Chrisanne Nightmare.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Chrisanne Order Difficulty

I wanted to know if this experience is unique to me or if other people have had similar problems. At this point I'm doubting if I would ever attempt to order anything from Chrisanne again. Here's the story.

Last Monday evening (September 5th) I ordered about $260 dollars worth of fabric from Chrisanne to make a dress. It was after closing time there in England, so I knew it wouldn't get shipped out until the next day at best. They send me an order, tracking number, everything I needed. I'm so excited. Thursday comes around and I get an email, and so it begins.

The email says that there was a complete mix up between two packages. My order is on its way to someone else, and their order is on its way to me. They tried to reroute the package, but no luck. I am supposed to refuse the incorrectly sent package and it will go right back to them. They also say that they have duplicated my order and sent it out by UPS, except one of the items I got the last of, so if I want that item, I will have to wait for the package to get back to them from the other customer so that they can send it out. They also promise to call me.

I tell them that I'm not in a big hurry to get my package, there is no rush, so I can wait for my package to get back to them and then they can send it all together on to me. They tell me they will express it by UPS then which will take two days to arrive.

Time passes.

Saturday, a package comes from USPS (NOT UPS.) It has my name on it, my information, and a customs form that I can see has the information for my items. Now I am confused. I ask USPS to hold onto the package at the central post office so I can contact Chrisanne and find out if this is the right package. I email Chrisanne and tell them this. Monday, they email me back saying "Yes! That's yours, it came so quickly! Just refuse the other one when it comes." I'm ecstatic. I leave for school. My mother goes to the post office and gets the package and brings it home. In the meantime, another package is attempted delivered (from UPS) and my sister (I am still not home) refuses this one because that's what Chrisanne told us to do.

I get home later that night and the first thing I do is go to open my package. It's not my stuff. I go to send an email to Chrisanne saying that this is not right, and see that they sent me another email saying, whoops, we were wrong, that's not your package. Great. Now what? I send them an email saying this. The next day they respond saying that they are going to have a guy from UPS come today to deliver the right package and bring a shipping label to pick up the other one. This sounds great, this is finally going to be all sorted.

UPS calls me shortly after to ask if I really had meant to refuse the package and I tell them no, there was a mix up with the shipper. They say they can't deliver the package today because the area where international package sit was closed and they couldn't get into it until tomorrow morning. Fine, that's ok.

UPS is agreeing with Chrisanne, everything sounds good.

The UPS man comes today to deliver my package and to take away the other one. He takes the other one just fine, it's finally out of my hair. Then when he tries to deliver my package, he says there is a $30 brokerage fee with it. Chrisanne promised me they would cover all duty costs etc. I didn't have to pay any kind of fee to accept the other (the wrong) package. The UPS guy gives me an infonotice and a number to call so that I can ask them about it, and I call. They say the number on the infonotice is NOT for an international package, it's for an amazon.com package for someone else and they can't help me unless I have a tracking number which Chrisanne did not give me.

And that brings us to now. I called and left a voicemail (it's late there so they are closed for the day.) A simple thing like ordering fabric online should not be so ridiculously difficult. I don't understand how a company like Chrisanne can make such a terrible mistake. The materials they sent me were worth something close to $2000, maybe more (it was fabric and swarovski stones for a couple dresses!)

TL;DR
    Chrisanne shipped me wrong stuff, major headache ensued, I still don't have my stuff.

So the question is, have any of you ordered from Chrisanne (fabric or otherwise) and have you had similar problems?

2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I order fabric from their site all the time and have never had a problem. The customer service reps are always prompt and helpful in their emails and my packages usually arrive super fast. I am sorry this has happened to you... sounds like one of those weird flukes.

3. mindputtee

It wouldn't have been so bad, except I think the customer service rep has been telling me things that are not 100% true. She's been unclear in her emails about what was going on (telling me they had already duplicated and sent out my order via UPS, telling me that was the right package, telling me she had sorted the whole thing out with UPS so they would just come pick up my package and get the other etc etc)

4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

From what I understood from your post it sounded like a giant misunderstanding on both ends. Chrisanne has too much of a reputation to uphold to risk having CSRs purposefully giving misleading information. But then, I don't know all the details... I haven't read your emails or listened to the phone conversations so maybe I am the one not understanding.

However, I was initially responding to your question about whether any of us have had similar mishaps... I have only had good experiences with Chrisanne, which is why I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one...

5. mindputtee

I wouldn't say it's Chrisanne as a whole's fault, but this particular woman I have been dealing with (it's been the same woman) hasn't been particularly clear. I wouldn't say she has been giving purposefully misleading information either, just unintentionally misleading. I know there's been misunderstandings on my part too and perhaps I haven't been communicating as effectively as I should. If this all gets sorted out and I am very happy with the products, I might be willing to try doing business again with them in the future. It's just a little disconcerting when this is the first transaction I've ever had with them and it's been such a stressful headache.

