Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

This also points out the need for American Dancer Magazine to have an editor.

Just publishing whatever is given makes no sense. An editor would have made sure that the news item was at least confirmed. OR at least we could be writing to the editor to find out the details. OR they could have a reporter ask Mr. Pover.

Right now American Dancer has virtually no credibility as a news source...

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It's not like some professor can just call up payroll and say "give this guy a paycheck starting next week" - there's a procedure to enter someone into the organization's system, and if what you allege is true, then someone exceeded their authority by taking actions they were not allowed to take. On the other hand, there are a lot of loopholes in such regulations - the university research position I had a few years back did not require this because it was not full time (the actual reason I got the job was to maintain as a staff member systems that I had designed as a student)

3. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I certainly agree that "American Dancer" has some issues. Further discussion of them is probably fodder for a separate message thread. I would point out, however, the following:

• "American Dancer" has an editor. His name is Shawn Fisher. A discussion of the quality of his work is not appropriate for this thread.
    • "American Dancer" is not an independent source of dance news. It is the official publication of USA Dance. As such, I suspect its primary purpose is to provide USA Dance members with the information that USA Dance officials wish the members to have. I doubt, therefore, that Mr. Fisher has complete editorial latitude with regard to the content of the publication.
    • The "American Dancer" article regarding Ms. Inaba's planned participation in the national competition directly quoted Ken Richards, the vice president of Dancesport for USA dance -- one of the highest officials for this type of information. I see no reason to think that any part of the article did not accurately reflect the information USA Dance was making available at the time. Therefore, I don't see that "confirming" the news item was an issue.
    • The "American Dancer" article implies (probably correctly at the time of its writing) that Ms. Inaba would work side-by-side with other judges who are named in the article ("Inaba joins the line-up of many prominent judges such as Jennifer both..."). The article did not raise the issue of whether USA Dance rules would permit this, but such independent journalism is probably not the role of the official publication of USA Dance.
    • Since the time of the article's writing, USA Dance officials might have clarified and/or changed their plans with regard to Ms. Inaba's participation in the national competition (a recent communication from Mr. Pover to our own "Cantskiforlife" would indicate that such clarification/change is ongoing). Even so, such changes and/or clarification would not make the "American Dancer" article inaccurate, only outdated. Outdated information is to be expected in a bi-monthly magazine such as "American Dancer" because of its production deadlines.
    • Anyone who wishes additional information and/or clarification on the Inaba issue would best contact Mr. Pover (as Cantski did) or Mr. Richards, rather than magazine editor Fisher.
    -IJ

4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I made no mention of Mr. Fisher or his quality of work. What I did mention was that an editor might be appropriate looking over and editing these kinds of announcements; I understand that Mr. Fisher is running a 'house organ'. However, unfortunately, he is making many decisions as to content and some of them are unfortunate. I am sure if you spoke with him he would tell you that he is in charge of EDITING and that includes deciding what goes in and what it reads like and such. I also understand if he might tell you that he was told 'just print it' or 'no copy changes'. But I'll bet you that he did read it, and edit it; I also charge him with making sure what he puts out is real and accurate.

All I am trying to say is what you also said - AmDancer is not a real source of news; but it REALLY IS the voice of the organization; in that case, it needs more thought before the work is published.

5. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I've seen video of a proper UK comp (can't recall which) where Len was on the panel. He was introduced along with the other adjudicators.

6. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

It has been thrown around that having a celeb MC would be nice - however, I'd like to point out that that particular job is just as taxing as judging.

We've all been to competitions where the MC has not been the greatest, the competition took longer, we didn't hear our numbers, the incorrect events were announced, etc. It is important to keep up all aspects of the competition running as smoothly as possibly.

A celebrity "guest" judge who would be more of a symbolic figure rather than a real USA Dance judge, would be a great promotional assessment to the competition :)

7. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

But if she doesn't mark couples then she's not really doing anything, while if she does the organization has destroyed its credibility by violating its own rulebook...

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Interesting note on Wiki that seems relevant:

Dancing with the Stars judge controversy
    No record can be found on any previous ballroom competitions or experience by Inaba, which has led some people to question her credibility for judging Dancing with the Stars, a ballroom dancing competition in the United States.[citation needed]

"She does not understand what ballroom dancing is. She's never done it herself."~Tony Dovolani to People magazine.[citation needed]
    Dovolani's comments stem from Dancing with the Stars' live fifth season performance episode on October 15 2007, in which Inaba criticized several competing pairs, including Tony Dovolani and Jane Seymour his celebrity partner, for performing lifts, which are prohibited per the show's rules.[citation needed] Dovolani told People the moves he and Seymour performed during their waltz routine that week fall into a "gray area" that Inaba knows nothing about.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_Ann_Inaba

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

There is no question that she is not qualified to judge an event such as the USADance comp in question. IMO, further mention is just not productive.
    Correct. An MC is not a judge. To have a celeb MC would be a favorable thing to the org and event.

10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Good point. I would think, however, that, rather than have Ms. Inaba actually serve as an MC, she could appear alongside the "real" MC, who could invite her to make comments between heats about what she's seeing. While such comments might slow the pace of the competition, I would think that would be better than having an unqualified judge ranking couples.

It just occurred to me that we might have some DF readers who have never seen an actual, sanctioned ballroom competition (Jananananana is obviously not such a person). For such readers, it might help to make clear that what judges at a USA Dance competition do is completely different than what judges on "Dancing with the Stars" do. Judges at USA Dance events don't, for example, make verbal comments to competitors or rate them on a scale of 1 to 10. They stand on the side of the floor and rank couples in each heat from best to worst, with their ranking consolidated with those of other judges to determine final rankings.

Returning to Jananananana's comment, this makes it difficult to imagine exactly what role a "symbolic" guest judge would play.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

However, there is a certain skill to emceeing, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that CAI has as much experience emceeing a (real) ballroom competition as she does judging one.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

au contraire - what this means is that her qualifications are not only a fact but also common knowledge and have been raised in public before

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

precisely...and how well one does that role has a significant impact on whether or not the event runs on time:rolleyes:

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Right!!! Great MCs are highly prized commodities. They either make or break a competition. I can count on both hands the amount of MCs I encounter throughout the year, because there are so few of them that handle a competition expertly. Putting an unqualified MC on the podium is just a frightening thought(can you imagine all of the Russian name pronunciations?).

I think an appropriate place for her would be in the corner with a TV camera making running commentary, Ohio Star Ball style.

15. reb

reb Active Member

Larinda's cooking with gas . . . :cheers:

And what a great setup they had for interviews last year - seemed to run continuously - if its anything like that this year, plus a celebrity, it could actually draw an audience on youtube!

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Oh, agreed...100%

17. Imhere

Imhere New Member

She does have the rule book. :-D

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/10/30/tony_dovolani_slams_dancing_s_carrie_ann

18. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I'd even be OK with her delivering critique to the finalists after they danced, as long as it wasn't counted in their results. Actually, that could be very interesting, having people who don't have a vested interest in staying on the show be critiqued by her - I can think of a few who might set her ears back.

19. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Which rule book? USAD, NDCA, FADS, AM?

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

And "has" doesn't mean "has read," let alone "understands," let alone "has passed the appropriate qualifying exams!"