Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Why stop here ?.. lets get rid of ALL the judges, bring in celebs and boost those ratings...:rolleyes:

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As far as I know the IDSF and USA Dance have rules about judges qualifications. Unless Carrie Anne has those, she has no business judging any events at any level. End of story.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

hey at least thats impartial :)

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not that USADance (fka USABDA) has ever made any rules changes that promote something they're interested in doing... :rolleyes:

5. tangotime

Correct..

ALL major bodies have essentially the same rule.. we are required to be registered ,and are accorded recognition for adjudicating positions based upon our Qualif. We are then assigned a card and # that is a permanent record .

In the UK, each Soc. publishes a Yr book with a list of Profs names, ,in respect of their permitted duties i.e Adj, Scrut, etc ( this is an optional inclusion )

One has to be Qualif. at specific levels and Styles, to Judge ,dependant upon the designation of the Comp. ( championships have specific requirements )

The Style Qualis are broken down into 5 divisions .......

2 Intern. ... 2 Amer.... plus T/ Arts ( states side ) the english have a Theatre branch .

6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with what everyone is saying about the importance of having qualified and certified judges. I ALSO think it is important to be gracious and receptive to people who are in the public eye who are taking an interest in our big event.

I'd like to hear some positive and creative ideas about what honorary roles you think this national TV personality could occupy.

7. tangotime

Tell ya what.. when the Golden Globes, Academy Awards start inviting dance luminaries to their events.. will I be " on board ".

We have many worthy candidates in our profession that deserve the " limelite " in that type of capacity .

8. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

You are hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!!

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Tangotime--the problem is giving limelight positions to "our" celebrities...unless their names are Karina, Maks, etc. no one outside dance cares. If the point's to bring media attention to nationals, then LET Carrie Ann be an emcee or a celebrity correspondent or something that will get people who think DWTS is a real competition to watch. She's a bit of a twit but she has name recognition, and she might actually learn something if paired with a real expert (not that Len's rubbed off on her, but one can hope.)

However, if they let her actually judge ANYTHING other than a joke/fun event, then I demand that I and a random selection of posters from the Chronicle of the Horse forums be immediately designated "O" judges and placed on the dressage panel for the next Olympics. (Of course given the last results for Olympic dressage, that might actually mean legitimate fair judging for a change, but still.)

10. tangotime

Thats the whole point .. WE should !! heres a couple anames for openers...

Frankie Manning and Lyndon Wainwright

11. Imhere

Imhere New Member

Can't they use Karina, Tony, Maks for that? IMO, they're more popular.

12. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I think its a great idea to involve a dwts celebrity with nationals. But I also agree with the comments that it would be inappropriate for her to be a judge. Seems like the best position would be as a guest MC. That would maximize her impact -- more so than as a judge where she'd just be standing on the side of the floor.

13. jivechica

jivechica Member

All I remember is one DWTS episode when a couple did the quickstep and Carrie Ann said that she didn't like it (or thought it wasn't executed well) because they were sliding around. Somebody then quickly pointed out that that is what you do in quickstep after which she quickly changed her statement...enough said :)

14. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Part of the problem here is that while the "American Dancer" article indicates that Ms. Inaba will serve as a "judge," it gives no details about what she'll be doing during the national competition (probably because author Erica Colvin was not provided such information in time for her deadline).

The 2009 edition of the USA Dance rules require that all judges at the national championship competition shall be "national certified" adjudicators, even for the syllabus events (rule 5.5.5).

The rules further state (2.1.10.1 and 2.1.10.2) that in order to be a national certified adjudicator, a person must be certified at the "Member Degree, or above" in both international styles and both American styles (standard, Latin, smooth and rhythm).

The rulebook is silent as to the requirements one must meet to reach the "Member Degree" or how one applies to become certified.

