Breakfast Time Club!!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 8, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

oh, that's cool!! I remember talking to my uk friend the other day and he told me that fries are called chips in uk (i think??) and if i go to mcdonalds in uk and ordered fries, they won't have any idea what i'm talking about :shock: !!!
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. There's a lot to learn in dear old DF. :wink: 8)
  3. lynn

lynn New Member

just the other day i was digging up a lot of old stuff and found bunch of treasured buried really deep..... maybe we should revive all those old interesting threads!!
  4. pygmalion

Sounds good to me. :D
  5. lynn

lynn New Member

Hmm, how did we go from breakfast to digging old DF threads :shock: ???

Better go and prepare tomorrow's breakfast or else i'd be stuck with having apples....again!
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I better soak my steel cut oats too. I'll be back in a sec. :car:
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

you need to "soak" the oats :shock: ??!!! I just throw mine in boiling water and let it cook.... have i been "cooking" it wrong for the past....who knows how long :shock: ??!!!
  8. Sagitta

9. Sagitta

What type oats do you have? There is rolled, quick and steel cut? I also soak mine in milk and use only milk to make my porridge. It is so creamy and tasty that everyone who has mine falls in love with it. :D
  10. lynn

lynn New Member

mine's rolled.....wait, aren't all oats rolled?? mine's definately not quick, those turn out mushy, i like my oats a little chewy....

Eh...i'm not a big dairy fan - milkshakes & ice-cream are exceptions, so no milk in my oats, plz!
  11. pygmalion

I think the "rolled oats" are also called old-fashioned oats -- the long cooking kind. Then there are quick oats. And then there are the health-food-store kind, steel cut oats.

I go for quick or even better, instant. :shock: My Mom would be scandalized. But what the heck! She never worked outside the home, so all she had to do in the early morning was make our oatmeal, pack our lunches, then plan her day. I have to do a whole lot more than that. So Quaker brand instant it is. :wink: 8)
  12. lynn

lynn New Member

my oats take about 2 mins to cook, so definately not instant, but doesn't take the entire morning either....steel cut oats?? that's the first time i heard of it! must check it out tomorrow!!
  13. pygmalion

Okay. Good night for real. Having a bad night, but I'll try to get some sleep anyway. :( :kitty:
  14. lynn

lynn New Member

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I toss a cup of oats in with my brown rice when I cook it. Lotsa good grain action going on there.

Speaking of scones a while back, I love them too. Generally only eat them when I'm on vacation. The hotel I always stay at in Seoul has a wonderful bakery in the lobby and my friends & I get scones there & bananas from the market and have nice breakfasts in our room.
  16. Sagitta

Quick or rolled probbaly si what you have. Not as nutrious as the steel cut version. It actually takes about 6/7 minutes for me as the oast are soaked...otherwise about half an hour.
  17. pygmalion

Now I have a taste for scones and tea. :?
  18. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm sticking to sweet potatoe - high fiber, low calorie :lol: !
  19. lynn

lynn New Member

P.S.

Where do you find the steel cut version?? I've searched our local supermkt and couldn't find it....??? I think i'll need to go to a bigger store...
  20. Sagitta

I get mine at the co-op. It is available at the bigger grocery store but way too expensive, paying for the packaging. I get mine from teh bulks ection of teh co-op and that's much better. :)