Cha-Cha; Standard and C&W.

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Spitfire, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Whenever I've been to a dance where people were doing cha-cha to country and western music it's mostly been the standard variety, but there is a C&W version where the sweetheart is used as the starting
    position and the prep step is not used or so it was in a class I was in at a local C&W venue about 7 years ago.

Generally speaking, in C&W is this more common or is the standard version more widely used?
  2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm sure there is someone out there that uses such a starter step . . . but if so, I'e never seen them. I've competed in C&W Cha Cha, and I have never used it as you describe, and "yes," I do prep steps, leading as much as possible from the ribs . . . it works for me . . . not saying this is "right" for others!

I've been to non-C&W venues and the Cha Cha that I do is exactly like everyone else's . . . the basic versions of it at least!
  3. Spitfire

And I always use the standard Cha-Cha myself to C&W. I don't think I've met any serious C&W dancers who are not familiar with Cha-Cha.

In the class I was referring to a very neat move was taught, but don't recall what it was.
  4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Almost everyone that I know uses the standard for C&W . . . many ARE ballroom dancers . . .
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm not sure what standard cha cha is, guys. Do you mean breaking on two, rather than on one (Meaning placing the cha cha cha on 4-and-one?) Please explain.

In the meanwhile, here's my observation with C&W cha cha versus ballroom cha cha. The cha cha I've done at nightclubs is pretty much the same, whether it's in C&W bars, pop type clubs, or salsa clubs -- relatively informal, understated arm styling, with it being anybody's guess whether the lead is going to break on one or two.

Ballroom cha cha is a lot more formal, requires much more articulation of movement, and breaks on two (except for brand new students, who are sometimes allowed to break on one, by way of training).
  6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I've been to one country competition (Frezno), and most of the cha cha looked like ballroom cha cha in cowboy duds! When I watch it at the country dances at the studio, they seem to use a lot of the same steps...maybe a bit more kicks and hat tipping. :)
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I've heard this from others, as well, twnkltoz -- that C&W dancing is getting closer and closer to ballroom, particularly in the competition circuit.
  8. Spitfire

And the only time I ever saw this C&W variation that I describe was at this class that I mentioned at the beginning. Kick steps were mentioned; one of the ladies who is often at the USABDA dances and is one of the officers for the local chapter is into C&W and she uses these anytime I've danced Cha-Cha with her. Pretty cool the way she does them.
  9. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Since I am working on this right now :) CW Cha is a mix of International Cha Cha and American Cha Cha. From what I understand in Ballroom these two are kept very distinct. In CW we decided to mix them together apparently. At least that's what I understand. So there are things that get mixed together that might not on the ballroom circuit. This is just what I understand :)
  10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the few times i've been to a particular c/w venue, i've seen something that was referred to by the dj as a cowboy cha-cha that basically looked like a line dance except the moves were performed as couples. i'm not sure but i think that they started in a sweetheart position. at this particular venue this version was much more popular. on the upper floor there wouldn't be more than 3-4 couple doing the regular chacha while the lower floor would have at least 30 couples doing the cowboy chacha.
  11. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

CW has lots of "flow" or "pattern partner" dances. This would be things such as Cowboy Cha Cha or Colorado Cha Cha.

We also do more of a standard "ballroom" cha cha which is what I was referring to when I discussed mixing the International and American styles together in CW.
  12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

AnnieMarie,
    I think I' have mentioned this to you before, that if you are competing in any UCWDC venues, the directors have said that their rules - for competition - is getting closer and closer to ballroom. In fact, much of the music no longer has to be strictly C&W.

All the Cha Cha I've done in competition has been "standard ballroom" cha cha . . .

Hat tipping, as twnkltoz mentioned, is usually done in the line dances - Cowby Cha Cha, etc - I don't think I've ever seen it in competition.