Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Pickmeuplove

Pickmeuplove New Member

:D thanks for the welcome everybody...such a nice forum. trust me, i've been to some mean ones...
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:lol: Believe me, so have we... that's why we're here now! Welcome to the DF! :D
  3. corvettefreak80

corvettefreak80 New Member

Help......I need help with rap/ hip-hop/ club dancing

Hi. I am new to the forum. I have been reading all the info of the posts on club dancing. I have learned a lot. Here is my delima. Awhile ago I tried to dance in a club and made a fool of myself. I am no good at this dancing. I have taken classes with my girlfriend for formal dancing like the Waltz and others, but this is different. I read that I should take salsa. I can pick up rhythm. I can even move my hips to the music. It still feels mechanical though. I am practicing. I dont have any idea what I am suppose to do with my arms while dancing. My girlfriend likes to go dancing. She knows that I am insecure about dancing. I want to get decent or even good. I want to go out with her and surprise her. Anything that means a lot to her, means a lot to me. If anyone could inform me of what I am suppose to be doing with my arms while I am in a group of friends dancing by myself and also what I am suppose to do with my hands/arms while dancing with her. Any other advise is welcome. Thanks so much for any information. It is much appreciated.
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Taking lessons will help. Everyone feels "mechanical" at first. Hip hop is funky & cool, salsa is suave & sexy. Take your pick, or just do BOTH! Whereas the hip hop arm positioning can be pretty much anywhere(although I don't care for that "mummy look" when they are just hanging lividly by their sides), salsa guys have their arms(palms down, no extending pinkies, PLEEZ!) at ribcage level, ready to easily connect with their partners.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi corvettefreak80. Welcome. :D

btw, have you seen the reviews for the 2005 Vette? Holy smokes! That's one sweet vehicle. 8) They redesigned it majorly. AND they lowered the price a bunch from the 2004 model. :idea: :roll: :lol:
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

My husband wants that one, Pygmalion! :roll:
  7. pygmalion

Not just your husband. I want one, too. :lol: The previous design looks masculine to me, but they've refined the shape a bit this year and rounded things just enough to make me really like it for myself!
  8. SwinginAngel

SwinginAngel New Member

I have a similar problem. It really hit me last night. I have pretty much avoided contemporary dance scenes but last night I went to my school's dance. A lot of hip hop was played. I find it so hard to dance to. I can move to it. I feel comfortable moving my body but after about twenty seconds into the song I get bored. There isn't enough change in the music, enough sounds to play with. It feels so repetitive. And I miss having a connection with a partner. Sure, you can have a partner during those songs but you probably won't have the connection which enables you to play off each other.

I even watched other people to see what they were doing. They weren't doing anything I am not capable of doing and it still looked as redundant as it felt. I didn't feel any awe in watching them like I do when I go to any social dance like swing or tango.

Does anyone else feel this way?
  9. pygmalion

Hmm. I kinda like solo/freestyle dance, but I can see why you might not, SwinginAngel, especially if the partner dance connection is what you enjoy most. To each her own, I guess. *shrug*
  10. alvaro

alvaro New Member

i'd like to dance hip-hop too so, which videoclips -as in MTV- would be good to watch and maybe get a few ideas/steps/moves/styling ...?
  11. dxxx1

dxxx1 New Member

help dancing at a club

hey everyone
    well heres the problem
    my friends always go to clubs but i have no idea how to dance
    i see guys just staying in a little area rocking out to themusic, but i cant even do that, i dont know "what looks good" or have any idea of how to move my body to just go with the music...pretty pathetic i know :) ......does anyone have any suggestions, or "styles" of dancing they do when at a club with techno music playing? any help is greatly appreciated
    thanks
  12. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

13. dxxx1

dxxx1 New Member

thanks for posting those links
    i read over them
    and i guess my next question would be, what type of dance do you think i should take lessons for? something thats very basic and a good basis for more advance classes to come?
    im in NJ if anyone knows any good studios
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome dxxx1!

Hip hop classes would be a good choice.
  15. lil.riceboi

lil.riceboi New Member

16. dxxx1

dxxx1 New Member

hey, thanks for the tips
    but im l ooking for tips on just...dancing to techno music, moving to the beat....moving shoulders, what to do with your legs, moving your head around,whatever i do looks really stupid lol and everyone else looks very "fluid" in motion and can move to the beat really well
  17. Plutoburn

Plutoburn New Member

Club Dancing

Can anyone share some basic/generic moves I can use on techno/trance/house music?
  18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

WElcoem to df Plutoburn. I don't know any but I cannot imagine there aren't some people here who do. Do be patient though, as weekends are usually slow. (Everyone is out dancing.)
  19. gte692h

gte692h Member

everything i've learned so far is by watching and imitating. I know its instinctive to somehow know every move in the book before stepping into a club, but i've found watching and imitating is the only way to start. don't be ashamed of your body, or how it moves when you start off. accept the fact that your body moves the way it does. you don't have to like it, but it helps to accept it and then dance. you will improve eventually.

when i'd go to clubs that featured serious trance/house music ( not the stuff they play in hip hop clubs as a sort of 'break' or 'intermission'), I'd go out to the back and look for the people with the glow sticks, and just imitate them.
    I guess the essential idea is to move your hands to the pace of the music. not necessarily the base, or the loudest beat, but the little stuff in between. treble, melodies: that's what i move my hands to. often, i'd see dancers doing a lot of hand movements with little glow sticks. imagine having a little ball in your hands, and you move your hands around this ball. and now imagine the ball going all over the place, and you're still trying to cover it with your hands.
    its real hard to put in words.. i started off mostly with the hand movements. as for the feet, i just did simple side steps, or an occasional turn. most of the action was in the hands.

the key is really to get comfortable doing whatever you feel, to the music. eventually, you get more fluid and stylish, and you come up with feet movements. like i said, the best way is to go up to the people with the little glow sticks, ask if you can borrow them, and sometimes they will even show you how to move them. although glowsticks might have a bad connotation ( drugs, raves, etc ) i've seen that they help with hand movements because you are essentially creating a little light show for people around you. and when its dark on the dance floor, with some awesome dance music, its a great feeling. eventually, you'll see your feet and hands starting to move in sync, naturally.

If you were looking for club moves, rather than a more individualistic style, i'm not sure.. i just go up to the girl, and start moving with her, swaying my arms a bit. i know a bit of salsa, so i turn her around a bit, or spin myself. ultimately, its about getting closer and closer to her. and getting her to match your rhythm, or vice versa. take your time. and be prepared to be rejected.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member