Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Welcome to Dance Forums, Synesthesia! I think most of us are very happy you aren't interested in grinding. This site tends very heavily towards the partner dances. Would you be looking for a partner dance you could do to that type of music? :)
  2. Synesthesia

Synesthesia New Member

Thank you very much! I hope to learn a lot. No, I am not looking for a partner dance, but a dance that is appropriate, meaning not looking sleazy, that I can use when I go to electro clubs with my friends so I don't feel like a complete bonehead for not knowing how to dance... ;)
  3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Welcome to Dance Forums, Synethesia!
  4. Synesthesia

Synesthesia New Member

Thank you, Ray! I hope to get some advice soon. c:
  5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I'm not familiar with that type of music/dance. Maybe you might be looking for something like liquid? You might find some info here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CC8F51A66444D195.
  6. Synesthesia

Synesthesia New Member

Hm, I will keep that in mind, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for! So, I guess the question is, how do I dance at clubs without grinding? I've seen other girls dancing non-partner, non-grinding dances, but I'm not sure what to call it! Tried finding a video, but I can't really find a specific. I hope you know what I mean? :)
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I can't really help, I just sort of bop awkwardly...Perhaps go to the club, and just watch for a bit. See what everyone else is doing.
  8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

For club dancing, the Groovaloos have a fun DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Groovin-Groovaloos-Learn-Hip-Hop-Grooves/dp/B001CDFYMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271213562&sr=1-1

Not sure if this is quite what you are looking for (it has a hip-hop flair that I like), but it makes me smile when I put it on. I've certainly put grooves from this DVD and others to good use when clubbing--including in "techno" clubs...
  9. Synesthesia

Synesthesia New Member

@Lioness - Yeah, me too, I look sort of foolish!
    @Ray - Thank you, but I am in no position to spend money right now. :/ As you know, times are hard and I am between jobs at the moment, but thank you anyway! I will definitely keep that in mind.

It looks like this is not going to be a very easy thing to accomplish. If you find anything, please let me know! :]
  10. blanche

blanche New Member

new to club dancing

Hi guys.First I must apologize for opening another "I can't dance" subject,but I really need a few tips and I see that people here are very nice and helpful.
    Ok.So I am a girl,I'm 17.I know that this forum is more about dancing with partner,but for now I am just interested in basic solo club dancing.I have been to clubs a couple ot times,but never got the confidence and courage to try "my moves".It's very dull to sit and watch with a bored look when everybody around you have fun.I really want to dance with my friends and have a good time.I am not preparing for a special event,I just know that soon there will be the moment when I'll have to stand from my chair and dance and have fun.
    Basically I've always thought that I am a disastarous dancer,with no sense of rythm and very stiff.Even when I am all alone I still feel uncomfortable when I dance.From time to time I try to dance in front of a mirror.It's awful and I don't like it,so i quit very fast.But that was until yesterday when I ran to this forum accidentally.This site inspired me to give it another try.So I danced in front of the mirror again and it was awful,but I said to myself that I don't care and I'll try to videotape myself,so at least to have a good laugh.So I did it.And OH MY GOD It wasn't that bad at all.It was very nice actually.:shock: I was completely surprised by myself.And today of course my enthusiasm is not so big,but at least I still think that there is hope for me and I am not so ridicilous,just a little bit probably.:)
    I want to ask you a couple ot questions.First to mention that I go to clubs with pop music,house,electronic in general,most of the things are some mixes with a lot of beat.But I just want to learn to dance in a way which is more or less appropriate for any type of club and any type of music.
    So I have some problems with the rythm,can you advise me how to determine it?
    Also I don't know how to move my feet.I can't stand in one place all the time of course,I make small steps and even turns,but it's a bit hard to do them and I think I do it in a funny way and wrong.Can you help me?
    I'll be more than happy to read any kind of suggestions,tips and so on.
    I am lucky that I ran to this great forum.I am sorry for the long post and for any grammar/spelling mistakes.:)
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to df...
  12. blanche

blanche New Member

Thanks.I am happy to be here.:rolleyes:
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not much of a club dancer...so I don't have alot of advice particular to that but taking groups lessons somewhere where they offer classes in club dances is probably a good start
  14. blanche

blanche New Member

Yeah,that's probably the best solution,because I feel that I can do it,but I just don't know how and which are the right steps and moves.Also I am confusing my rhythm a lot and therefore my steps are awful.But when it comes to my dancing I am so very very shy :oops:.Also I am not sure that I can find enough free time to go to dance lessons. :S
  15. dancygirl

dancygirl New Member

hey everybody,i want to describe my experience as I also had such a problem(It was something like an anguish for me to dance,i mean to start moving, but I also wanted to have fun with my friends) and finally I decided to have dance classes, where a professional could help me to feel the rhythm and firstly showed simple moves. and i managed to make friends with different people who are fond of dancing, they encouraged me very much. so ithink it's a good idea to go to some dance studio
  16. thegameksk

thegameksk New Member

I have a question about club dancing. I started going to clubs with my friends where mostly grinding is going on. My questions is how exactly do I ask a girl to dance? I imagine I dont just go up to her and start grinding on her but how can I ask her over the loud music especially if she is already dancing alone? HELP! THANKS!
  17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

If the music is too loud for a verbal request to be heard, I'd guess that some kind of "sign language" is being used. In other kinds of dance venues, holding out your hand is generally understood as a request to dance.

If she is already dancing alone, then you might want to go up to her, make eye contact, and begin dancing, without touching her at first. If she responds by making eye contact with you and begins responding to your dancing, then you're dancing together.

These are just guesses, though. You might ask your friends how they ask girls, or just watch and see what other guys do.
  18. Kits

Kits New Member

When I am at a rave or club Ill just start dancing by myself and then someone comes over and we just start dancing together.
  19. Uchaaa

Uchaaa New Member

Do you have good videos how to dance in the club? Want to learn with the pc and my mirror.
  20. jrkirby

jrkirby New Member

I rarely dance with a partner, mostly because that is almost exclusively dirty dancing in all my school dances, but I often dance alone, and I am not at all shy about that (my friends claim I'm the best dancer, even though I have almost no experience at all).

Anyone have advice on how to find a partner who isn't interested in sex on the dance floor (I mean dirty dancing)?