Cant Afford My Lessons :-(

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Ok so I'm sure you all know that lessons can be very very expensive. I am abut to start taking some privates every week to every other week with a coach/judge/teacher (in case the titles make a difference) and each lesson is about $100 for 45 min! So my queestion is, does anyone have any creative ideas on how to legally make some extra cash. My friend suggested selling candies which I thought was a joke but I'm strating to take her seriously. I want to start seriously competing soon so I am kinda in a hurry here. Thanks for reading everyone!

2. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

P.S. Its kinda embarassing admiting that I cant afford my lessons so thanks again for everyones support

3. reb

reb Active Member

chocolatchica,

You and I live in the same area - this is not the standard out here (except for the chain studios, which are higher).

We take lessons from champions and pay less. When I say champions, I mean champions - plural. We're in-and-out of studios from LA through OC to San Diego.

Please PM me and we can talk.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, maybe you can start selling things. I make my own jewelry and sell them. It didn't cost a lot to get a license, but you have to get a license if you want to sell things legally like that. It was pretty easy to do though. Selling candies and/or things like even Mary Kay are a good idea and from what I understand you don't need a license if you go with a company like that. You could probably sell Mary Kay to your dancer friends. I mean seriously. Think of something maybe related to dance that you can sell like what I did. It's just a thought. I feel for you though.

5. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

As long as you don't want to compete as an amateur at NDCA comps, you could teach.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I just want to ditto what reb said: there are numerous national and international champions in the area (and who are also excellent teachers) charging less.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not if she's dancing pro/am either

8. reb

reb Active Member

and excellent teachers who are not champions

and . . . excellent teachers who are not champions (yet);)

There's a lot out here.

9. fascination

admittedly, I don't dance out there nor with a champion...but uh, that's alot more than I pay

10. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Thanks for your input everyone! I didnt wanna say any names or anything but she has won numerous titles. I did think it was pricey but I was told that privates do run a lot especially with judges. I was thinking of teaching but would like to compete in amateur. Once again thanks for your input and I'll let you know what happens :)

11. fascination

my thoughts exactly:wink:

12. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

What do you suppose the "am" in "pro/am" stands for? ;-)

13. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Some of the titles: Open British Proffesional Latin Champion
    UK Prof Latin Champion
    Twice European Latin Champion
    US Open Prof Latin Champion
    German Open Latin Champion
    and more.... I have my eye on takling lessons with this instructor because I have heard they give awesom results but I know it depends on the students as well. Do you think its worth it for someone who is treching their money? My part-time partner says yes. Any input?

14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

chocolatechica....what level are you at? The credentials of this coach are quite good (and hopefully she/he has a good eye for analysis and developed a good teaching method), but depending on your level, you may have the opportunity to make sure your fundamentals are sound with an outstanding coach whose rates are a tad more affrordable. Then I might suggest that you supplement your coaching with this high powered help.

15. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

P.S. I just contacted another instructor and they wanted to charge $110 for 45 min. Wow! Can you imagine? It must be nice making close to $100 an hour. What a job!

16. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Member

Is your "part-time" partner taking these lessons with you? Is he contributing to paying part of the costs?

17. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Are other coaches with similar credentials cheaper in your area? I would recommend to get the best you can afford. It's important that you learn the basics right... a lot of people end up having to relearn them and struggling with bad habits.

I consider the best: best dancer which has proven to teach and create great high level dancers too.

18. fascination

are we talking coach or instructor here?...I am befuddeld...I never pay less than 120 for a coach...and only some will take me w/out pro...but for a regular lesson lordie, that's alot....I suppose if I was open gold and they'd dance with me I'd be happy to do that but, yikes, not right off the bat

19. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

What's the difference between a coach and instructor?

20. fascination

in my little pro/am corner of the woods...my instructor is my teacher, my pro..granted he, and certainly instructors of greater notariety, have gone here and there to coach...certainly any pro can, but the charge for that is generally more than what they charge a student for a lesson...in our case, the coaches we have fly in from somewhere, they usually have a few titles on which to hang their hats and they charge accordingly...and one cannot assume that they will spend any time dancing with you...though it is generally heaven when they do, and both my instructor and I get the coaching.....that is a sloppy answer, that I am sure some more deliberate soul will elaborate upon