Christmas Tangos

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Nov 26, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'm sure this comes up once a year. Are there any Xmas tangos?

or do we have to try dancing to White Christmas or Santa Baby or I saw Mummy kissing Santa Claus

("Everyone know there aint no Sanity Clause") Marx Brothers
  2. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

"Christmas Tango," Bob Curtis Trio +2 from the CD "Christmas Straight Up", 1997. But it's a ballroom tango, not AT.
  3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

does that mean the tempo is too fast?

maybe the answer is the "One Song to the Tune of Another" from "I'm sorry I havnt a Clue"
    eg singing White Christmas to the tune of El Choclo or Jingle Bells to Jalousie, but as a really bad singer i shall leave that to others. Alex, Korey how about composing something?
  4. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

No, it means this particular music has the Germanic march rhythm that's typical of ballroom tango music but not so typical of AT music.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

...mmmh, do you mean GERMAN-ic :cheers: or ger-MANIC ?
  6. Me

Me New Member

I am amazed that nobody has come out with a tango cover of I'll Be Home By Christmas.
  7. opendoor

little bit off topic

.. but do you celebrate Thanksgiving with Tango events too ?

Greetings over the pond !
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Had my coffee this AM and Jose Feliciano's Feliz Navidad was on at the coffee place.
    It's not a tango, but I couldn't help but think of this thread.
    It's pretty fast, and I would dance it more as a canyengue/milonga dancing mostly the strongest beat I could find in the music.
    There are lots of "breaks" in song, which would be a fun chance to use all of your "tango poses", or learn some if you want.
    Reference Luciana Valle and Alex Krebs dancing to, what?, a yiddish song? for ideas about how to go about this.
    (I'm not sure of Alex's ethnicity, but I know he spent time in Eastern Europe studying their music (as did one time state champion fiddle player Hollis Taylor) and has had a Gypsy night at Tango Berretin. OK now THIS is off topic!)
    Not a tango, but it's in Spanish!
  9. opendoor