Cheap costume ideas

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Nov 19, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

When you're out searching for costume ideas, if you want smooth ballroom gowns, you're pretty much stuck spending a pile of cash. For anything else, i.e. C&W, showcases, Latin costumes, college performance teams, I suspect there are some inventive wasy to get around spending too much.

Can anyone share ideas of ways to assemble costumes without spending a lot?

Note: If you have a costume service or website you're promoting, please post in the ads or websites forum. Thanks. :D

I'll start: coordinating T-shirts. You can buy them in many colors from the local craft store for about $5 each.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Black. It seems everyone has something black. All the ladies have black dresses, and most gents that I know have black slacks/jeans.

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

There are so many blacks! either based in green, blue, or red... I've worked on shows where everyone brings their own blacks... it gets the point across but it's far from uniform. In puppetry we deal a LOT with wearing black so the topic sorta makes me jump because it's not so simple.

I see and value your point and I'm sure in many instances it would be just fine... not to mention every onle would also have different styles or cuts of clothes and so the sense of strict uniformity is clearly not the objective which is great. :D

4. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

For bellydance: a t-shirt ($5) tied up in a knot in the front to expose the belly area and a pair of leggings ($5-10) with a shawl ($10-15) wrapped around the waist for a hip scarf.

For jazz/tap/modern/hip hop: a tank top ($5) with leggings or form fitting pajama/sweat pants ($5-10).

Another option...try local consignment shops. A lot of time, especially close to Halloween, the shops will bring out their "special" costume clothes. You can piece together for a variety of dancing outfits at really reasonable prices.

I also search just before and after Halloween and local retailers and costume shops for sales...I have found numerous belly dance costume accessories very inexpensive during the sales.

If you're looking to buy a costume, new, no making involved, try a few of the costume sites listed on my website. I tried to have a variety of costume styles and price ranges.

E-bay is another great option.