Cha Cha Music Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I play a few Latin tunes a night at one regular gig, and I'm always looking for a wider selection.

I'm looking specificaly for what you may call Cha Cha music, the slightly slower rhythms. Keeping the mood upbeat is key and is what I'd like some suggestions on -- high energy while playing the typically slower Cha Cha rhythms.

I love Latin music, especially the large group musicians, one of my favorites being the well-known Mongo Santamaria. I personally don't enjoy Latin Pop, the electronic house sound is not to my taste (although it may be to yours).

I appreciate any suggestions, I'm always glad to have another CD to be able to use at any needed time. ;)

-FF
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Ola Chica - Chico Fernandez
    Ou Est Passee Ma Boheme - Julio Iglesias
    Y Bailo - Donato & Estefano

These are good tunes for cha-cha.
  3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

As much as I love to WCS to "slower" music, a slow cha cha just kills me. I almost go to sleep when my Pro says "let's warm up (for our routine) with a slow cha cha." My muscle memory for this dance is in a "fast twitch" mode. I suffer, but do it. I should practice slower more often, as I usually catch slower songs in competition! But I've had fast too.

REMEMBER: THIS IS ONE PERSON'S OPINION! NO ATTACKS PLEASE!

A cha cha to me is "an action" dance, and I get get and give action to faster cha cha music.

My wife is really into Marc Anthony, and I practice almost daily to "I Need To Know" and "Tragedy."

I'll have to listen to some of the ones suggested here . . .
  4. Spitfire

I can understand that; I prefer the more up tempo myself, but will dance to any cha-cha.

Another good tune - "Someday" by Sugar Ray.
  5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Spitfire,
    I agree, I will cha to just about anything . . .

"Someday" is one of my wife's favorite - a great cha cha!
  6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hella good-No doubt is a really good song and so is Lady marmalade-christina aguilera, mya, missy, lil kim, pink is fun!
  7. Spitfire

And so is "The Game of Love" by Santana/Michelle Branch.
  8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

oOo good one! :D
  9. Spitfire

Michelle Branch is a Flagstaff girl.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree on the preference, that's why I'm always on the lookout for Cha Cha music that won't make me (and the whole room I'm spinning for) sleepy :|

-FF
  11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

funkyfreak,

You hit the "nail on the head." Not only does it put the "whole room to sleep," I also start heading that way . . . in the middle of the dance!

Heard another good song at lunch . . . can't put my finger on the artist though . . . "Follow Me" (Everything is alright) . . . good for WCS as well!

VA
  12. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I believe the song is "follow me" by artist Uncle Kracker :wink:
  13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Spanish Harlem Orchestra - "Pa'Gozar" is easily my favorite right now.
  14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I don't know who sings it but one of my fave songs to practice cha cha to (because it is slow) is a song that's chorus goes "cha....cha....cha" haha, like that helps right? Anyone know what I'm talking about?? :?
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is not nightclub/DJ music, but I just heard a great slow cha cha, by a West African artist -- Ismaila Oussou, called Mandaly. Perfect tempo for teaching or practice. :D
  16. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I picked up an album by Julio Iglesias with a song called "Una Donna Puo Cambiar La Vita," what a great Cha-Cha tune! It feels fast to me (I'm not very experienced though)...but it is a bit short at around 3 minutes or so.
  17. Spitfire

Ou Est Passee Ma Boheme - Another Julio Iglesias song that is good for Cha Cha.
  18. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

A couple cool tunes to Cha-Cha to:

The Sinister Minister - Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

Twilight World - Swing Out Sister
  19. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

My favorite Cha Cha Tunes

Here are my favorite pop-music Cha Cha tunes. I prefer them fast and frisky, which I think best reflects the cheeky nature of the dance.

1. I Like it Like That by the Blackout Allstarts (very fast: 34bpm)

2. Get the Party Started by Pink (32bpm)

3. Dance With Me by Debelah Morgan (29bpm)

4. In These Shoes? by Kirsty MacColl. What a shame about this great singer being killed in a boating accident, she had so much potential for the dancing community. The words to this song are a joy. (31bpm)

5. Let's Get Loud by Jennifer Lopez (33bpm)

6. Escape by Enrique Iglesias (32bpm)

7. Tragedy by... who sings this? I just have the DanceLife strict tempo version. (29bpm)

8. Walkin' on the Sun by Smash Mouth (31bpm)

9. Sexi Dance by Paulina Rubio (31bpm)

10. All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow (32bpm)
  20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: My favorite Cha Cha Tunes

This used to be Janelle's and my favorite song to practice our salsa routines too! The speed was just a bonus -- we could go that fast if needed and could just use all the extra time in regular tempo songs...