Chocolate Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Katarzyna, Aug 8, 2005.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The problem-- apparently-- is when the beans are taken to mkt, only 20% get labelled " fair trade " and all the slave labor beans, are mixed in with the major corps.crop.

It was an eye opener, to see how a" people " in the 21st. cent. , are still being exploited . If it happened in the western world-- strikes galore !!--- They cannot afford that luxury .

The same was true of Rice , also in Ghana--- average daily wage ? 50p( $1 )
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not to dismiss the human rights abuses that go on throughout the world, but...

The idea of average daily wage being $1 is a pretty meaningless stat without some idea of how much buying power it has (or doesn't have). And what is the economy like? Sorry...this is just one of those things that irks the economist (ha!) in me.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I fully agree. However, for just about anyplace, I can guarantee that $1/day is subsistence living.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

No argument. But subsistence living when it's possible to produce your own food and other stuff is very different than subsistence living when you can't.

Just a thought...
  5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

God Q-- that is what they have to feed a family AND buy their clothes and pay for school uniforms.. majority of the children, are under 12 yrs old, and cannot read or write .

The adults cannot find work, unless they are given it by the Bean producers .

want the ultimate irony ?-- they have never seen or tasted, the finished product !!
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

raw & dark chocolate has a strong reputation as an appetite suppressant.

i think chocolate gets such a bum rush WRT diet & health. i do not believe it's deserved. it's the milk & sugar in the creamier candy bar concoctions & cakes & cookies & such that are the culprits, IMO...
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I received a catalog and coupons yesterday from Godiva Chocolates. The catalog showed a very cute chocolate cat for Halloween ($10). The coupons are good for 3 free items from one of their collections. I might have to make a trip to Godiva soon.

:kitty:
  8. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I splurged and had some chocolate ice cream this past weekend. Probably contributed to the slight weight gain, too. :lol:
  9. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Where has this thread been hiding?!?!

I also received a Godiva catalogue in the mail, I purposely pointed out stuff I wanted to the BF. Dark chocolate anything please!
  10. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I bought some chocolate from a local store back during the holidays, but the size of the pieces was very disappointing, yet they are hard to pass up.
  11. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

I'd have to say Neuhaus is my fave. I also like Richart in NYC. Generally, Belgian choc is my fave, and then Swiss.
  12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Lessee, how do you spell 'r-a-t-i-o-n-a-l-s-a-t-i-o-n', hmmm? Where can you get good chocolate without fat in it.... Its the cocoa fat that really makes it. On the other hand, I do, and will believe you....
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

cocoa butter is very healthy... i don't have a paradigm that low-fat & low-cal = good health, vitality, or nutrition, or even weight loss. we see this subject thru very different-colored glasses. :)

chocolate comes from a plant that naturally has the highest magnesium content of anything i know of... that's very therapeutic... plays a big part in metabolism, in hormonal cycles, muscle healing, feelings of well-being, the ability to sleep.

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/supplements-cocoa-butter.html
  14. lcdancesport

mm hmm dark chocolate, especially the high cocoa kind are good, as long as you have it in moderation, maybe an oz a day? I've read it has anti-oxidants.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep, very high in anti-oxidants. much higher than blueberries or red wine.

really, choco-phobia is very... passé ::sniff:: :rolleyes:

unless you eat the crappy mainstream stuff that's filled with all kinds of other ingredients that are bad for you...
  16. lcdancesport

Normally I just go for the Dove dark chocolate. I tired Lindt's 70% cocoa reserve, but found it to be a tad to bitter for my taste. I'm open to any suggestions though, I like trying new things.
  17. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

for those who can't eat chocolate, anyone ever try carob? It's not so bad, esp if you get almonds covered in dark carob!! They're actually quite tasty.
  18. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

...speaking of Dove, what about their Dark Chocolate covered Ice cream thingy's?!
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

gack... lol. hate the smell.

my dad luvs that stuff, tho. called "poor man's chocolate" in greece, and we always had a carob plant in the house growing up.

but i have raw carob powder i add with raw chocolate to my smoothies. they taste good together... carob is high in calcium & chocolate is high in mag, so they're a perfect blend and taste very "dairy-ey" together.
  20. lcdancesport

So when does everyone like to eat chocolate, or is any situation occasion fine? :p