Chicago quietly going country

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Steve Pastor, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hidden music scene worth searching for
    by Lindsey Tannner of the Associated Press

"Cowboy booted couples of all ages two-step around the dimly lit, scuffed dance floor to the likes of Willie nelson, Hank Williams..."

It's more old-timey country music, from honky-tonk to Rockabilly and Western Swing"

Anyone out there know anything about this?

2. Steve Pastor

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Now I do given you posted a link to an article that I read. ;) You can actually do two step to a lot of swingy songs... Am I right? I seem to see a couple people now doing that in my area....

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you can do rhythym 2 step ( or arizona two step as we call it because we travel line of dance) to any east coast swing song

5. Steve Pastor

I makes me a bit crazy when someone says, "Is this a [fill in the blank]" because, except for waltz, in the world of country western music (at least where I am) you can do a whatever to a lot of songs. (Some clubs and djs announce what partner dance is next, and that's ok, but...)

Country western Two step is most commonly danced as qq s s.
    East Coast swing can be danced qq s s.

West Coast swing is s s qqq qqq (in it's simpliest "call").
    CW Two step can be danced s s qqq qqq and be called double, or triple two step (probably among other names!).

Nite Club two step is qq s (again - just one way to "call" it)
    and old style, pre Urban Cowboy Two step was qq s.
    Salsa, too, can be "called" qq s.

Now, I've been doing this for a while, and it took me a while to figure this out and make it work. If I can find partners who are not afraid to try something different.

Then, too, there's that cowboy swing where you barely move your feet and just do turns wraps, etc., but I don' go there.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Seeing those patterns the way you present them is useful Steve. Thanks. The q have different values at times, but by pairing them up with dances I know I am able to determine their values.

7. Desertdance

Desertdance New Member

Completely agree, you can dance a 2step, some swings, inline (here anyways) to the same songs, and yeah, waltz has its own special bubble

8. Steve Pastor

Hey, DesertDance, welcome.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. Different time signature, so waltz is in a category all by itself. :cool:

Welcome, Desertdance. :)

10. Banjercat

Banjercat New Member

Hey y'all, I'm new to dancing but this seems like a good thread to bring up my question.

Here in New Orleans there is often partner dancing at a local "country night" which is usually a mix of old time, country, or cajun bands. The dance everyone mostly does is what I had been calling a Cajun Two-Step. Its basically as the leader just two steps left and then two steps right. Does that make sense and what would you call that dance?

You'll see some different dances going on too from the more experienced dancers but you can pretty much bet most people in the room are into the cajun two step if you ask them to dance. One other one I've seen and am learning is the cowboy jitterbug.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

isnt there a back rock after the two steps left then two steps right?? if so i have heard it called zydeco two step

or double time swing

12. Banjercat

Banjercat New Member

No back rock. I think I know what you are talkign about tho. If you look up "Zydeco Dancing to Lake Charles Two-Step" on youtube they are doing the dance I'm talking about at the beginning.

13. Steve Pastor

14. Banjercat

Banjercat New Member

Hey, the 8 count 2-step might be it but I really don't understand how the quick quick slow notation fits into it. Every step is either on or off the beat.

15. Vic1031

Vic1031 New Member

I think the count for WCS is s s qqs qqs (in it's simpliest "call")
    1 2 3+4 5+6

16. chuck4788

chuck4788 Member

I think the count for WCS is s s qqs qqs (in it's simpliest "call")
    1 2 3+4 5+6

True but a 3+4 or the 5+6 are just triple steps, 3 step for 2 beats of music.
    So a basic WCS pattern would be Walk Walk Triple Triple, all in six beats of music.

17. flightco

flightco Active Member

Don't know much about WCS but was told by a local studio owner that the ss qqq qqq is more of an entry step and the ss qqs qqs is more advanced. Again, don't know much about WSC, but this was a question I had for him and that is what he told me.

18. Steve Pastor

Slow and quicks aren't exactly the best way to describe dancing swing.
    That's because the time between the "beats" aren't equally divided, but then that's when you are actually dancing swing to "swing."

Although Skippy Blair states that if you are relatively new to Swing you should not be too concerned about it, the "count" that most accurately describes a WCS 6 count basic is:

&a1&a2&a3&a4&a5&a6

with the weight changes occuring on the bolded "counts"

1 2 3+4 5+6 works for most of us most of the time.

A "slow" can equal 1 beat or 2 beats, depending on the dance, and is a source of confusion. CW two step, and East Coast Swing can have slows that are 2 beats.

I agree that it's a good idea to introduce people to the concept of what Skippy calls a "rolling count" from the beginning, but use mostly the simpier count.

Anyone out there know about dancing in CW in Chicago?

19. Shane McSter

Shane McSter New Member

There's definitely a scene out there for CW, but it seems to have a different vibe... IDK, I was only there a few days and only went to one spot (this was about 2 yrs ago), Joes Bar on Weed St (yes I remember the street name). The night I was there they had a really good band playing doing originals and covers. There dance floor was actually nice and large. We were switching it up btwn 2-step and ECS mostly, but did see some couples doing the flashy style swing with almost no foot movement and lots of turns, holds and throws, which looks cool and all, but just doesn't seem very applicable.

They had an intro to 2-step and line dance class before the band played, but that was a mess as the place was almost full and everyone decided to try and follow the poor old lady teaching who was quickly overwhelmed by the mass spread of left feet effect she created amongst the crowd.

Regardless, the dance floor did stay fairly full till we left around 1am and I was glad that they did not do much line dancing throughout the night.