Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It always comes back to the short jokes.... ;)
  2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

righton!
    (sorry etp.. but we behemoths are dangerous...)
  3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I know, like, and respect Peter very much, but this is a typical "we really don't care to talk about it, but will politically reply to your letter" response.
  4. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I think you mean rules apply to OTHER people.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

l.o.l.....
  7. fascination

seems like it...but in a way I empathize...leadership is difficult...sometimes that person is in a vantage point to see and/or know and weigh things about which not everyone else can or should be aware...and has to do their best but can't neccessarily explain...it happens...it may not be what is going on here but ...it might...I DO empathize with the issues folks have with this though
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, my confidence is rarely inspired by very corporate-sounding non-answers like the one cantski got. It really does sound like "that's exactly what we planned to do, it's not going as we thought, we're trying to salvage this, we'll get back to you."
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I didn't read it that way. I thought what he meant was that 'we are reviewing our plans and seeing if we can honour her invitation without offending our members'.

Think about it, if they are changing their plans what else could he write?
  10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Ehh, leadership does stink, but it's part of the job. And keeping the "little people":) in the loop allows a good leader to be better. Blowing them off is a sign that they're screwing up and trying to cover their behind.
  11. fascination

now wooh...I never said leadership sucked ;)...and he didn't totally blow cantski off...being diplomatic and cautious when neccessary may feel that way, but things aren't always as they seem...as a "lttle person" in most aspects of my life I would rather know that my views were being considered without feeling "in the loop"...than feel in the loop but ultimately have my views count for nothing...but certainly it is wise to respect the people one serves and to be as forthcoming as possible...I am just not always certain that "as forthcoming as possible" is always going to be agreed upon....as I said, in general I appreciate the sentiments of others on this thread...
  12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What's specifically worrisome, and unfortunately a bit of a pattern that has happened before, is that the reply seems to ignore the simple fact that there's a rule that prohibits what they want to do. By ignoring the rule in their response, they manipulate the subject to make it look like a judgment call that is being weighed. But it is not a judgment call, the applicable rule is right there for all of us to see.

Carrie Ann Inaba is not eligible to judge any of the official events at nationals, period.
  13. fascination

yes...that is a problem...THE problem
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm am so interested to see how this will all play out. I can only hope that this will be resolved in a manner that will respect the current rules and policies of the organization, and therefore show respect for the sport of competitive dancing and for the competitors themselves. Otherwise, USA Dance is undermining itself as a governing body of sport, which in turn undermines the concept of dancesport as a sport.
  15. fascination

agree...and hopefully these inquires by people will bring the full impact to light
  16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

And respect for those eligible to judge. I find it disrespectful to those who have dedicated themselves to ballroom.
    CAI "volunteered" so graciously. We have to let her judge! Well I volunteer to judge as well! Let me judge!
  17. fascination

also a good point
  18. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

How about having Inaba judge the regional team match on Sunday night, which is not an "official" dancesport event?
  19. fascination

thye obviously feel there is some merit to considering a role for her...hopefully, they will construct a scenario that does more good than harm
  20. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I am going to try to say this in a way that is not offensive. As I've said before...I think the leadership of USADance is well meaning. And Peter Pover says he doesn’t read these forums, so I guess I will not offend him.

The amateur dancers I know are working hard because (among other things) they want to be world-class dancers. As I follow the results from the UK Open, I see that the US has pretty spotty representation in the amateur field. Looking primarily at Standard, there are lots of great Pro couples from the US but scant representation in amateur. Actually there aren’t any US couples that made it out of the first round in Rising Star Standard!

So..what does USA Dance have to offer the amateurs in this country who are working to be at a world-class level???? A big PR push that Carrie Ann will be judging at Nationals! Oh boy…that's helpful. But I don't see much (other than the seminars??) that USA Dance is offering that is really going to help amateurs move up in the world ranks. But...maybe I am expecting too much.

I am no expert. But that is what I expect USA Dance to be…the experts.