Can you tell someone's a dancer

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Indeed - the new pair would be used for shows and competition. If you're watching a show or competition, hopefully you don't have to look at the shoes.

2. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I refrain from asking women wearing dance sneakers, as they're still too sticky for good ballroom.

3. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

How to tell if someone's a dancer? Look up, not down. At their posture, that is. Nearly a sure giveaway of a dancer is the beautiful upper body carriage. That posture is trained in; it rarely comes naturally.

4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I could probably tell, but I've always been spotted by people as dancer, even though I was not intended to tell others, like last time I was at a salon for nails, the girl who did my nails asked me if I'm a dancer, since she has a sister who did some ballet so she can relate.

5. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

Yes! And flip-flops, or shoes with an open back that the heel can slide around in.

I can usually tell by clothes. A "real" dancer will wear something that moves easily and still looks nice, and ladies will have their hair out of the way.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Actually the funniest one, come to think of it, wasn't at a dance venue in any way. I had an adult tour group at the Concord Museum and after we finished, one lady came up and asked if I was a dancer. I admitted it and she said she knew because her daughter was a ballet teacher and I spent most of the time when I stopped to talk standing in fourth or second position!

7. Yana

Yana Member

I went to an outdoors sports store (such as fishing, hunting, etc.) with my husband once and the male cashier asked me (really stated, not asked) if I was a dancer. When I asked him how he knew, he said it was by the way I walked and the way I was standing. So I guess some people can tell a dancer from a non-dancer :)

8. Paul NC

Paul NC New Member

I have been caught doing a grape vine down the isle when looking for something

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I suspect you may not be the only one. Not admitting anything. Just sayin'

10. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

This is a customer service announcement..... 3-pouch multi-pack of beef jerky now priced at $9.22 to clear. Please make your way to aisle 5 where there is also a young lady ballroom dancing.

11. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Standard dancers hug people with their head to the left.

The next time you're at a venue where there are a bunch of standard dancers, watch people greet each other. This is fact, lol.

12. ROFLMAO!!! :uplaugh: I agree, this is totally true. Not just standard, but American as well... basically all ballroom dancers, really.

I'm a noob dancer, and I've already noticed this happening in the studio. All of the instructors definitely do this, and some of the veteran students seem to have developed this habit, too. In fact, I'm starting to do it too, because whenever my instructor hugs me, she always leans in with her head to the left of mine, so in order to avoid facial collision, I'm sort of forced to, by default.

13. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I don't know about this one. I can't WALK in heels to save my life. But I can sure as heck DANCE in them. ;)

14. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I noticed this too and I thought it was funny. A hug to the right just feels weird. ;)

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Next chance I get, I'm going to go for the right. :razz:

16. Terpsichorean Clod

Welcome to Dance Forums, MidwestDancingGuy!

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Nice to have you back, SSD!

18. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

If you try it with me, I will probably assume you're goung to do a European greeting ... left cheek then right cheek. (Though sometimes I forget and try to do right cheek first, and we bump noses ...)

19. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Thanks, TC! :together: I've still been lurking from time to time, just not posting so much lately.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Eh. I think it depends more on the venue. Street shoes, especially flashy ones, just say to me they aren't formaly-training-in-partner-dance dancers. They could be serious club dancers or something.

The swing dancers I've seen seem to have their broken in dance shoes same as anyone else, ditto wrt salsa. Flashy, expensive shoes? Then I'm definitely at an AT venue. Now...street shoes at an AT venue..definite newbie.

As for a litmus test...if they're dancing, i assume they're dancers.