Cant Afford My Lessons :-(

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

If they TEACH that good, then an extra $10 or $15 per lesson above what others are charging is worth it. You don't want to pay extra for the name, but if they are excellent teachers, then you will probably actually get more for your money in the long run. It's worth trying a couple of lessons to find out.
  2. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Both of you receive coaching...hmmm... interesting concept. I think I was worried that I would offend my instructor if I went to anyone else for lessons. Although sometimes I think it would be helpful to have a females perspective when it comes to technique..mostly the arms.

Did your pro suggest the coaching or did you?
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think you are still not understanding me...I don't go to anyone else for lessons, although I could and my pro is a big boy and would handle that like a pro...we as a pro/am couple get coached together...often he will have a lesson with that coach later but the coaching we take together...as for lessons, with someone else, meh secure pros can handle that
  4. fascination

BOT...this is a good point, IF they are also a good teacher, which IME is most often the case, BUT, not always...
  5. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Unfortunately $80-100/45 minutes is inline with what my kids (am/am) pay for regular coaching/teaching from a high-level professional (although there are some excellent coaches in Las Vegas that only charge $85/hour). We have paid for high level coaching right from the beginning and it has paid off...they haven't had to re-learn much. Visiting coaches range from $100 to $215 for 45 minutes so they stick with teachers the want to continue on with and pass on "political lessons." Anyway....$100/45 minutes is not that unusual.

At these prices both my kids work almost full-time to pay for lessons and a good portion of my paycheck helps out. They've also tried delivering phone books but it wasn't worth it. So we've sold everything non-essential...treadmill, 2 cars, jewelry, etc. If the NDCA goes with allowing amateurs to teach...that might help too.

This is not to say that there are not fantastic teachers who charge a LOT less. Only that $100/45m is not out-of-line.
  6. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

He occasionaly taked with me but because he is at a higher level than me I take more with the instructor than he does. I am trying to catch up. And I would say I am at in intermediate level?? I'm not sure how to explain. My goal is to do 10 dance but right now I am focusing on doing open ameteur latin
  7. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

coach/instructor. she's sorta both and I must say the best of the best in my area
  8. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Is your partner is too good to to help pay for and benefit from lessons from a high-level professional?
  9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Couldn't the same thing be said about a pro/am teacher, when a visiting coach is in town?

Some of them will provide their time at such a lesson at a reduced rate or even free, but I never heard of one chipping in to pay. For that they take their own lessons.

Amateur partnerships - or perhaps we should say - "arrangements" exist in a variety of forms too, taking into acount not just dancing issues, but also personal finance issues.
  10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Are you planning to take lessons with your partner or alone? If he's going to be there, he should be chipping in. Unless he's better than the coach, there will plenty for him to learn.

And frankly, I think he should be there anyway. It's a partnership, right? For competition, you want to learn to dance most effectively together, not just as two individuals. And there are no doubt things he could learn that would help you as a couple dance at your best. When my pro and I take coaching from top-level coaches, there are sometimes one or two corrections made to his lead (I really respect him for being open to that).

And if he is really much more advanced than you, if he were at the lessons, he could then help you with the material between lessons, which might mean you had to take lessons less often.
  11. reb

reb Active Member

chocolatchica,

Well this narrowed it down - all the way!;)

Without question, your lessons are worth every penny!

Looking back at your original post, I see that you were really asking about additional ways to make money to help pay for these lessons.
  12. reb

reb Active Member

Right on!

And don't forget the practicing before and after the lesson - individually and together.
  13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Again I have to ditto reb - all the way. ;)
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

If it's who I think it is, I agree the price is worth the teachings you get - if you are at a certain level.

I still maintain that you can learn great fundamentals (and not have to "re-learn" them as you advance) from highly qualified instructors that charge less, you just have to know where to look and how to evaluate your potential instructors.

BTW, I overheard one coach of this caliber say in so many words that they were no longer the best to teach lower level students, not because they were above it, but because day in and day out they normally deal with higher level issues and thought/teach mostly on that level.
  15. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Thats a good point. I'm going to talk to him tonight about it.
  16. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I dont think this thread would be insulting to this great instructor I just dont want to be postin their name up and down with prices and whatnot without them knowing. Might come off rude or offensive. But once again, I appreciate everyones input. Thanks!
  17. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Oh I also forgot to ask. Could you explain more about the level issue? Is the level you are more helpful.ot to say that I am a beginner (well I'm not but I'm not Maria Manusova either) but I always thought it would be best to take with someone who can teach you solid basics because I know I'm trying to unlearn some bad habits a not so awesom instructor taught me. And I know basic are so so important becayse they are the base of your dancing. Almost in every dance style (ballet, jazz, ballroom, latin, etc) is all is built upon and goes back to basics
  18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to deduce who the coach is as others have (I'm not so knowledgeable about these things). But in cases such as these, it's prudent to take lessons from said coach only once or twice per month, depending on your budget, and take more frequent lessons from a much cheaper but still very good instructor.

T_E
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take from her unless I was minimum Prechamp level...
  20. fascination

well then...my little side gig has been fitness instruction, I do also know folks who sell stuff...the whole home party circuit...you could also babysit, or consider yardwork or even elder-sit...those would be my first suggestions