The way I see it, here are some possibilities:

• Despite the lack of published information that would so indicate, Ms. Inaba does, in fact, meet the requirements of the Member Degree and either holds or has applied for national certification.
    • Ms. Inaba does not meet the requirements for national certification, will not meet them in time for the competition and USA Dance will bend its rules to either certifiy her and/or allow her be serve, uncertified, as a full member of a judging panel for the sake of publicity.
    • Ms. Inaba does not meet the requirements for national certification, will not meet them in time for the competition and USA Dance will use her as an "honorary" judge whose work will not affect the placements of any competitors.
    Clearly, by raising questions about Ms. Inaba's qualifications and exactly how she will be used but not answering such questions, USA Dance has not communicated as well as it could have. (Optionally insert your choice of snide comment here.)

Lacking any information from USA Dance beyond what appears in the latest issue of "American Dancer," it would seem the only thing one can do to learn USA Dance's true intentions would be to contact DancesSport VP Ken Richards directly. His email address appears in the magazine.

One thing I notice about Ms. Colvin's article is that its tone implies that she naively believes her readers will be so thrilled that Ms. Inaba will appear at the national competition that they won't wonder about her qualifications or how they stack up against USA Dance rules. Ms. Colvin (and her editors) would do well to remember that many (if not most) of American Dancer's readers probably have considerable experience and knowledge regarding USA Dance competitions.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Is there some kind of non-championship demonstration event planned? I could see her being a judge for that.

16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

If that's the whole story, it would seem to preclude using a world-class judge from overseas for standard or latin, as they presumably would lack certification in smooth and rhythm? It may also prove a problem for utilizing many currently competing professionals as judges upon their retirement - if someone has focused on standard or latin for the last twenty years, are they going to go out and get certification in three other styles just to judge? One extra style I could imagine, but 3? Though for those resident in the US, there's enough work judging pro/am comps that it may well be worthwhile to do all four.

17. Indiana_Jay

This might be a case in which the rules used an "and" when the intention was "or." Here's the entire 2.1.10 section:

2.1.10 OFFICIALS, to include: adjudicators, chair of judges, scrutineer, music director (DJ) and master of ceremonies (emcee), eligible to serve at USA Dance Sanctioned Events must be members of USA Dance.

2.1.10.1 ADJUDICATORS are further classified based on the type and level of credentials achieved. Credentials are obtained through certification from a member organization of the WDC, IPDSC or the IDSF of which they maintain their membership in good standing. Credentials of adjudicators are recognized against the following grading system:
    A- Associate Degree in International Style Standard.
    A+ Member Degree, or above, in International Style Standard.
    B- Associate Degree in International Style Latin-American.
    B+ Member Degree, or above, in International Style Latin-American.
    C- Associate Degree in American Style Smooth
    C+ Member Degree, or above, in American Style Smooth
    D- Associate Degree in American Style Rhythm
    D+ Member Degree, or above, in American Style Rhythm
    E- Associate Degree in Theater Arts
    E+ Member Degree, or above, in Theater Arts

2.1.10.2 Adjudicators with specific credentials are further classified as:
    a. Competition Certified Adjudicator: certified at the "-" level in a given style of dance.
    b. Championship Certified Adjudicator: certified at the "+" level in a given style of dance.
    c. National Certified Adjudicator: certified at the A+, B+, C+ and D+ classifications.
    d. National Theater Arts Adjudicators: certified at the E+ level.

Note in 2.1.10.2(c) the use of the word "and," which implies an adjudicator must be certified in all four styles. It's possible the intent was "or," which would allow certification in a single style. In that case, however, an additional rule would probably be required that would limit adjudicators to judging events in which they're certified (e.g. a judge certified in Latin may only judge Latin events), but I find no such rule.

18. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

well i mean, she was Fook Yu in Austin Powers: Goldmember. so there's that.

19. Indiana_Jay

I agree, but I find no indication of such an event on the competition's web stie.

20. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

We must remember where the 'news' came from... American Dancer is so far from 'current' and so far from the reality of our 'mileau' that it might have just been a pipe dream. And yes, I suppose they did think that the social dancer crowd at USA Dance would be thrilled to have such a 'celebrity' dancer there - and not realize how insulting it is to have a non-qualified person in the lineup.