Clear bra straps absorbing dye - Any fix?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Me, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Me

Me New Member

I know clear bra straps are cheap, but I get tired of having to go out and buy new ones.

For my costuming, unless of course it is backless, I don't use bra cups. I prefer to use these really nice push-up deals from Victoria's Secret. However, I always need to use clear straps for costuming or parties.

But, as the majority of my clothes are black and red (yes yes very much a tango obsession here) the straps after a few wears pick up shades of red and black.

Is there a way to prevent this? Something to soak them in?

Thanks! ;D
  2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I assume you've tried to wash it out with Woolite or something similar?
  3. Me

Me New Member

Yeah... I've tried washing them but it appears that the plastic absorbs the dye. Just won't come out. :-\ I haven't tried bleach or anything, but...
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

No solution here, either. I've noticed that they also absorb spray tan which rubs off onto them. But other than replacing them frequently, I have no suggestions.
  5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

maybe hydrogen peroxide? Denture cleaner? Trying to think of something less destructive than bleach.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

How are they picking up the dye? When you clean the costume?
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i wonder if some white vinegar would do the trick...
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think it is not as much the straps picking up the dye which then sticks to their surface, it is almost as if oils in the skin surface react with the plastic somehow and cause it to darken.
  9. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Maybe there's something you can coat the strap with before wearing that would keep it from absorbing in the first place?
  10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Teflon bra straps? :p
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't understand. If the bra straps are picking up dye, you must be wearing them under the clothes, and not exposed. That being the case, why does it matter if they pick up color if they're covered up?
  12. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

oh wow this happens to me too!

(if anyone has a solution let me know)

Jeni
  13. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I have this problem too, but with tanner not clothing dye. When I layer up on the self tanner my straps turn tan too... which isn't a huge problem i suppose it just kinda grosses me out ;)
  14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Have you tried salt or bicarbonate of soda?