6. Becca

Becca Active Member

I've had issues with Chrisanne. They sent me a dress once with an electronic security tag still attached to it, so I then had to pay £20 including postal insurance (which is the only option really when you have a £1,600 dress on your hands) to send it back to them to have it removed. I was told that the money would be refunded to me seeing as though it was hardly my fault, but I didn't ever get it back. I also received one dress with a couple of holes in it. I've asked for them to repair minor defects like this in the past and they've ignored me. I am beginning to get the impression that the dresses are rather poorly made - I just don't think that a dress of this kind of price should really fall apart so quickly after minimal wear? Or maybe I'm completely wrong and should just lower my expectations! Just my limited experience!

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It does sound like a nightmare.

A couple things. I think I heard you mention that the fabric you bought was the last of its kind, MP. I think. Please, please correct me if I'm wrong.

One. Years ago, I used to work in sales. The only truly irretrievable disaster that ever happened was when I had a major customer order several products that were in stock but discontinued. When it came time for the folks at the distribution center to fill her order, every.single.thing that could go wrong did. This substitution. that substitution. UPS truck that was late. Box of product that got lost. You name it. Every.single.thing. I ended up looking like an idiot AND a liar -- neither of which I was. Things just went wrong over and over.

Two. Chrisanne is a huge name in the ballroom world, unless I remember wrong is (or at least has been) a sponsor of some dance pros who participate on this board and is a frequent sponsor/advertiser in DF.

I suggest that you call or email them, yell if you need to and give them a chance to make it right.

8. mindputtee

This is why I am not going to pay the fee to pick up the package when they said they would pay those fees. Getting reimbursed for something like that is quite difficult, better to be preemptive I think.

EDIT:
    Most of the fabric was on sale, so I assume it is on clearance and while I didn't necessarily get the last of it, I DID get the last of the crinoline I ordered which is necessary for the dress. If they will make it right, I'll be happy and harbor no grudge against them. I certainly give them credit for being timely in responding, they have been good to respond within 24 hours (when the next day was a business day) almost every time. Granted, I was holding onto a $2000 order that they were probably eager to get back/send to the proper customer. We'll see what happens now that I no longer have that bargaining chip.

I called and left a voicemail (time difference, they were closed for the day!) I'll call again in the morning before leaving for school probably. It's likely the only time tomorrow I'll get a chance to have a conversation of any length with them.

9. pygmalion

Yes to this.

10. mindputtee

I edited my post to respond to your post, but you posted before I finished haha.

11. pygmalion

Sorry. :oops:

12. DanceLightly

DanceLightly New Member

Sometimes the quality is a bit shoddy and sometimes its okay. I've had one dress by Chrisanne that didn't even make it out onto the floor before pieces of fabric were falling off and another that made it through four or five comps before I retired it - still have it because it is really beautiful and would wear it again for a show or too.

13. mindputtee

Update: Chrisanne informed me this morning that I would have to pay the fee and they would refund it. I told them your story Becca and asked them to take care of it on their end. A few minutes later they emailed me back saying they had cleared the costs with the courier and I should be able to just get it. The CSR also asked me to put you in contact with her so that she could attempt to right that. I'll PM you her email and then you can decide what you'd like to do. Hopefully the package will arrive later today then and this will be over.

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

What an absolute nightmare for fabric, I truly hope, for your sanity this is the end of the line for the mix up. Fingers crossed.

15. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

What a nightmare! I've never had any problems with Chrisanne, but then I've always been ordering from within the UK and I guess the further away the more chance of things going wrong.

I have had problems with mail order companies though. It's a funny thing, but often once one thing goes wrong, everything else goes wrong and the whole process turns toes up. Never worked out why but it does seem to be very common.

16. mindputtee

IT CAME! IT FINALLY CAME! My fabric is heeeeeeere! I'm at school (of course) but I had my sister open it while I webcammed with her and it looks great from here. All in all, it took about 15 days to arrive, which really isn't that bad for an international package, it was just a little mess to get there. I guess all's well that ends well. I will give it to Chrisanne that they made a valiant effort and they got my fabric to me at no additional cost to me, just a little more time and a lot of emails.

:-D I'm happy now.

17. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Wow, I am glad that worked out! And I am so impressed that you can make your own dresses. I would love to see a picture of it when you are finished.

18. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I have to say... I've used a lot of different shipping/courier companies, and they are all IMPOSSIBLE to work with when it comes to redirecting packages or charges. Sigh.

19. pygmalion

I don't know about Chrisanne, but, when I worked in sales, the fact that it was impossible to fix screw-ups was because the company I worked for used outside vendors for shipping and because the distribution center was not local. So, when I placed an order, there were at least two other organizations (and a lot more than two people) that got involved in fulfilling it -- the shipping vendor and the company-internal operations department. If everything works right, the fifteen people who touch customer's package get it to them right on time. If anything goes wrong, every one of those fifteen people has to be re-contacted to set things straight. And, if the screw-up happens outside the originating company (such as in Customs or at the UPS hub,) the company's (in this case Chrisanne's) hands are really tied. They're dependent on the outside vendor to fix the problem at the same time that they're being held accountable by their customer for something somebody else did. Not easy.

I'm glad MP finally has her package. :-D Now all we need is pictures of The Dress. :wink:

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Great that it turned out alright in the end MP. :) I'll second pyg and say we definitely need to see "the dress".