Can you tell someone's a dancer

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Love it!!
  2. Yana

Yana Member

LOL, me too! I actually gave up on wearing heels except to dance.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...this is very true...I always go left with my head and now that I have a move in open smooth where, in an instant I have to go left but tilt the head in the opposite direction...nothing in me wants to put my head down and shorten the right side of my neck...is freaking me out:rolleyes:
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh...another tell tale moment is asking a dancer to pose for a picture...look at their foot position :)
  5. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Brilliant. :applause:
  6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

protective acid mantle of feet skin

You mean they step on the litmus strip, and if it turnes red, they are real dancers? Done with or without shoes?

[​IMG]
  7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a good test. I learned to wear heels long before I learned how to dance. It was like a rite of passage of sorts (women wear heels, girls wear flats. we all wanted to grow up). And you haven't learned to wear heels until you can sprint the entire length of the parking lot in them to catch the train. It's been a long time since I had to do it. Driving's better.
  8. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Not to mention that there are forms of dance where the ladies don't wear heels.
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. BTDT. Bouth the t-shirt, and matching pants, and jacket, and bag. And some other stuff. Many times over.
  10. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

You can tell even when they're standing around. Also look at if they're settled into their hip. ;)
  11. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I also think there's a certain confidence in movement that dancers display, even when just walking around. Maybe it has to do with carriage, but they just seem to have a certain ease about getting from place to place.
  12. Thanks, TC! :D

Also, it could also be that dancers seem to walk in a slightly different way. For example, in my Bronze class right now, my teacher is teaching me about how in quite a few dances, when you move your body across the floor, you push off with your rear leg, similar to ice skating or cross country skiing. I've found that dancers tend to walk differently than most other people. In fact, there's even a difference to their gait depending on whether they have been trained in ballroom dance vs. ballet.
  13. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Oooh please further explain!! I am curious to know your take on this. :smile:
  14. Well, for example, I've noticed that ballet dancers (that have no ballroom experience) have a tendency to walk a bit duck-footed, but in a very particular way. Instead of most people that walk duck-footed (which is natural), it appears that their foot falls in a specific way... I have no experience with ballet personally, other than having some friends growing up that did ballet, so it's a bit hard for me to explain. Maybe something to do with the sequence of how they land their heels/balls of their feet? Also, I've noticed that quite a few ballet dancers, as soon as they stop walking, tend to end up in one of the ballet foot positions (I believe it was called 4th position or something?).

Ballroom dancers, on the other hand (even the ones who have come from previous ballet experience), seem to move their legs in such a way as look like they're always walking with high-heels on, even when they aren't wearing heels (obviously, I'm talking about the ladies here, for the most part). Also, ballroom dancers' upper bodies frequently look like they are in frame when walking around (you know, the spiel that I always get from my teacher... "shoulders back and down, chest out, tummy in, close the ribcage", etc. etc. etc.) Even though ballet dancers also have a particular way of carrying their upper body in something that resembles their "dance frame", there does appear to be a difference between the postures, at least from what I've noticed.

Just my own personal, anecdotal, totally unscientific observations. ;-)
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I walk duck-footed, but I was born that way. And yes, I'll stop in a rough fourth. (VERY limited ballet except what I've taught myself, but I have natural turnout that makes ballet teachers weep and male ballroom pros cringe. I should probably stop pointing my feet backwards just to gross them out.)

And I really wish dance teachers would refrain from making skating analogies unless they are in fact figure skaters because it just isn't the same at all.
  16. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

given that the average person would have little any reason to conceal any clues that they have a dance background, it doesn't seem like much of a reach to imagine that people with a dance background could identify others with a similar background. but if you purposely try to conceal these clues, you can. i tend to try and do so.

part of this comes from my experience from working with cate caplin. i got a chance to observe her over a number of days, and more than anything, she came across as an unassuming yoda - until i saw her demonstrate a movement from the choreography she was visualizing for someone else - it was like: POW! - and in the next moment, she was yoda again. but the foundation of this came from my sharing a house with a black belt martial artist. what i got from that experience was that it was his students who might be expected to respond instinctively to aggressive stimuli, whereas a true master was always in control and possessed the ability to turn their training on and off at will.

i like to attend live shows where there may be dancing, but since i may prefer not to dance, i prefer to avoid dressing in a way that suggests i'm there to dance, including my shoes. before i discovered bowling shoes that look like regular tennis shoes, i would wear regular tennis shoes and place a strip of duct tape across the ball of the sole.

of course, you can't always get what you want. i was once dressed in stealth mode when a member of a swing dance band came off the stage trying to get non-dancers to dance. because the music was relatively ambiguous IMO i asked her if she preferred to dance a chacha or west coast swing to that particular song. she went with chacha and when she got back on stage she pointed me out to the rest of the crowd.
  17. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

I attended a show last summer the was advertised as S.C.D. It advertised some British Pros headlined by a well known old UK pro stage dancer. The UK pros weren't there, but yes we could tell who the dancers were, they were the local amateurs wearing their best odd ragged and shoddy practice shoes as well as their lounge suit jackets for the standard numbers, you literally couldn't see their ears!
    In the bar in the interval, the producers of the show were patting themselves on the back for how well the show was going, I had to hold back my partner from ripping into them in the shoddy way that they allowed Ballroom to be portrayed.
    It was a rip off!
  18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I can't always tell...
  19. Another thing I thought of... I was watching an instructional clip of Toni Redpath, and she was talking about posture. She made the point of there being 3 types of posture: bad posture (i.e., slouching), good posture, and dancers' posture. I've found that quite a few dancers walk around with what could almost be described as dancer's posture.
  20. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Its in the walk and posture. I can tell right away.