Cant Afford My Lessons :-(

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I agree w/ LG ...AND please don't post more that the initials;)

2. chica latina

chica latina New Member

IMO..... I would only take lessons with her and if you can't afford it weekly, do it less often. If she's a good teacher, I'm sure she will give you concepts that you can work on by yourself/your partner that will require time to deliver. The problem with having other non- so good teachers is that sometimes they start trying to fix other small details and could take away your focus from the area that really needs attention and will take time to develop but at the end will make you a better dancer, not sure if it makes sense.

3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Why not?

4. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I feel your pain on the money issue. I'm getting two lessons a month with a teacher who takes from a well known standard/smooth pro for working the desk as their studio's salsa night, which usually starts at 8:30 and ends at 2 in the morning. No one usually wants to work the door for something that late(plus by the time you clean up afterwards, its close to 3 if not after). And if they need a substitute other nights or on the weekend, they call me and I can get yet another lesson from him for that. If you know the local dance crowd, you might could ask around and see if you could work at that studio or another one for lessons or for money, depending. If you can play an instrument, sometimes churches or other organizations will pay for your services(piano especially). I did that for a while until the drive became too much because of gas prices.

5. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Well, when I started dancing until I was out of syllabus, I didn't want to have private coaching from visiting coaches since it was expensive and I didn't think I'd be able to absorb it all and take full advantage of the lesson- but that's just me.

chocolatchica- Keep getting recommendations from people. I'm not saying to stop going to this coach, but maybe go less frequently and find someone else to go to the rest of the time since it's so expensive. If you only want to go to her, look into group classes, but I think you could have more than one coach. I see what chicalatina is saying, but I also think it's nice to have a couple of differnt perspectives on your dancing- it all comes down to what's best for you. You could gain a lot at this point in your dancing from teachers who charge less.

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think it merits a whole thread of its own, but I disagree with the idea that you cannot take full advantage from a lesson with an expert coach until you yourself are past syllabus level. I take from visiting coaches whenever I have such opportunity and I find that those lessons were very, very, very useful for me and they helped me tremendously with my competitive endeavours. And I still compete in closed levels for most part.

7. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I'm just saying that it's how I felt personally since the coachings were very expensive for me. It all depends on your situation as an individual. I'm not saying it applies to everyone. It didn't even really have to do with being in syllabus or not- I just meant that I didn't feel I had been dancing long enough.

8. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I can identify with you both here. On one hand, I wouldnt dare take from a expert coach right now (I've been dancing 2 years now but only one lesson a week). I am embarrassed at my lack of knowledge and lack of ability to immediately pick things up, and this is with my regular instructor! I shudder to think what it would be like to take from an expert coach; I would feel like I was wasting their time because I know so little. On the other hand, I took from someone for a year and a half who didn't focus on technique and taught more for social dancing purposes and showcases(i.e. performance and feel, not technique), and found out in the last couple of months that I had been doing many things wrong because that former teacher didnt feel the need to correct me. Which may have something to do with the not wanting to take from an expert coach.

Let me amend my above post to say that I DID try a lesson with an expert pro once and they had me in tears [of frustration] by the end of the lesson because they couldn't backtrack far enough for me without getting frustrated that I couldnt get it, which led to me being frustrated for not being able to get it. Needless to say we were both happy to not have another lesson. So I would suggest trying a couple of lesson with him/her and seeing if you like the way they teach. Its funny to me how you can spend an hour going over technique with one instructor, and leave frustrated and irritated, but yet spend an hour going over technique with another instructor and you can feel yourself ALMOST get it, and leave wanting more [with no frustration]. Havent figured that one out yet....but I'm definitely hanging on to the latter teacher. Now if only I could get him to agree to compete with me(whats with the teachers who dont want to compete?! Off to the whining thread!!)

9. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Sorry:oops:

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Rest assured, the credentials were more than enough to figure it out. ;)

11. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I think I have decided that I am going to schedule a lesson and see what this instructor think. To see if they think that my level and teaching will be a good match. I have heard great things about this instructor and you cant go wrong with an evaluation lesson. Either way it'll be a learning experiance whether this is a good instructor for me to save up for or they can refer me to someone I could beter match with. Thanks for your ideas an help everyone! I'll let you know how everything goes. I'm sure it'll be great. Happy Dancing! :)

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Cost-benefit ratio, combined with the level of my dancing/understanding.

13. liz

liz New Member

I have taken lessons by many instructors who would come to the studio I was in before. there I would have my normal instructor dance with me and we would learn the material together. I have learned now that what was really going on was that I was paying to allow my local teacher to advance in his skills. In short I got alot of material that was way to advance for me at the time. You live and learn. Now I travel to train with a great instructor/pro partner. The biggest difference is that we are on the same page and I don't have to worry that my best interest are not in mind. I have since had to relearn everything that I new before. My point is you get what you pay for, if you have the chance to work with someone who will really better your dancing then do everything you can to make it possible... I also vidoe alot of my sessions then once I am home I can review. Then, your money is never lost and you can watch it over and over.... I also take notes at the end of each to have for later...

14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Have to agree on the videoing. Save five minutes at the end of the lesson and have the teacher review the important points covered in the lesson. Esp. if you don't have a good memory - like me!

15. fascination

AND...and excellent way to commit it all to memory is to watch the video and write it down in your own language

16. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Do most teachers really let you do that? That sounds like a great ideas if they do. My memory isnt the best

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Every teacher I have ever asked has been willing to summarize some of the important points of the lesson on video. But, remember to save some time at the end of the lesson for that don't expect them to do it on their time.

18. fascination

most of my instructors have suggested it...at least in the beginning when introducing new stuff...mainly so that we get learning the pattern done and out of the way so that we can focus on more important matters...but yes...bring tape remind them that you have it so that 15 minutes before lesson is over it can be taken care of

19. liz

liz New Member

yes, I have not had anyone tell me that I could not vidoe. One thing that I had to learn is that we( the students) are paying for our lessons. It is up to us to make sure that we get what we are paying for. I come in with a list of questions that I need answered and I make sure that I am clear before I leave. I am mainly talking about teachers who you only have for a short moment. If they are the best in what they do, then they are the ones you should get the right answers from. I had to get over being the quite passive southern girl and take things into my own hands. Don't be afraid to ask...
    Also, as for the money issue, have you thought of doing hair and make-up at comps. I have started doing this myself and it seems to be a good idea. you will need to do your homework and get everything down first. But, there is alot of money to be made this way....I also sale the dressing robes...