Breakfast Time Club!!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just a thought. -s to pluralize fruit isn't necessarily wrong, especially since, in Lynn's posts, she's alternated between talking about apples and her "fruit parade," made up of several different types of fruit, IIRC. 8)

*shrug* Whatever. I can't get myself all het up over somebody else's word usage in an online post. It's not that important to me. *shrug*
  2. lynn

lynn New Member

well, in the context of my original post, fruits, when used in plural, means several fruit (ie, <1 apple), as for fruit parade, the fruit is more of an adj and therefore not pluralized.....
  3. lynn

lynn New Member

Honestly, I'm not sure why donuts are so popular... Eventhough i question the nutrtional value of a traditional breakfast (toast/egg/sausage/hash brown), they at least contribute more than just simple sugar & fat!
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Most things your "average American" eats for breakfast are nutritionally questionable. :?
  5. pygmalion

True. Fats in abundance. Lots of cholesterol. Sugar. Carbs. Clogged arteries before 9AM. :lol: :lol:

Of course, I was raised the old-fashioned (cheap) way. Home cooked, non-instant oatmeal with fruit and milk. Cheerios with milk. Grits with eggs or tomatoes. Meat with breakfast rarely, if at all.

Honestly, if I still ate the way my Mom raised me, I'd be healthy for a long, long time. Lots of legumes, whole grains and green leafy veggies. Comparatively little meat. I guess my Mom learned a thing or two, growing up in the generation between the Depression and WWII.
  6. lynn

lynn New Member

wow, jenn, that's rare! Breakfast w/ mom usually involves some leftovers from the night(s) before.... i've then decided to make my own breakfast - nothing artery clogging! It's funny how almost everyone i talked to knows the importance of breakfast and yet almost everyone of them either skips breakfast altogether or chooses something that have almost no nutritional value!
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I used to LOVE grits! ...and English muffins with butter melting in the crevices...and huevos rancheros!
  8. lynn

lynn New Member

english muffins are great!! i used to love them too.... for some strange reason, they're so much more expensive than regular toasts, i wonder why??!!
  9. pygmalion

Good question, lynn. English muffins come in a pack of six for what? About two dollars or so? 35 cents per serving. Toast is about one-twentieth the cost of a loaf of bread-- about ten cents per slice/twenty cents per serving. I wonder why the difference. :?

Packaging, maybe? Or maybe positioning in the market? :?
  10. lynn

lynn New Member

i've been wondering about it for a long time......the ingredients are pretty much the same so why the big sticker price?? maybe just the way it was made?? because it's softer so....more white flour??? really have no idea....

I used to really like scones too, but it's about $1 per piece.....not financially justificable....i'd rather stick to plain whole wheat toast!
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Well, if you figure a loaf of bread is baked whole and English muffins are made individually, that might account for the price.
    I pay $1.60 for 5 thick slices of walnut bread. When I get to my local bakery, I get their great whole wheat and that is $2.07 for 5 thick slices. Bread is rarely sold in it's entirety here(i.e. a whole loaf) as nobody eats as much bread as we do in the states.
  12. pygmalion

Really? Wow. That's interesting. I never would have guessed that. Cultural differences are pretty cool to learn about. :D

btw, I buy whole loaves for about two dollars, and then eat only five or six slices before the rest gets moldy and rotten. :lol: :lol: So I guess we're about even, cocodrilo. :wink: :lol: 8)
  13. pygmalion

Scones rock!!! I just leave them out of my mental "bread" category, and put them in my "semi-sweet treats" category. I eat them every once in a while when I'm having tea or coffee at Starbucks. They're something like $1.50 each, and worth every penny, IMO. 8)
  14. lynn

lynn New Member

yep, scones are great when they're well made, but they're so high in fat - i guess that's why they're so soft....

I didn't know they were so high in fat until i stumbled across a recipe - pretty shocked to see how much butter was needed to make the scone :shock:
  15. pygmalion

Yep. Butter or shortening in large quantities. But hey. Life is short. :wink: :lol:
  16. lynn

lynn New Member

speaking of butter, has anyone tried "churned butter"?? is that like organic butter?? i noticed it's way more expensive than the regular butter!

Oh, what about whipped butter? Is that even available in supermarkets? or am i supposed whip those suckers myself :? ??? I love the taste of whipped butter, too bad the only time i get is when i'm in a restaurant....
  17. pygmalion

Churned butter? I have no idea what that means. Isn't all butter churned? Must google.

Whipped butter? The supermarkets here all have it. It's sold in little tubs, rather than in rectangular blocks. It's a little more expensive, but much easier to spread. 8)

And, while we're on the subject, what is European style butter? Does anybody know? 8)
  18. lynn

lynn New Member

no, the regular butter is about $3 but the churned butter is about $5.50. Pretty big price gap. I've never seen whipped butter in our supermarket, that's why i was wondering....

I was talking to a friend from uk about cream/sugar. I asked him whether or not he puts cream in his coffee, he then told me, no, he puts "milk" in his coffe, but by milk, he actually means cream???!!! Gosh, that was a confusing conversation!
  19. pygmalion

There's an older thread where that belongs... Uk versus Us stuff. What the heck is it called? :doh: :? Is it called what the heck? Be back in a minute. :car:
  20. pygmalion