breaking new shoes in for upcoming comps, versus sore feet and crappy lessons

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, May 25, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so...that pretty much describes it...I need to break my shoes in...but, given my age and the heel height that I use as well as the sad state of my feet...it is an ugly process....i hate to wear the shoes on lessons to break them in b/c the dancing is effected and that can be important mentally and physically before a comp...any tips?...do I just prance around the house in them? or stink it up and live through the ugliness on lessons? ideas?
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pay someone with the same foot size to wear them for a while? :D
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I read somewhere (probably here!) to wear them around the house with socks on to help stretch them out.
    samina likes this.
  4. fascination

ah...you are right...I have read that as well...site moderator failure to use search function...mea culpa
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

In addition, wearing them for 5-10 minute stretches in lessons would be helpful. Though take heed: it took me only 10 minutes with one new pair to give me the makings of what later blossomed into a horrible blister on comp day. I didn't prepare the shoes far enough in advance, alas...
  6. fascination

exactly...and my skin is like paper...I have blood stain on MANY shoes...nevermind how much I dance...even though I have scaled back considerably, it still isn't something to be trifled with
    samina likes this.
  7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Massage the satin with your hands before you put them on. It breaks up the stiffness, and then I just wear them around the house or for 1-2 practices.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

If there's a spot that is particularly troublesome (which I always have in one spot on one foot) I soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and stick it in-between my foot and shoe... then I watch tv or something in the them until the cotton ball dries. If I'm careful, it doesn't seem to waterspot the satin... but pjs and court shoes is definitely a special kind of look.

Plus all the above strategies :)

That said, I still hated my new ones at lessons last night and abandoned them after about 20 minutes... but I did only start the break-in process on Wed, so to be expected.
  9. fascination

sigh...yep...I just dread it...but it has to happen...thanks for the tip
  10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Isn't there some way the shoe designers can design so that we bypass this process?
  11. fascination

I wish......the only thing I can think of is to simply start buying them a half size larger, but then my foot starts moving around too much inside the back of the shoe....I know some of it is age and what I have done to my feet in the past 8 years of dancing because it wasn't as big a deal to work through it in the past
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I don't suppose changing brands and styles would help? b/c the shoes I now wear were comfortable and supportive from moment one, and have not stretched out past the point of usefulness in hours and hours of dancing.
  13. fascination

well...we shall have to talk...I have worn three brands in latins....they aren't such a problem because they are mostly open in the front.....I have only worn two brands in smooth and standard shoes....I have a smooth shoe now that breaks in fairly easily, but, as regards court shoes, there is no mercy to be found there...and if you have a suggestion on that one, I will gladly listen
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

15. fascination

will look into this once I return home from heaven
  16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I break in my shoes slowly over a week or so in my practices (not lessons usually). Since I wear the same model of shoes each time, I know where they will rub. I tape my feet at those places, and then wear the new shoes for 10-15 minutes...then off they go and it's back to a worn in pair. Rinse, lather and repeat for 4 or 5 days and usually that's enough. I will increase the amount of time I wear them for depending if the pressure I am experiencing lessens each time.

I wear RR shoes and they are known for being easy to break in and "floor ready". Other brands of shoes I would probably increase the amount of times I do the 10-15 minute sessions to a couple of weeks.
    fascination likes this.