Classical Ballroom Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by kindofblu89, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Tango? - The Gondoliers, "After sailing to this island" (5:57) by Gilbert & Sullivan - The tempo seems about right for tango, though the character is maybe more spiccato than staccato.

Quickstep? - Ruddigore, "So it really doesn't matter" by Gilbert & Sullivan

Quickstep? - Pirates of Penzance, "I am the very model of a modern major general" by Gilbert & Sullivan

Quickstep? - The Grand Duchess of Gerolstein, "Pif! Paf! Pouf!" (1:10) by Jacques Offenbach - The tempo is perfect for quickstep.

Tango? - Symphonie Espagnole, 1st Movement by Édouard Lalo

Tango? - Symphonie Espagnole, 3rd Movement by Édouard Lalo - I think tango fits pretty well except for the fast runs in the middle.
  2. Robin12

Robin12 New Member

Good luck, as the piece is in 5/4.

The Habenera from Bizet's "Carmen" would make a good tango.

The fugue portion from the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony would be a quickstep, albeit just long enough for contest.
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I know, having played it a number of times as an orchestral musician. The violin part is soooooo boring... So? :grin:

I suppose it might help to tweak American syllabus tango a little since it's usually phrased to the measure. So some quicks might get turned into slows, some extra steps might be added, to turn say a basic 8/4 syllabus figure into 10/4. Still, I don't think tango has to keep to the measure. :)
  4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

A Tango for dancers with legs of dissimilar length ;-)
  5. zcream

zcream New Member

So far, we have tango waltz and quickstep :)
    any luck with a classical piece for rumba ?
  6. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

The slow movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony; it may be too slow for rumba but then it would make a good bolero. (Not the whole movement.) There's a nice tango in the middle of the last movement of Beethoven's 1st piano concerto; it's only about 4 measures long though.
  7. old dog

old dog Member

How about Stranger In Paradise written for the musical Kismet (1953), but based directly on the Borodin opera Prince Igor (Russia, 1880s)? (Gliding Dance of the Maidens is one of the Polovetsian Dances in the opera according to my sources.) Try the Peres Blanca Band rendition on "Strictly Dancing: Rhumba" album (1992). There are a few other renditions of this tune with a rumba rhythm, but not many.