Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

There's an article in the latest American Dancer announcing her as a judge at the 2009 Nationals. Will they actually be letting her judge? Or is USA Dance just going to list her as a judge for publicity?
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

It's being worked on.
  3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

There's a million jobs at these events, she couldn't do something other than judging?
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm thinking it's a big publicity thing...like Entertainment Tonight and People Magazine etc etc will follow her to Nationals or something.

Speaking for myself, I really do not like the idea of her actually judging anything that leads to World Team selection or a National Championship. I'm hoping they'll just do something where she somehow provides feedback without the scores actually counting. I have nothing against her, but as far as I know she doesn't have the qualifications or experience that is usually demanded of judges for Nationals -- passing a certain level of judging certifications, having actual experience working at events of different sizes and levels, and so on.

I'm very interested to see what happens with this.
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

CCP and I were having this exact same discussion within the past 10 minutes!

I'm deeply of two minds.
    1) If it draws more attention to USA Dance and garners publicity, it's a good thing.

2) On the other hand, it would be a bad idea for her to be judging championship level events which determine who gets sent to worlds. I in no way doubt her ability to judge performance, musicality, lines...but she doesn't have the wealth of experience in latin and ballroom that we expect of Nationals judges.

The typical USA Dance panel is stacked with past national champions and finalists whom every competitor respects and admires. I think that's important.

Maybe she could co-emcee a session? She certainly has an appealing personality, and I'll bet she could help keep the energy in the room pumping. I think it's great that she's interested in the am world.
  6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

She could be a Special Invigilator to make sure all competitors keep at least one foot on the floor at all times. :D
  7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Bwahaha! I'm so glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that.:p
  8. Me

Me New Member

:uplaugh:
  9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What kind of message does it send if USA Dance will violate it's own rulebook?
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think it would be very unfortunate publicity stunt if she were to be put on a real ballroom panel. She has repeated shown live all over TV her lack of understanding of partner dancing.

Most of the people that judge that competition have spent their entire lives dedicated to ballroom/latin, competing, and now training some of the best competitiors in the US. I think it is an insult to the real judges and the competitiors when someone unqualified shows up on a panel of that importance.
  11. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

...and only putting the TV judge on the lower level events doesn't make it okay either - if anything, those require more expertise in the specific dances to sort out than the more complete performances of the champ events do.
  12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

The concerns about the top levels of the comp being judged by her of course being valid, I think at the bottom levels it's just as valid. What does it say to a syllabus competitor that's worked their way there, and expects to get top level judging of their dancing and instead gets someone that thinks there no difference between the winning celebrity of DWTS and Karina?
  13. Larinda McRaven

YES! I find the upper levels relatively easier to sort through. The lower levels take more scrutiny and understanding of the different fundamentals that dancers are working their way around and developing.
  14. Larinda McRaven

oye vey!
  15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've compiled a list of suggested judges for future Nationals:
    Cari French
    Deidre Lang-Seasons
    Lisa Marie Todd-Seasons
    Michelle Whitney-Morrison
    Carla Garrido
    Jennifer Lopez
    Jossie Harris
    Lisa Joann Thompson
    Laurie Ann Gibson
    Masako Willis
    MaDonna Grimes
  16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

The "fly girls?"

Oh, dear.
  17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Hey, if Carrie Ann is qualified, why not any of the other ones?
  18. Laura

Laura New Member

I wanna judge.
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I want Laura to judge too.
  20. Laura

Laura New Member

Nah, I too easily get distracted by the dresses.