you can keep poached or baked fish in the fridge and add it to the soup for more substance. chopped greens make it more nutritious.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm a fan of roasted red pepper & tomato soup, made by Pacific Natural. That and some low fat string cheese is good. Also lentil soup--you can bulk it up by putting it over rice, stirring in some fresh baby spinach, and some chopped fresh tomatoes. A bit of salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesan and it's super tasty. I also like to simmer lentils with equal parts red wine and water or stock, throw in some herbs and carmelized onion, and cook it down until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are nice and soft. A cup of that in the morning is fantastic, and will hold me for hours.
  7. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Great ideas! Thanks, guys. :D I hadn't thought of either soup or lentils.

In my previous post, I mentioned the internet searches I'd done and the problem I'd run into. :rolleyes: The fact that I'm still searching doesn't mean I can't enhance my googling by asking people for suggestions. Thanks for the ideas regarding other grains: that's come up on a couple of the websites I've looked at and is worth investigation.

Seriouseats is a good site. :)

Joe, just checking: by poultry sausages, do you mean sausages made from poultry or am I making another cultural error?
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Have you considered sandwiches -- the same kind you'd eat for lunch? Those have a lot more staying power for me than cereal or soup. the biggest issue for me was getting over the mental block that sandwiches aren't breakfast food. They are. Ham and cheese on wheat lasts a lot longer in my stomach than any traditional breakfast food. :cool:
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sausages made from poultry meat (chicken, turkey) instead of pork. They have such things here, dunno about your locale. Less fatty than pork sausages.
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Food with staying power, IME, has protein, fat, and fiber. If eggs are a no-go, are egg white omelettes a no go? I have a hard time digesting yolks, but whites are no problem. Wheat bread, ham, scrambled egg whites, cheddar, and I'm good for hours. If the whites are a problem for you, then microwave slices of ham with cheddar shredded on them; make wheat toast; make sandwich; yum.

BTW, I grew up in a leftovers-for-breakfast family. Nobody winced at cold pizza for breakfast, or warmed over casserole, or turkey sandwiches. YMMV; not everyone's cuppa.
  11. pygmalion

Yep. One day this week (can't remember which) I had leftover meatloaf sandwich for brekkies -- protein, fat and fiber. I was so full that I didn't even need to eat lunch. :cool:
  12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

mine egg beater is stainless steel...or I use a fork...

the most delicious breakfast I had was a sandwich of smoked mackerel with fresh stilton....

that was when I could eat dairy.. I like Dutch breakfast..cold meats, cheese, cake and such like...and I lived off muesli whilst at college....
  13. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Unfortunately, yes. Weird. :rolleyes:

I agree that leftovers are brilliant! They seldom appear in this household, so I don't often get the chance to give them a good home. ;)

I like the toastie and sandwich ideas too. :)
  14. bordertangoman

how about a full English breakfast including liver and kidneys and washed down with a pint of Guinness.*

* as served in
  15. pygmalion

I missed the part in your original post about wanting to avoid white bread, IB. Oops. Sorry. Yeah. Sandwich on white bread sounds the opposite of appetizing, to me. And, if you don't always have control of what type of bread (housemate, I presume) then that does complicate things a tad. **

Of course, one can use other things as bread for breakfast sandwiches. Here, bagels and muffins (resisting urge to say English muffins. In England, they're just muffins.) are two very common choices for breakfast sandwiches. Pitas, tortillas and flatbread are other choices.

** Personally, I would go for indoctrinating the housemate as to the merits of wheat bread. After a few weeks of eating substantive wheat bread and I never went back the squishy white stuff (except for peanut butter and jelly, but that's another story that has more to do with nostalgia than anything else.)
  16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Having Oatmeal this morning, is yammy!
  17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

DH and I are trying to eat up stuff that's been in the cupboard for a while and, as a result, I rediscovered my oatmeal. Some of you may remember, I hate oatmeal unless it's adulterated to within an inch of it's life (aka: instant & flavored, which is not healthy), or I buy a cup of the cooked stuff for ~$2.50 at the deli downstairs... with brown sugar and cinnamon. But I was determined to eat up the few servings of oatmeal we had at home.

Anyway. Day 1: Ick. No amount of Splenda, or maple syrup, or cinnamon, or anything made that palatable. Days 2 & 3 I discovered (at work) that my sugar free coffee flavoring syrup (caramel flavor) is spectacular on plain oatmeal. No sugar, no calories, no guilt, and super-yummy oatmeal. Too bad I ran out of oatmeal, and I've got other stuff I need to eat my way through before I buy more breakfast stuff.

Anyhow. Muy yummy. Oatmeal (only about a half-cup) with a ton of low-fat cottage cheese = not hungry AT ALL until lunch. A slice or two of canadian bacon is a wonderful added bonus (for only about 40 calories).
  18. bordertangoman

wholemeal or granary toast with maramalade..nothing healthier...
  19. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I plan to get a Starbucks coffee and peach Danish from Chinese bakery.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

eggbeaters, sausage gravy, vitamin water zero