Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I would guess that most social dancers involved enough to have joined USA Dance can tell the difference between ballroom dancing and DWTS...
  2. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Social Dancer here... my gut says having Carrie Ann as a judge is a bad idea... Having her host something or maybe to a commercial spot for it wouldn't be as terrible an idea though. It would sell tickets...
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I disagree. I teach many social dancers and they are riveted by the dancing on DWTS; they also look to it as the 'standard' as to what dance looks like. It's a shame that they think that tango (for instance) looks like it does on a show where folks with no dance experience get a 'crash course' in a theatre-arts-ish dance... and the 'contest' is fun and humorous, but let me say that the folks watching do NOT see that it pales besides real dance.

It's nice to see the publicity and it's very smart of the USA Dance promo people to include DWTS in the Nationals - it'll be great for the Amateurs (and the pros as well), but let's be real here - and let's hope that USA Dance figures out a way for this to work for us, and not have OUR dance dreams scuttled in favor of a spot on Entertainment Tonight.
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yes Bailamosdance, but remember he didn't just say social dancers, he said social dancers who've joined USA Dance. Heck, I know a lot of competitive dancers who aren't members of usadance, can probalby count the number of social dancers I know whoa re members on one hand.

I'd be happy to see her there, and the publicity it brings, but I agree with statement that she should not be a real judge.
  5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Speaking as a social dancer that knows a lot of social dancers, I can say the social dancer crowd wouldn't be anymore thrilled to have her judging. I know non-dancers that watch DWTS that think she's not qualified to judge on there.
  6. Bella

Bella New Member

lol.
  7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Let's try to avoid less than favorable generalizations about social dancers and stay on topic. :)
    Agreed. :)
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The point isn't to impress/draw in US (in the sense of dancers--I'm not a USA Dance member), the point is to grab the attention of people who maybe catch DWTS but have never watched a real comp, or the people who like what PBS runs but have no idea what else is out there or where to see it. If you bring in Carrie Anne as an emcee and cover it on Entertainment Tonight, these people actually hear of it. They find out when it's being broadcast. They watch. I'd prefer it be anyone connected with dance "reality" shows OTHER than Miss Liftgate 2008, but if it gets attention for dance other than "hey, anyone can do it!" it's a start.
  9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I see the value of having a star there, but why not have her judge a special event?
    If she is not certified, that is especially an issue, as this requirement for judges was created for a good reason.
  10. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

I agree that she is not qualified under our current rules to judge our Nationals. I do not believe she should be judging the World Representative events or the Syllabus events. However, she does know dance and movement extremely well so-ooo... she is the PERFECT person to judge a "Grand Champion" event. Since she is an experienced dancer and choreographer, she can compare apples and oranges or, in this case, Standard, Latin, Smooth, and Rhythm.

I propose that the Nationals have a "Grand Champion" competition on Sunday night between the winners of the four Champ adult styles and have Carrie Ann judge it.

Lastly, keep in mind that the judge's opinions on DWTS are not always theirs. The producers have a tremendous amount of control over the results AND what the judges say.
  11. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Thought about that too as it solves the "problem" but practically speaking I don't know if all four contestants would necessarily still be in town, especially if they don't know if they'd be in it. Latin is Friday, and Smooth and Standard (which has new vacancies at the top) are Saturday.

Of course if the winners would then get to perform as guests on DWTS... then they'd probably stick around.
  12. BM

BM New Member

Agreed that her participation at Nationals could be great for PR. I don't know how realistic the Grand Champion comp is, but it does sound like a cool idea (reminiscent of America's Ballroom Challenge, no?). I think the emcee idea (especially pairing her with a veteran) is much more feasible.
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

Now there's an idea!!
  14. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Perhaps I've missed the answer to this question as I skimmed this thread but why is there this sudden and urgent need to bring publicity to the Nationals event? Will it be televised and therefore need mainstream attention? If it isn't being televised and it's just the usual format then it seems that all the efforts of bringing in a TV celeb just might be like preaching to the choir. I think I may be missing the larger point. Or not...
  15. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I agree that using Ms. Inaba to increase general public awareness of the event has limited value if access to the event remains limited to those who attend. Perhaps USA Dance hopes that, hearing that she'll be there, more spectators will show up at the competition (and buy tickets) for a chance to glimpse her in person.

It's also possible that a show like Entertainment Tonight might cover her appearance. If that happens, it could increase national name recognition for USA Dance (always a PR person's goal) and viewers of that program might become aware, for the first time, of the event, which could have some benefit in the future (like more "civilian" spectators showing up at the following year's event). That value, however, would seem to be limited.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How do they do that?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the usual ballroom judging business has no capacity for giving a vocal opinion, which is the reason she's a celebrity. If Carrie Ann judges something in the usual ballroom fashion, she'll just be standing there next to the floor with a number of other people who are likewise saying nothing aloud (other than muttering how much their feet hurt from standing all day). I'm sure that's not the intent of whomever at USADance invited her to the event. She'd have more impact sitting outside and chatting with the Comcast crew and signing autographs.

BTW, I'm glad someone edited the thread title.
  17. Merrylegs

Living in Boston I read the previous title as a phonetic spelling of a word. Inabla = Enabler.

Gotta love the Boston accent!
  18. Merrylegs

On another note- As a long time ballroom dancer even I do not know where Nationals is taking place this year. And next year, who knows? Granted I'm on yet another hiatus so I stopped paying attention. Do you think "civilians" would jump on the traveling Carrie bandwagon?

I mean no disrespect to Ms. Inaba of course but this all seems so silly to me.

19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Baltimore, 2009--in case that was actually a question!

I agree that you probably pick up approximately zero people flying in from far off to see Carrie Ann. (And if you do, they would probably be weird, stalkerish people that we could do without.)

Here's what you do pick up, potentially: people who live in the metropolitan area who read about the event in the weekend section of the paper.

I live in the Baltimore area, and when the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore advertises Breakfast with the Giraffes, some people will come in from D.C. and Virginia even though presumably the D.C. zoo is closer. Reason: it gets a mention in "The Baltimore Sun" and "The Washington Post."

A recognizable name or a splashy event draws people. I think this is why they sometimes let DWTS people have the lead in Broadway shows right after their tv run. (For example, Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin got to be in "Chicago.") I think this is also why celebrities can almost always get children's books and cookbooks published, even if the celebrity's fame has nothing to do with children or cooking.

It's a theory.

Anecdotal evidence that at least some names can draw people in: the people sitting next to me at Ohio Star Ball during a pro-am session told me that they were not dancers and did not know anyone competing; they came to check out the hot guys from DWTS. This woman and her Mom had seen/taken pictures of or with Maksim Chmerkovskiy, and were more than a little disappointed that Tony Dovolani wasn't there this year. They had come the year before too. (We got to chatting because she asked to borrow my program, to plan her hot guy tracking strategy.)
  20. newbie

newbie Active Member

Who is she?