close contact *ahem* in close embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Peaches, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nonsense, yourself, mister!

I gots parts I don't want--moving or not. EEEEEW!!!

2. Peaches

Exactly!

Sweat is sweat, I don't much care unless it's extreme and there's no appreciable effort (see: mopping) to deal with it. But I don't really care.

But I don't want my partner to be thinking, "She's all sweaty, and wearing something sleeveless. Eeew, sweaty pits!" Or something like that.

My teacher makes me uncomfortable about that sometimes. We'll reverse roles so that I'm leading, and he always apologize for being sweaty. Which just leaves me thinking, is he being bothered by my sweat?

3. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I LOVE dancing close embrace, the closer the better! Maybe it was a bit weird at first, but mainly because we didn't have the right technique. Now too if I dance with someone who hasn't learnt to use his chest properly it feels awkward.

There are many styles of tango, and each gives you a different experience. Dancing open doing cool moves can be fun and exciting, but close embrace will give you something else. It would be a shame to miss out on that.

I don't know what would happen if I went dancing in Bs As and wanted to dance more open. I think most people would consider it strange. And the milongas are so packed that it makes it very, very hard anyway.

Sweat is no problem for me, but sometimes it can be a bit much when it is really hot and you are dancing cheek to cheek. Like when you can feel the other person's sweat run down your face... But it's all part of the dance, I suppose.

4. Peaches

I know what you mean. I love close embrace--so intense, so personal. There is one lead, hopefully to be my teacher soon (!!!), who will push me with open work, but the dance just loses so much that way for me.

The only time I ever say open embrace in BsAs was for a demo done at a milonga. I never once saw anything else.

Yeah--hot, sweat on face = bad. My last day, and last lesson there it was very hot and we were working on milonga. Both of us were just drenched. At one point sweat ended up running into my teacher's eye--oooh the cussing that ensued!

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

6. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I see (mainly young) people dancing open now and again, it depends on the milonga, though most of the more open style dancing seems to take place in the practicas in Palermo. At La Viruta when it isn't so crowded (Wednesdays and Sundays) many people dance open, and at some others when there is space. I hate it when my partner tries to dance open when there are loads of people around us. It won't work!

Most people who want to do more fancy stuff in the milongas seem to opt for a compromise - dancing in a very V-shaped embrace where there is more space for moves but you are more or less connected on one side.

7. In the milongas you should dance in close embrace. Its the usual thing. You dont have too much space to spare so you make small steps also. But you should also be able to manage other embraces too, some moves require more distance and the "flashier" steps are made not so thight.
    But in close embrace there is always that conection (also you may feel the legs-knees of your partner with yours).
    You should just work with the space and with the conection, the rest its relative.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that will get you everwhere darling...keep that coming...:cool:

9. fascination

awww arent you sweet...but really now that you know the truth you dont have to humor me like that...but thanks buddy;)

10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I spoke the truth!

11. fascination

okay, "not hard to look" at is fair...now, back to the subject....close or not close bare or not, wet or not...people are just people...and if'n yer gonna dance its gonna be a mixed bag....

12. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

... especially if you remember that I have a gift for understatement.

13. fascination

thank you...now back to our regularly programmed topic...i am going to get grounded otherwise

14. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Sweating is going to happen. I live in Florida where you can't walk from your car with out sweating a little most of the year. So I'm used to it. As far as the bare back. I find it very elegent and that's what I think of when I think Tango. A nice elegent long dress whith a slit to show of the leg (It's nice when the women add weights to the bottom of the slit).

15. Amordebaila

Amordebaila New Member

I love Argentine tango

I've found that if you focus on the dance that aspect of *ahem* contact is accepted as part of the dance and is something that is forgotten. Besides once, you become comfortable with the close position you may enjoy the *ahem* contact, depending on your partner.

My suggestion for your friend; help her to focus on getting very good at the technique rather than whether or not your partner may be thinking of the contact, i'm sure they don't mind at all.