Charleston dance instruction???

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Furuidan, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm also new to dancing. I have a problem, I live in Charleston SC! There are absolutely no hip hop dance schools anywhere! What should I do? I'm only 15 so I can't move or anything. I pretty much just put on a song in my room, and dance to it. My dancing looks pretty stupid but its all i can do. Anyone have some advice? I am very serious about getting into dancing.

Thanks! 8)

2. will35

will35 New Member

Have you tried a place called Trudy's School of Dance?

3. MNswing

MNswing New Member

I know a friend out in CA (Mat) that teaches swing of all kinds and he is starting swing lessons ONLINE - you can go to his website and get some more information from him if you email him. He's a really really great dancer and knows a LOT about the history, different styles, and different techniques. The classes are online and you can download and save them to your computer so you can take the "classes" as many times as you want! It's a great deal... and believe me... if he wasn't good, I wouldn't recommend it. Here's his website - feel free to look around!!!

www.highdesertswing.com

It's a great way to practice and get comfortable with the dance in the comfort of your own home!

4. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

WOW! Thanks! that was fast. I will check that out

oh by the way, yes I have checked out Trudys, it seems like an all girl school lol

do you guys know of any more online dancing lesson thingies?

5. MNswing

MNswing New Member

I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question as well... we were thinking my friend's idea is pretty much revolutionary... there are a lot of clips and videos available, but not classified as lessons and not at all the same. So yeah, anyone have an answer to that?

6. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

I have been checking out www.pfunkonline.com and i emailed them asking what i should get as a beginner. i haven't gotten the response yet, i only emailed it this morning. i really want to become a dance choreographer, and i heard that starting so late like me is pretty pointless, actually... i heard starting almost any kind of sport at this age is too late. what do you think about this? plus, there are like millions of dancers out there, how would i get out on top. I actually want to move to Japan to be a dance choreographer. I just love Japan, and im learning to speak japanese.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Furuidan!! :)

A couple suggestions:

1. You can look at www.ballroomdancers.com Choose learn anew dance step from the pulldown menu. They have basic steps for quite a few dances and even American vs International style. The good thing about this is that you can use the slider in the media viewr to slow it down and get the moves broken down.

2. www.dancevision.com and specifically to http://dancevision.com/store/videos/dancevision_tv_video_clips/
    Here are free video clips which again you can use the slider to get moves broken down even further. I recollect some of the clips are great for beginners, particularly one waltz clip where the basic step is broken down beautifully.

3. www.bustamove.com
    There are two options here. You can view free demonstrations of salsa, swing (ECS, WCS), hip hop, electric slide, and do "the slider in the media player thing" to learn/ There also is an option to pay for lessons where the moves are broken down step by step. I haven't tried that out, so I cannot attest to how good/bad it is. But it is a posibility, so MnSwing your friend is not the first person to do this.

4. http://www.salsa-merengue.co.uk/
    Really good site to learn latin motion, merengue. Free.

This should help you out get started. A little web searching can get you a lot on the web. :)

8. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

Thanks Sagitta! I will check those out too.

9. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

I have always heard things like, "oh you are too old to do this". Well, I heard also that I'm too "old" to have a career as a dance choreographer. This is something I really want. I started karate when i was 6, and I am very coordinated and all that and know that the earlier you start, the better. I don't want to get into something knowing that im not going to get anywhere. would videos be good enough to become pro or what should i do? I was trying to find a way to either move in with my brother in L.A or move to an apartment nearby him. but since I'm so young, i doubt i would be able to do it.

10. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

DO WHAT?! Ok props to you for having a GOAL at age 15. Geez at 15 I was getting ready to graduate High School and didn't have a clue as to what I wanted to be "when I grew up".

As for starting too late... That is completely BOGUS. Especially if you want to be a choreographer. And yes there are millions of dancers out there, but there is only one YOU. Be the best YOU you can be - do your best and work hard. There are no guarantees in life, but the harder you work at your goals, the greater your chance of success.

As for going to an "all girls school"... Most dance schools are geared towards girls since there is a cultural biaas here in America about guys dancing (in general). Take as many classes as you can in as many styles as you can. The more you know, the better you will be as a choreographer. Even if all you want to do is Hip Hop, take ballet, jazz, funk, latin, bellydance, whatever. All dance is interconnected in some way. The larger vocabulary you have, the more you can say - know what I mean?

As for going to Japan... Here's my suggestion. Get your training here. even if you stat now, it doesen't mean you don't have a shot. Go to college if you can and take dance classes there. Audition for places like Universal Tokyo/Disney World Japan. that's the quickest way to get there. 8) Take singing lessons - most dancers at theme parks need that skill. While you are working and making money at the theme park, start with music you love and choreograph to it. Get a buddy to tape your choreography so you don't forget what you've done. Enter constests, etc. Audition for cruise ships, etc. The more you have on your resume, the better off you are.

Here's the deal - hardly anyone knows the names of Britney's back up dancers... But without them, she would not have the "show" that she has. You don't need a huge "name" to be successful. In fact, it's better to work all the time and be not-so-well-known, than to have a huge name but only work nce or twice a year.

Keep your eye on your goal! And don't ever give up no matter what happens.

11. DancingMommy

LA is over-rated. There are a million young hopefuls there. Just hone your skills and try one of my earlier suggestions... :wink:

You have plenty of time to decide *where* you need to be. Wait until you are out of high school before you think about moving. Trust me! been there, done that.......

12. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

thanks DancingMommy, now I have a lot more confidence in what I'm doing. Do you guys/girls know of any good music videos to learn some moves off of? I have learned a lot from Justin Timberlakes "Rock your body". I am trying "like I love you", but do you know of more? thanks

13. DancingMommy

Hip hop "ain't my bag, baby", but if you are into some "vintage" stuff, check out Madonna's videos circa 1990. The Blonde Amibition tour had some good moves... The "Express Yourself" video is a personal fave....

Also, check out James Brown - he's the Godfather of Soul and although it's dated, some of his stuff has served as inpsiration for a lot of greats in the industry.

14. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

oh yeah, here is a pretty good place you might wanna check out...

www.bwydance.com

there are ballet, jazz, and hip hop videos there. they look pretty good. i like the third clip for the hip hop video, i memorized the choreography for the first part, and kinda go along with the second.

15. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

I'm going to join a gymnastics school very soon, probably this month. It will be a good thing to have under my belt (ironically i dont wear a belt :) ) . I have seen some pretty awesome routines with flips.

16. KevinL

KevinL New Member

And being the only guy at a dance school is bad because...

17. Furuidan

Furuidan New Member

because they are all like 5 year olds