Chocolate Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Katarzyna, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Yes I know... England can be so expensive with the current exchange rate..

2. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

As our summer camp ends here, there are a lot of Little Debbie Snack cakes left for the staff and returning faculty. Actually, a couple of years ago we tried giving the kids healthy snacks -- raisens, nuts, bananas, fruit roll-ups, etc, but the kids didn't want anything to do with them. Just a lot of of good food thrown away.
    A lot of schools are now trying to go the healthy food route and getting rid of junk food vending machines. Good luck to them!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

A lot of the schools here are shutting down the vending machines except for after school snacks. During school hours, it's strictly the healthy stuff. As if kids don't know how to starve until 3PM, then fill up on sweet goodies? Sheesh! Give the kids credit for a little ingenuity. :lol: :lol:

4. lynn

lynn New Member

I wonder what kind of "healthy food" are they putting in the vending machine?? The way I see it, aside from fresh fruits and veggies (something i don't think you can stuff in a vending machine), there are very limiting number of healthy alternatives. I also think one of the reasons why kids go for chips & chocolates is because sugar/fat/salt is high addicting (no scientific proof to back up this statement but I'm pretty sure I read something in this context).

5. pygmalion

raisins, veggie chips, banana chips, crackers, cheese, trail mix, flavored rice cakes, low-fat popcorn, nuts, low-salt pretzels ...

100% juices and 100% juice cocktails

And there are lots of fresh fruits (and surprisingly vegetables) that kids will eat, if they aren't being bombarded with potato chips. :lol: :lol: Carrots and celery are biggies. -

There are lots of healthy alternatives, I think. A lot of people are just trained to eat junk, so their first reaction to real food is negative. But it's doable.

6. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

All that sounds good. Would sound better it you would just dip it in a little chocolate!

Oh no, then we are right back where we started :doh:

7. lynn

lynn New Member

Two thumbs up for this statement! When I was growing up, we never had junk food in our house - the only thing i could snack on were fresh veggies & fruits.... hated them when i was in high school b/c all my friends were getting chips while i'm stuck with an apple or tomato. But i did notice that i never develop the habit of eating junk food. Now even if i see bags of chips in front of me, i won't feel compelled to have to eat it.... Interesting.... I think healthy eating habit CAN be trained!

8. Katarzyna

:) but we are at least getting a healthier thing inside the chocolate :

9. lynn

lynn New Member

chocolate dipped apple/strawberry?? We'll coat it with dark chocolate so there's even more healthy benefit!

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I love chopcolate dipped strawberries. :)

11. Katarzyna

Yummy :) Home madechocolate dipped strawberries

12. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

mmm went to the melting pot last week.... gotta love fondue

13. lynn

lynn New Member

The only time i tried making home dipped strawberry i created a huge mess. I melted the chocolate with microwave and ended up burning them....

14. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I had to stay away from this thread over the weekend, because I was doing a 3 day watermelon cleanse. I knew I couldn't read about chocolate!
    I love dark chocolate! Godiva is my favorite. Lindt truffles in the grocery store are pretty yummy! I like SnoCaps, too.
    Rocky Mt. chocolate store is very dangerous. They have dark mazipan, orange peel, and all the usual truffles, oh, just everything, very big and very good and very expensive!

15. lynn

lynn New Member

*running to the closest grocery store to stock up more dark chocolates*

16. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I'll go get some candy too. Dime store (remember those?) variety.

squirrel nut zippers, strawberry-flavored "licorice" shoelaces, dots, bottlecaps, pez

Now that's candy. :wink: :lol:

17. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, i ended up with nuts instead...now how did THAT happen :shock: :? ??!!

18. pygmalion

Maybe cuz your coworker brought in extras? :roll: :wink:

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Serve with icecream :D

20. pygmalion

Or champagne and candlelight? :raisebro: