Buying Tango Shoes in Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancingJools, Apr 18, 2012.

1. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I just found out I will be traveling to Brazil (Rio), Montevideo (Uruguay), and most likely Buenos Aires, which is very close to Montevideo. So of course I am thinking of buying shoes. My question is: Is there a significant price difference in buying shoes (CIF, or similar) locally in Latin America, specifically BA, compared to buying them in the States of Europe? I know that shipping and/or taxes can be a significant cost if buying online or in the States/Europe, and that buying in an authentic store is a chance to try on many pairs and such. But strictly speaking, is the price of the shoe itself likely to be cheaper in Argentina, say, compared to buying it in the States, or is it like any name brand item, where the price of the product will generally be the same worldwide?

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

IM (6-year-old) E, the price difference between buying CiFs in BsAs and the US was staggering. IIRC, they were about a half to a third what the US cost is.

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

From my March 2012 Comme il Faut store visit: the shoes were from $100 for past seasons or least popular models to $140 US dollars for newer styles.

4. Peaches

Which is a lot less than the ~$230 that they cost in the US.

5. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Everyone based in the US I know of (Yolanda Rossi, Diva Boutique, Felina Shoes, JuliaBella, MalevaShoes...) charges ~$200 for CiF. Which still is more expensive than in Buenos Aires, of course.

6. Peaches

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I would be really surprised if current exchange rates didn't play a role. That may explain the different experiences people have had. Do you have to pay VAT in Argentina? Does it get refunded at the airport, the way it does in some European countries?

8. Peaches

Dunno. My airport experience was...different. Pilot strike and all that. I know that when was there the exchange rate was about 3:1. Prices looked perfectly normal and reasonable and like US prices...until you realized they were a third of the price of US dollars. Even with the exchange rate, they were still cheaper there.

9. jantango

jantango Active Member

Montevideo to Buenos Aires is a one-hour flight or a 3-1/2 hour boat ride.

Tango shoes that are "made in Argentina" are always less expensive in Buenos Aires than the USA or Europe. Distributors have to make a profit to justify their travel to BsAs to select and ship the shoes for local sale at their shops and local festivals.

I found my two pairs of Comme il faut shoes at a BsAs consignment shop at bargain prices.