Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I can see this happening and I think it's pretty funny. I have this vision in my head of two women screaming their heads off everytime a dancer goes past them. :raisebro:

Still, competing and judging are two very different things.

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

There you go. If Carrie Ann Inaba is excited about participating, she can gather the requisite points (or whatever it is to qualify) and she can COMPETE at Nationals. She may even learn a little bit for DWTS.

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, Maks was judging at OSB this year, so basically they did get to see people from DWTS standing around unless they got tickets for Saturday!

There were a girl and her mother standing near me during the Dancesport Series finals who were from Columbus and had just come to watch dancing because they liked DWTS. They weren't looking to celeb-stalk per se, and they had NO idea what they'd gotten into by coming on Thursday night (we drafted them into cheering for Region One) but that was why they'd been aware of dancesport and decided to come take a look. We were explaining how pro-am works, how many different oppertunities there are to get into dance, all the sorts of competitions you can do...

If you want new participants and you want people to come spectate, first you raise awareness. TV, names, celebs holding mics and talking into a camera, if it gets people to look, it's useful. (I'd caution against what skating did to its detriment in the 1990s, with overblown, overplayed, made-for-tv non-competition "cheesefests" with judges who dont' know what they're doing that did more to humiliate the post-Olympic pros than anything, but, well...)

By all means, bring Carrie Ann and a camera crew, but don't let her judge anything that counts. I think Chris Stratton had an idea there with the "grand champion" competition (rather reminiscent of OSB's pro comp and PBS) with the prize being a guest shot on DWTS. Hey, at least we might get a results show that actually had ballroom dancers on it for a switch...

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Well Turtle posted the base idea. The DTWS performance opportunity was trying to figure out how to get people to stick around until Sunday to dance in it.

I don't think the "actually had ballroom dancers on it" comment is quite fair - they have been inviting real professional and youth couples as guests quite a bit, haven't they?

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

But they slowed down the past couple seasons, instead having this Macy's "Stars" of Dance and increasing the filler (because I know the viewing public is soooooo much more interested in the numerology of the celebs than actually seeing real ballroom dancers dance with real ballroom dancers.)

6. Imhere

Imhere New Member

Exactly!
    Tony and Maks are able to make local news with their participations. Here’s one example and another. Why not use them more often? CAI is really not that popular and certainly not qualified.

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I completely agree with the idea of raising awareness for its own sake. Doing so is valuable.

And I agree that the presence of celebrities at an event makes raising awareness easier.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if people who are local to the Baltimore event come to see what's going on for the sole reason that they hear Ms. Inaba will be there. And there's nothing at all wrong with that! In increases ticket sales and exposes more people to what amateur dancesport is all about. Worthy goals, both.

And if Ms. Inaba's visit gets any national coverage (e.g. "Entertainment Tonight,") such coverage will at least help make more members of the national general public aware that competitions like the USA Dance nationals exist. That's a good thing.

None of this, however, is worth allowing a person who lacks required credentials to affect the scores of competitors in syllabus, novice, pre-champ or chapmionship events. Let's hope USA Dance finds another way to include Ms. Inaba.

And BTW, if USA Dance believes that more dancesport athetes will enter the competition becuase they've billed Ms. Inaba as a judge (which is admittedly pure conjecture on my part), the organization might learn the hard way that the opposite is true!

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

It's hard for me to believe that she'd want to be a judge--stand for a long time on the edge of a floor along with several others and silently make marks on a piece of paper that remain anonymous (until perhaps the marks are posted, if they are). What's the upside for her?

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

credibility?

10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

(snicker)

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Flamenco, Lord of the Dance, etc? I don't even bother watching the results show any more. I'm not interested in watching the little kids. Can we PLEASE bring in some top pros? Or even "Burn the Floor" at this point if we have to tie it into a touring company of something?

12. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

wow...lol...great job!!!

13. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I do not see how this is possible, unless she has the proper documentation to be a judge that will send couples to an IDSF event.

14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I love the kids, and I think anything that encourages kids to do ballroom is great. Don't love the judges comments on their routines or the Samantha interviews, though...sometimes feels a bit condescending/teasing.

I often enjoy seeing other forms of dance, but agree that the relevance to THIS show is a little questionable, which makes me wonder if a ballroom dance show is a good venue for showcasing dance in general. Furthermore, a lot of the acts haven't been impressive. (And don't even get me started on some of the musical acts!)

If they want to go this route, I think of all the companies they could bring in: Alvin Ailey, Pilobolus, Mark Morris, Garth Fagan, Sankai Juku, etc.

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It simply becomes a question if USA Dance officials feel obligated to follow their own rulebook, or not.

16. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

If she takes the floor as an actual judge at Nationals, I'll boo her.(as well as booing the people that put her there)

17. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

We should give the lay public more credit. Admittedly it's a sample size of 1, but my office mate has suffered with my break time being consumed with occasional peeks at *real* professional ballroom dancing videos. He has commented more than once on what a difference there is between that and the pale versions of partner dancing proffered on DwtS.

People just don't have enough of a basis for comparison available in the mass media.

18. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Dancers train too hard for the Nationals. I cant imagine this happening in any European National event. To put a judge that is not qualified to judge this event is disrespect to dancesport dancers. Its like making publicity a top priority, instead of the art/sport of dance. She can be there to support and sit on podium, but not as a judge on that floor. One thing I dont miss is this fiasco that sometimes we see in this business.

19. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

This is all with the best of intentions. The top competitors will hopefully stand out above the rest. Carrie Ann may not recognize the specific technical proficiencies of some...but the really good should be apparent.

20. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

But in the finals, the top competitors will all be very good. That's when the skill to differentiate among them is most important.