Bridal Waltz

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Blunda, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Blunda

Blunda New Member

Hello

I am new to ballroom dancing and enjoy it very much. Me an my fiance have been learning the waltz and would like to use this dance as our first dance at our wedding. The below were our top 3 songs but I dont think any are waltz songs:

Elvis Costello - She
    Louis Armstrong - Wonderful world
    Eric Clapton - Wonderful tonight.

Can anyone suggest a good song to dance too? because neither of us can find a song we both like. As you can see from the list above we like old soul and rock music.

Thanks for your time

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Journey's "Open Arms?"

3. Blunda

Blunda New Member

Thanks, but unfortunately neither of us are journey fans, not that keen on the song.

4. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Take it to the Limit - The Eagles
    Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis
    May I Have this Dance For the Rest of my Life - Anne Murray

5. Blunda

Blunda New Member

Hmm, I have found those ones, but neither of us like them either. Any one know any good sole tracks we can waltz to?

6. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Does your dance have to be a waltz? All three of the songs above could support a nightclub two-step, which, with the right choreography, could be quite romantic.

If you really must do a waltz, give us a clue as to what to suggest by telling us what other artists you like.

Also, if you do a Google search on the string "first dance music wedding" you'll come up with an abundance of ideas.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Happiness and Heartaches - Des Oconnor
    Loved All Along - Shrek Soundtrack
    My Cherie - Al martino
    A True True Love - Bobby Darin
    True Love - Al Martino
    Fascination - Nat King Cole
    Dance Only With Me - Perry Como

Might not all be great ideas, jsut a few titles out of my waltz collection.

8. Blunda

Blunda New Member

Is van morrison - Have I told you lately a waltz?

Well we only have about 8 weeks to go and the waltz is the dance we get on the best with so we would prefer to perfect the waltz rather than learn a new one.

9. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

No, sorry, it's another nightclub two-step.

Are you taking dance lessons? If so, be sure to ask your instructor for song suggestions!

10. Oversway

Oversway New Member

I am sure that you could find somewhere a "waltz" version of What a wonderful world. I agree this song would be great for a wedding. You can easily count 3 beats on this song if you syncopate it. In this video the band interprets "What a wonderful world" as a waltz: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/337974/2171459. If you like it I am sure that a similar version exists somewhere... Just have to find it.

11. Bella

Bella New Member

12. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

why not try "i wonder why" by curtis stigers?

13. amiko

amiko New Member

Here's a list of contemporary waltz's:
    http://www.secretweddingsongs.com/bridal-waltz-songs.html

I suggest I'll Be - Edwin McCain

Some other ones:
    Dreamworld (Robin Thicke)
    If I Ain't Got You (alicia keys)
    Fallin (alicia keys)
    Open Arms (journey)
    Endless Love (is a 6 count, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie)
    When You Say Nothing At All (Allison Krauss)
    No Ordinary Love (Sade)
    When A Man Loves A Woman (Percy Sledge or Michael Bolton)
    At Last (Etta James)
    Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers)

14. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

You are suggesting some nice wedding waltzes on this thread. Most of the songs for the wedding dance I hear in our studio are very sad and sappy, more like break up songs. I thought that the music for the wedding dance should be happy and uplifting. It is about the beginning of the ever happy, not the morning of the freedom, or is it:)

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

silver FT or intl FT are quite a bit like waltz, which your instructor would know, and you can FT to just about anything

16. suburbaknght

"I'll Be," "Fallin," and "When a Man Loves a Woman," are Viennese waltzes, not slow waltzes. "When You Say Nothing at All," is in 4/4 time and is a rumba, not a waltz, and "At Last" is blues and not danceable at all in the Etta James version (see one of several threads on the song). And those are just the ones I recognize off the top of my head. I would not trust that link to match songs to dance styles for me.

17. While I agree the popular version of the song is harder to dance to, the original LP version from Etta James has a very strong 6/8 beat where, if one is not swayed by the vocal stylings, one could possibly use for a VW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bD8URlKhM - Starts at 2:30.

18. newbie

newbie Active Member

Carribean blue, by Enya

19. suburbaknght

Strange, that's a much stronger beat than I've heard before on any Etta James version. I'm not sure I trust You Tube that that's the original. That said, I maintain I've yet to see a wedding couple that had the dedication to learn Viennese (especially one at that speed) for a wedding dance.

20. RickRS

RickRS Member

There's Aretha Franklin's classic soul in 3/4 time: (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman