Close to giving up.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dgarstang, May 10, 2013.

1. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

V. Waltz has very few figures. Left turn, right turn and change step. The hard part is in the technique of doing it well.

2. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

At CBD, bolero is played alot. Same with Samba, V.Waltz, and Quickstep. I like how everyone tries all the dances. They may not be able to do it well, but at least they give it a good effort.

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

So do we, about 1.5 hour east.

4. twnkltoz

Of course not. But if you dismiss them before you've given them a proper try, you don't know what you're missing. And instruction in WCS from a ballroom instructor is generally quite different from learning it from a WCS instructor. I can't even watch ballroom dancers do WCS. At competitions, I have to leave the room. Sorry, peeps.

stash likes this.
  5. twnkltoz

Also, neither rumba nor bolero is slow if you're doing them right.

Also, the tequila is kicking in, so I'd better get off the forum...

chomsky likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

must be...because, while I understand what you mean technically, I disagree, sort of

danceronice likes this.
  7. twnkltoz

Naw, I say that when I'm sober, too. With all the body action you should be doing, it no longer feels slow. In my opinion.

8. fascination

sure.....but, as I said a few posts back, when you don't have that technical background (as in the case of many people who take limited privates), bolero tempo, intl ru tempo, etc ...can feel like an eternity...in fact, most of the time they get off beat because they have run out of crap to do (they are too fast)...I see it in waltz and intl ft as well....

9. twnkltoz

Which comes around to the point I'm trying to make. Instead of dismissing a dance as being "boring" or "slow" or "made up", why not invest some time in learning to do it well to see if you enjoy it more? of course not everyone will like every dance. I have no love for salsa, but I do so many dances I don't feel the need to invest time and energy into learning to do it better...plus I know enough about it and have enough experience with dance I feel I've made an informed decision regarding that. In Doug's case, he is complaining that he sits out a lot because there are so many dances he's not interested in. I suggest his reactions to those dances are based on not giving them a fair enough shake.

Gorme likes this.
  10. fascination

on that, I completely agree

11. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

and many dances are a heck of a lot more fun when you can stop thinking so much and just dance.

twnkltoz and Gorme like this.
  12. fascination

13. dgarstang

dgarstang Member

I've been dancing for three years. I have a pretty good idea of what I do and don't like. I signed up for night club two step again this month. Looks like it may be cancelled though as only TWO people (including me) have signed on. I was thinking of taking beginner tango 2, which I'm beyond, but I'd stick with it, IF I knew they where going to keep it going, which I don't. They cancelled it at about beginner 4 a few months back. WCS... I'm afraid I'll never get that. I don't even understand the music. Is it supposed to be country? pop?

nikkitta: I can't imagine that's ever going to happen. Ok, maybe with the rhythm's, but in smooth... stop thinking and I'll be standing still. Gotta think.

14. millitiz

millitiz Member

Doug,
    I remember reading from other places that you don't want to compete (which is cool and fine). But do you want to give it another thought? I mean, from what I have read, you also aren't satisfied by the general crowd in the social dance scene, and you get "bored" by the basic patterns. Maybe, just maybe the competitions could fix it? Although it could deviate from your original goal - but that is how ballroom works for many people :).

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Tastes change. I hated foxtrot when I first learned it. It was awful and evil. Now it's one of my favorite dances. That was 2 years ago...

Gorme likes this.
  16. fascination

um....let me say this as politely as possible...I have been dancing 81/2 years atno less than 6 private lesson a week for most of that...and only recently, as my least favorite style become my favorite....never say never

17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Doug, I would take this advice. You mentioned your teacher suggested IGB (international grand ballroom)... perhaps you should try doing some pro/am competition there with her... Hear me out before you say no...

You are most comfortable with Waltz, Foxtrot, ECS, and cha cha, correct? Maybe try even just ONE OR TWO heat of each dance at the VERY BASIC levels at the competition. It is essentially just like when you go to your taxi parties and dance with your instructor (just with more make up ;) ) Yes, you will be nervous (take your medication if you have to). But I PROMISE you will survive... and feel accomplished. Despite feeling accomplished for overcoming a fear, you might decide it's not for you. That's fine. On the other hand, you might find the new love of your life in competing. AND you will meet more "proficient" dancers that might want to practice with you. See how it feels - i would strongly suggest trying competition at least one time before ruling it out. :)

If you decide you want to go about doing this, talk to your teacher about it and ask her what it would entail and what she would suggest signing up for.

Gorme, danceronice and twnkltoz like this.
  18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At the very least, I hope he'll consider going and spectating at IGB. I mean, competing there would be great, but since he seems dissatisfied with what dancing is providing him right now, I think it would be good to at least see and get more of a feel for what other options are out there.

danceronice likes this.
  19. fascination

that seems like a better first step...

20. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe Doug's biggest motivation for dancing is the social aspect. If that is still true, competitons may not be the path for him.

fascination and freeageless like this.